And God Said to Cain / E Dio disse a Caino … (Antonio Margheriti, 1970)

My first viewing from the Vengeance Trails set - and what a perfect movie to start with. My main worry when watching was that the tornado was only going to be in the last 5 mins or so - similar to how the eclipse in Requiem for a Gringo was just for the end gunfight - but I was gladly surprised to find the majority of the film takes place during it. The spooky atmosphere while all of Acombar’s men are sneaking around looking for Gary was great, and the way Gary dispatches of some of the head henchmen were super cool (my favourite being the church bell). I thought that Acombar accidentally shooting his son was a really cool twist. The final showdown between Gary and Acombar reminded me a lot of Enter the Dragon and was really awesome. Overall, I’d probably give it an 8 or 9 out of ten, with my only issue being the slower than usual start.

One little bit I didn’t quite get was when one of Acombar’s men (I think he was called Frank) shot the Butler to save Gary. I don’t really get why he did this, unless I maybe missed something earlier on?

1 Like

I love the almost gothic horror feel Margheriti instilled into both this movie and Vengeance.

3 Likes

Great commentary track by Howard Hughes on this. I was wondering when we’d finally hear him get to do one.

3 Likes

What is the last line of Don Powell’s big opening song (for that matter also the closing words of the movie)? “You’ll face the judge / and he won’t …” what??? The “Vengeance Trails” subtitles have “be me”. Which to me doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but I keep listening and I can’t do any better.

1 Like

I think you’re right. The judge line presumably refers to God’s Judgement - which fits with some of the undertones present in the Italian dub at least.