Any Gun Can Play: The Essential Guide to Euro-Westerns (Kevin Grant)

Just ordered the paperback for twnety-somethign euros. I can’t wait. A proper SW reference in English!!

As much as I love Ulrich’s book, I can only understand about 10% of it!

I got one of the hardback copies and it was definitely worth the price. Gets a solid two thumbs up from me.

Very comprehensive, very readable, and looks great too.

You ordered it from Fab Press directly Novecento ? When did you get it, mine is still underway. According to Fab Press website shipping should start this week for the limited edition.

No, I managed to get me one of the Franco Nero and Kevin Grant signed copies from the official book signing.

Ah OK, it’s clear now, thanks.

After reading Phil’s excellent review i’m more than ever eager to start reading it.

I wonder why it has taken so long after we got ours at the launch for other to get theirs? Maybe only a certain amount were printed at the time?

I’ve just finished reading Phil’s terrific review and I will definitely be getting this. It is also very reasonably priced on amazon.ca. I have been dissapointed by SW books before, most notably, that awful Spaghetti Heroes (Django, Ringo, Sartana) book, but this text looks just up my alley.

Yeh, that is weird. They’re probably still having packaging issues. I’m glad to have still been in the UK so was able to drop in, but I didn’t attend the talk or screening. Having said that the Blue Underground Blu-Ray is so good that I don’t think I’d ever want to watch it anywhere but on that format now. Out of curiosity did they screen it in Italian or English?

English, I’m afraid. :-[
Even so, that last shot, on the big screen, was worth seeing. And of course Franco’s presence made it extra special. 8)

I got mine on Friday and it’s a very nicely produced book with solid content. Previous books I’ve read in English don’t have much spaghetti specific research to back them up, rather they are discussions centered around what the author interprets from watching the movies. This book is different as it consults a fairly wide variety of sources and benefits from original interviews.

I have to say I agree with the author 100% on Keoma, I’d still like to know a bit more about the production of the movie.

I think we still need the likes of Ulrich Bruckner’s book translated into English to have the ulitmate reference guide but Any Gun Can Play is certainly the best English language work on spaghetti westerns to date.

Unfortunately the Bruckner book isn’t a pleasure to read and what he has to say about the films far from informative. It is mainly interesting for all the data. But these data you can find meanwhile also here in the database.
The better German book is surely the one by Kessler.

I’ve never seen Bruckner’s book (and can’t read German in any case), but I would certainly appreciate Marco Giusti’s “Dizionario del western all’italiana” in English which I’ve always viewed as the ultimate reference guide.

Interesting responses, maybe because my German is very poor I only view the book in a very superficial way and in that regard, it is the most comprehensive guide to SWs that I have. I should maybe invest in Giusti’s also.

After a long wait I got my signature edition today and I must say that it looks like it was worth paying and waiting for.

Got mine also today, and got a hernia from lifting it ;D Darn this is a heavy book, skipped through it rapidly and this is surely worth every penny. Not in a special packaging though, guess Fabpress was tired of waiting.

BTW i’m number 264 out of 500

[quote=“StefaanD, post:75, topic:2193”]Got mine also today, and got a hernia from lifting it ;D Darn this is a heavy book, skipped through it rapidly and this is surely worth every penny. Not in a special packaging though, guess Fabpress was tired of waiting.

BTW i’m number 264 out of 500[/quote]
Mine is 258 out of 500.

Cover designer John Coulthart explains how he achieved the desired effect “using tap water, a tea bag and a gas-ring”.

managed to get a copy at longlast through E-Bay! be a while for i read it yet though as i am working my way through two books about Italian cinema first. looks good though. By the way if you decide to get a copy from e bay watch who you buy it from it looks like there are a lot of con artists trying to peddle this book :frowning:

I really want this book, but have been holding my horses. And I don’t know why! I need to get off my lazy butt and order the darned thing. Sounds like a really good read.

I’m also thinking about ordering it! It must be a great read!!!