And God Said to Cain - any good dvd releases?

New to the board. Been lurking for a couple years.
Was “the best version” debate ever settled for And God Said To Cain?
The French one seems to be the correct aspect ratio, but no English. Does anyone own this version?
Anyone own the Brazilian version which just says “wide screen” but has the English language track?
Thanks for any help.

French release is the best version re quality and correct aspect ratio I have seen so far.

The German Release from EMS is good too but it offers only German and Italian Audio.

I have the French release and can confirm that it is great. However, you need to be able to understand Italian or French.

[quote=“djvaso, post:20, topic:2067”]…and with this silly cover.
[/quote]

All the SNC releases have similar cartoon style covers.

Plus the best name has to be the French “And the Wind Brought the Violence”.

Best english version is probably the Franco Cleef DVDR.

This is true. But depending on whether you feel like giving Cultcine any money, they use the French dvd as source print on their english audio version.

I would have assumed an English subtitled version with Italian audio would be more popular in English speaking markets.

Always view all Spaghetti westerns with english audio, part of their cheesy charm for me. The only exception to this rule is Spaghetti westerns that never had english audio in the first place.
But everyone is different of course as I know you like the Italian audio in alot of cases.

Yeh, I can see where you’re coming from with that.

[quote=“djvaso, post:20, topic:2067”]…and with this silly cover.
[/quote]

I find this are very interesting covers.
These covers were created in collaboration with Fluide Glacial. Fluide Glacial is a magazine with current affairs and political conditions is presented in a humorous Comik-like manner.

SNC / M6 wanted to move to this provocative covers a forgotten genre, such as the Spaghetti-Western, back into the limelight.

Unfortunately, the cooperation between SNC / M6 Fluide Glacial is now finished.

Very sad ! I found this was an interesting idea. And away from the monotony that surrounds the cover and other releases.

Thanks for all the great help. I think I’m going to give the whole fan edit thing a try.
I don’t know anything about Cultcine and even mentioning the name here seems to bring up contentious debate, so I’ll gently bow out of any of those arguments.
I just ordered the French version from Amazon.com en Francais, and will lay the English audio over it as well. I also won an ebay auction for the Italian VHS version which supposedly has 12 additional minutes and I’ll try my hand at creating a workable .srt file. Slap it all together and hopefully have a pretty cool fan copy of the film.
Thanks again for all the help.

Keep us informed on how the project goes :slight_smile: .

This is one film I desperately want to see, but have been seriously struggling to find.

[quote=“The Stranger, post:31, topic:2067”]I find this are very interesting covers.
These covers were created in collaboration with Fluide Glacial. Fluide Glacial is a magazine with current affairs and political conditions is presented in a humorous Comik-like manner.

SNC / M6 wanted to move to this provocative covers a forgotten genre, such as the Spaghetti-Western, back into the limelight.

Unfortunately, the cooperation between SNC / M6 Fluide Glacial is now finished.

Very sad ! I found this was an interesting idea. And away from the monotony that surrounds the cover and other releases.[/quote]

Thanks for the background info Stranger - very interesting!

Is that 12 additional minutes not included on the French release? I’d be really interested to see where those are from.

The French release and all others list the running time as 96 minutes. This VHS I bought lists the TRT as 109 minutes. We’ll see. I don’t even have the tape yet. I’ll keep you all informed as to what there is.
I just discovered And God Said To Cain and it’s real high on my ever-changing list of favorites right now. I’ve been wanting to try to make subtitles and play with changing soundtracks and this could be a cool opportunity. If the extra minutes are all a big fat lie, I’ll just drop it and stick with my Franco Cleef copy.
Thanks.

I doubt that such a version exists. The 100 min runtime (=96 min Pal) is most likely uncut.
In this case the Italian runtime according to Anica.It is even shorter with only 98 min.

This is harder than I thought. I got the French version and the Franco Cleef version. The French version, as stated a couple of times in this thread, is the correct aspect ratio. However, the colors are much more washed out and the picture has much more contrast than the Franco Cleef version.

I also thought there was a big audio problem. I couldn’t get them to sync. This morning, I discovered that the Franco Cleef version has about a minute and a half more footage. When Gary Hamilton is buying his rifle, ammunition, and horse. The two men look at the sky, pondering the incoming tornado. In the French version, the next shot is Acombar (sp?) shooting. In the Franco Cleef version the scene continues for a minute and a half, and this is important stuff. The old man reveals the entire plot of the movie. If you have only seen the French version, you are really missing out. It’s only a few lines of dialogue but it’s the meat of the story.
I’m curious as to how CultCine compensated. I’m going to use the Franco Cleef footage for that 1.5 minute.
I still have not received the mythic extended cut VHS in the mail. We’ll see about that, and like Stanton, I remain ever pessimistic.

Interesting, keep us posted.

i have the osean chores version