And God Said to Cain - any good dvd releases?

Ooh curious! Having said that, I don’t remember thinking there was a large plot hole in the French release. Maybe that dialogue was cut because it ruined the suspense? Any chance you could upload that short section to youtube?

In the name of Kinski! Wow, yes. I imagine the film would be much more of a suspense oriented film rather than more of a straight revenge picture. Interesting.
I will get the scene up on Youtube sometime this week. Good idea. I didn’t get a chance to work on the film much today, the audio is still slightly off. I have a feeling there are additional 1-2 second differences in the two versions.
I shall keep you all posted. I have to admit, this is not fun work. Kudos to the good folks who have created these “fan” edits in the past.

The Italian VHS seller was full of it. There is no extra footage. There is actually a missing shot from 57:03-57:17. This shot is in both the French and Franco Cleef versions.
I have not seen the Cult Cine version yet, but it looks as though:
French version: Proper aspect ratio, missing a crucial couple of seconds.
Franco Cleef: Better looking color and contrast, but incorrect aspect ratio. In English.

[quote=“emonster, post:43, topic:2067”]The Italian VHS seller was full of it. There is no extra footage. There is actually a missing shot from 57:03-57:17. This shot is in both the French and Franco Cleef versions.
Franco Cleef: Better looking color and contrast, but incorrect aspect ratio. In English.[/quote]

The French SNC / M6 DVD is the source of the Cultcine version.
Cultcine added only the English language.
Cultcine steals from international DVD releases: Koch Media, SNC / M6, Seven7.

[quote=“emonster, post:43, topic:2067”]The Italian VHS seller was full of it. There is no extra footage. There is actually a missing shot from 57:03-57:17. This shot is in both the French and Franco Cleef versions.
Franco Cleef: Better looking color and contrast, but incorrect aspect ratio. In English.[/quote]

Thanks for keeping us updated emonster. For me the correct aspect ratio on the French disc is the clinching factor as the image quality was fine. I am still to buy any French disc of poor quality so far!

Any chance you could transcribe that missing scene or upload it to you tube? From what you say, it might be for the best that it was left out rather than giving the whole plot away!

Hope you did not pay a great deal for the Italian VHS.

Here is the scene cut from the French version.
[url]- YouTube
I paid $20 for the Italian VHS. I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve been using ebay a long time and never had someone lie so blatantly about an item. Oh well.

[quote=“emonster, post:47, topic:2067”]Here is the scene cut from the French version.
[url]- YouTube
I paid $20 for the Italian VHS. I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve been using ebay a long time and never had someone lie so blatantly about an item. Oh well.[/quote]

Thanks so much for posting that emonster! Yup, it’s definitely cut out of the French release. Personally I like how this missing scene is shot along with the music, but I wonder if Margheriti himself chose to have it cut. I mean it is odd to have the old man basically explain the whole plot before it naturally unfolds. In terms of the plot, it’s probably better for it not to be included in my opinion.

Sucks that ebay seller mislead you! Have you contacted them?

I also see what you mean about the color difference, although I wonder which looks better in the night time scenes which are the majority.

The Triple X version does not have an English audio option (just Thai and German) and is fullscreen and badly cropped on both sides.

It cost me $10 to find that out so you don’t have to!

Bronson

Here is a comparison between Medusa (2,35:1) and e-m-s (1,85:1) DVDs (both uncut)

I finished watching this for the first time just several minutes a go.
The print I had was the uncut version…though,for a while,I thought that perhaps it was missing a scene.
What made me think this,is that Dick demands to hear the truth about his Dad from Gary Hamilton("Are you sure you can handle it?"I think he says).
So,I expected there to be a scene where Gary does indeed explain his thirst for vengeance against Acombar.
Well,that scene never occurs.
So than I thought that perhaps it would be explained later in the film where Lee reveals to his Dad that Gary told him everything.
Well?Tell the viewer(s),dammit!I wanna’ know.
I was kind of left scratching my head once the film ended,thinking that perhaps this was not an uncut print after all.
I immediately went to Youtube and found the uncut scene that is posted above.
A-ha…this scene does occur in the print that I watched…so I didn’t miss a damn thing…even though,I still didn’t quite understand it all either…

[quote=“bladerunnerblues, post:51, topic:2067”]I finished watching this for the first time just several minutes a go.
The print I had was the uncut version…though,for a while,I thought that perhaps it was missing a scene.
What made me think this,is that Dick demands to hear the truth about his Dad from Gary Hamilton("Are you sure you can handle it?"I think he says).
So,I expected there to be a scene where Gary does indeed explain his thirst for vengeance against Acombar.
So than I thought that perhaps it would be explained later in the film where Lee reveals to his Dad that Gary told him everything.
I was kind of left scratching my head once the film ended,thinking that perhaps this was not an uncut print after all.
A-ha…this scene does occur in the print that I watched…so I didn’t miss a damn thing…even though,I still didn’t quite understand it all either…[/quote]

No opinion on this movie for me yet, but I just wanted to comment on your name handle. Blade Runner Blues is one of the greatest ambient scores ever conceived. Vangelis is a god.

[quote=“bladerunnerblues, post:51, topic:2067”]I finished watching this for the first time just several minutes a go.
A-ha…this scene does occur in the print that I watched…so I didn’t miss a damn thing…even though,I still didn’t quite understand it all either…[/quote]

LOL sometimes this happens to me too. Usually watching it again should clear it all up.

Yeah…I am still not quite sure what the old coot said.
Someone care to shoot me a PM explaining it,so as not to spoil it for those that have not seen it,?

“There´s nooo Kinski like Klaaaus Kinski like…”

I bought the Vigilante Western Collection because this one and Four of the Apocalypse were in it. The picture quality was bad enough already from the start, after a while the colors slowly diminshed, and during the scenes in the cave the whole darn thing had turned black and white.
What did i expect, really?
Although it still remains on my dvd shelf i won´t view this edition ever again.