And God Said to Cain / E Dio disse a Caino … (Antonio Margheriti, 1970)

Thanks for the information :).

The Danes have a similar sense of humour. The original Danish title for Stranger and The Gunfighter was Borte Med Westen (Gone With The West). The Danish title for Gone With The Wind is Borte Med Blæsten which is nearly identical and rhymes with the aforementioned title.

Regarding And God Said To Cain am I the only one who noticed that one of the tracks in the soundtrack closely resembles Santa Claus Is Coming To Town? Given Kinski’s very red outfit in this movie it must be intentional and certainly hilarious :slight_smile:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:139, topic:495”]I have already ordered the German DVD
It’s a must have, in the best possible version

Release date:
IMDB says it premiered on february 5th in Italy, but Giusti (who usually is very precise on these things) says 1969; Casadio has '69 too. The italian SWdb has both dates, '69 in their list of films, '70 on the film’s page …[/quote]

Bruckner opts also for 5.2.70 as release date.
But it’s correct to date the film for 69, the year of making.

The german DVD hasn’t the correct aspect ratio, it’s in 1,78:1, but nevertheless recommended.

Duly watched it and realized that I had seen it before, quite a while ago. In fact I’m pleased to have rediscovered it thanks to scherps. The end with Steffen shooting into the room from a rooftop to stop Eduardo Fajardo from escaping the fires is so well done (mirrors and all). I watched the ‘…Cain’ ending to compare and both are good but so very different in style. Steffen matches (or maybe outdoes) Kinski in a depiction of cold-hearted fixed stare revenge - but Kinski and ‘…Cain’ get a bigger budget, protracted drawn-out tension (they obviously wanted to get as much out of this scene as possible), and the arty-farty clever camera-stuff. BUT - although ASIPB is gonna always be the poorer cousin to AGSTC, it is a damn fine film - gritty, nasty, and as rotten as they come at it’s hateful core. Steffen is absolutely brilliant in this.
What confuses me is how these two films could have been made so similarly, yet are credited to different writers ???

Actually - thinking about this, altho there are some similarities and Margheriti has obviously lifted some bits from ASIPB, they are very different films (revenge ain’t gonna win awards for originality in this genre) … I suppose what is confusing is why the same names - unless some sort of homage is in order, otherwise, as sherps says - Margheriti could’ve been done for plagiarism. A mystery maybe?[quote=“Søren, post:143, topic:495”]…Claus Is Coming To Town? Given Kinski’s very red outfit in this movie it must be intentional and certainly hilarious :)[/quote]
Santa Klaus?

http://imageshack.us

Now folks, if you really wanna know what God said to me, go to

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/And_God_said_to_Cain_Review

Another great review Scherp. This is a film I have been meaning to get for a long time. I really must get my arse into gear.
Can anyone recommend the best english friendly edition to buy?

I love this movie, it’s exactly how I like my S’ghetti: sinister, violent, atmospheric…

the German DVD unfortunately offers no English language options

[quote=“Sebastian, post:149, topic:495”]I love this movie, it’s exactly how I like my S’ghetti: sinister, violent, atmospheric…

the German DVD unfortunately offers no English language options[/quote]

That’s what I thought. I’m guessing Franco Cleef’s may be my best bet then?

as you can see in the SWDB, there’s also a brazilian letterboxed edition and an american bootleg box, both might also be an option…

The U.S box is all fullscreens I believe, which is a turn off. The Brazilian disc may well be good but I have serious reservations about sending my credit card details to Brazil. They are probably quite kosher but I am just not comfortable with it.

maybe Ralph_Alv can organize that

I have noticed the Ocean Pictures DVD’s for a little while now, but like Phil I’m reluctant to send any credit card details to Brazil. Has anyone managed to find any other sites that have the DVD catalogue available in Europe?

As far as And God said to Cain. I have the German DVD for location cap references, but I’ll make do with my dodgy old Fury At Sundown UK video for English audio until a better version is released. Although this is cut quite heavily.

AND GOD SAID TO CAIN review

After enduring ten years of hard labor for a crime he did not commit, Gary Hamilton (Klaus Kinski) is given a a presidential pardon (preposterous, but who cares?) and is let out of prison. After ten years of shoveling and smashing rocks in the hot sun there is only one thing on his mind, revenge. Revenge on Acombar, the man who framed him. Gary soon finds out that this same man is now the wealthiest land baron in the territory and is also sleeping with his wife. Gary purchases a rifle and (with what seems to be a never ending supply of bullets) sets out to extract his revenge on Acombar. But before Gary can get to him he must face 30 of Acombar’s bodyguards during a conveinantly well timed tornado at night.

Antonio Margheriti (better known as Anthony Dawson or Anthony S. Dawson) returns to his horror roots to direct this suspenseful revenge story.
The movie has some fabulous atmosphere. The character of Gary Hamilton is treated as a supernatural by the villains. Wind picks up whenever he appears, animals make strange noises when his name is uttered and his arrival is signified by a threatening Tornando. This all adds to the horror element of the movie (also the fact that a large portion of the film takes place at night).

It’s a good little western with a few atypical twists. However it doesn’t all go off without a hitch. There is a very nasty pacing problem during the 45 minute storm segment where Hamilton hunts down each and every one of the villain’s gunmen. Hamilton does this by firing from windows then ducking before the return fire reaches him and by firing his rifle from holes on the ground when down in a tunnel system under the town’s buildings.
This goes on for quite awhile. I’m sure you can agree with me when I say there is nothing more dull than some prick hiding behind a barrel and randomly picking off people every now and again. I Hate to see that in westerns.
It’s alright if it’s used once or twice but when several action scenes are devoted to it for long periods of time something is certainly wrong.

In it’s defense there are some really creative death scenes, an interesting use of a church bell as a weapon is of particular mention, however there is a severe lack of them overall. Too bad.
I also thought that the virtually non-existant tornado should have played a larger role in the film as opposed to making a few cameo appearences as a gust of wind every now and again (they had a nice dust devil effect in “Matalo!”. Why not here?). Perhaps the twister could have taken out a few baddies? mmm? Just a thought.

The cast is a good one. Kinski stars as the anti-hero Hamilton. It’s almost a sick joke casting Klaus Kinski as a hero. The famous actor played mostly villains throughout his entire career and I have yet to see him playing a good guy in a spaghetti western. I suppose he liked the role because he would usually snag a part where he was on set for as little time as possible for as much money as possible.

Peter Carsten as the greedy Acombar does his job as a slimy no good and the pretty Marcella Michelangeli is unforgivable as Hamilton’s cheating wife.

Composer Carlo Savina makes a good soundtrack here. I really like the title theme.

Despite it’s faults And God Said To Cain is a welcome addition to any spaghetti western library and worth picking up.

I’ve been wanting to see this for ages & I wasn’t disappointed at all. ;D

A bit rough-around-the-edges, but very atmospheric & incredibly gothic. It even slightly resembles Corman & Bava in places.
It’s also great to have Klaus Kinski making a full appearance for a change.

A must-see IMO.

i have owned this for quite a while now (about 2 years) and still haven’t watched it, ill have to give it a watch soon.

i did a review for this. here is the link to it Obscure Movie Review: Episode 3 - And God Said to Cain - YouTube if you like it please give it a good rating and feel free to comment please subscribe also.

Excellent review! I haven’t actually seen this film but now i think i’m going to be seeking it out in the near future! :slight_smile:

Great reviews Scherpschutter and YourPallbearer too :wink: I haven’t seen Stranger In Paso Bravo either and may have to also find a copy of that for comparison :slight_smile:

Man, I wish this film was more readily avalible.

Of all the great sounding spags Ive yet to see, I have to say this is one of the films I want to see most of all.