Adiós, Sabata / Indio Black, sai che ti dico: sei un gran figlio di … (Gianfranco Parolini, 1970)

Well, not exactly one-star, I couldn’t bring myself to give a one-star rating to a film with such a beautiful score (even if it’s out of place), but definitively a two and it would be a 1.5 if the poll accepted that (actually, I have yet to vote on any poll, because just 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is not enough choice for me).

I was under the impression that the one-star rating was reserved for the films of Crea. ;D

[quote=“I love you M.E. Kay, post:61, topic:96”]Well, not exactly one-star, I couldn’t bring myself to give a one-star rating to a film with such a beautiful score (even if it’s out of place), but definitively a two and it would be a 1.5 if the poll accepted that (actually, I have yet to vote on any poll, because just 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 is not enough choice for me).

I was under the impression that the one-star rating was reserved for the films of Crea. ;D[/quote]

For me it could be, but I’m afraid there are a few more one star movies, especially among the comedies

I like the Trinities, and a couple of other comedy spaghs, but overal that part of the Italian western production has given me more headaches than any other genre (I usually avoid genres I don’t like, but because I love spaghettis, I see it as a kind of obligation to watch a comedy western every now and then)

Not if one likes Crea’s SWs.

Adios Sabata. For me all 3 Sabata films are pretty close in terms of quality, and are also very close in their failures. Adios Sabata is a film I called mediocre and stupid 20 years ago, when I first watched it on TV. But I thought the same about Sabata and spared me to watch Return of Sabata.

In the last years I began to like all 3 and give them all a good 6/10 rating. But Adios is the best of the 3, and I still like Return a bit more than the first.

What makes Adios Sabata worse than the first Sabata (apart from Brynner’s carnival costume)? Where’s the big difference?

I think the main problem is that they tried to do the same kind of film, but with a bigger scale, so Gianfranco Parolini seemed to have felt the need to go even more campy and over-the-top and that just doesn’t work. As if they tried to cram too much into the film, it feels overstuffed. More gimmick, more tricks, more characters, more silliness, more everything. More doesn’t always equal good (especially in a series that is already bloated like this one). To me, Adiós, Sabata lacks all of the charm of the first one, it’s like they replace the stupid playfulness with just more stupid. The action in this one is more drawn out than ever, it feels like we’re just waiting for the pieces to fall together, Sabata didn’t have the best action, but it was a lot more spontaneous. And like I said in my review, I disliked the characters here (especially the two that barely talk), while I at least liked some in Sabata. Oh, and I’m not a big fan of the look of the film.

Okay, so uneven action scenes, characters I don’t give a rat’s ass about and a score that doesn’t mesh with the silliness, that doesn’t necessarily make an awful film, but throw in the awful “more is more” attitude (not something that always bother me, but like I said, in this case…) that prevails here and you come pretty damn close. With all this and the fact that it’s overlong, I thought it was much worse.

I’m already not a big fan of Sabata (it’s a 6 or 6.5 for me), I think it’s a decent film that benefits from having Lee Van Cleef and William Berger in great form. If it didn’t have those two in the lead, it would be the last movie in my list of good spaghetti western.

I hope that makes it clearer. I can understand how anybody could like it more than I do, but different taste for different people, I guess. After all, I love Sonny and Jed. :wink:

parolini rules! i loved all his westerns!! 8)

[quote=“sartana1968, post:65, topic:96”]parolini rules! i loved all his westerns!! 8)[/quote]Even Johnny West?

[url]http://img69.imageshack.us/i/indblack.jpg/[/url]

Now who said there’s only one real Sabata ?

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Adiós_Sabata_Review

Another very well done review.

And this time for a film I would describe very similar. (But I like Spalla a bit more)

I often think if Lee van C had played the lead, the film would be in our top 20, or at least damn near to it.

I second that! :slight_smile:

And I third that (even though I still dislike the movie). I’m not surprised to learn that Yul Brynner was difficult to work with, I’ve actually heard similar stories for all of his movies that I have seen! Funny guy.

He didn’t like Reed for being a communist, well let’s not forget that Brynner himself was an Russian expatriate. I was always thought of Brynner as one of those theatre more kind of actors, that even behind the camera always thought that was in the stage.

i don’t know this

Just finished this one and enjoyed it a lot, although I liked the first one better.
Does anybody know if that scene of Yul Brynner throwing the knife to the Colonnel, stabbing him through the canvas and then ripping it all the way to the floor was taken from some other movie? Because that’s pure genius, one of the best shots I’ve seen in quite a while and if Parolini came up with it then it’s one of the prime examples of why I enjoy SW and B-movies in general. Those strokes of genius waiting to be discovered. Just brilliant.

[quote=“cochino, post:73, topic:96”]Just finished this one and enjoyed it a lot, although I liked the first one better.
Does anybody know if that scene of Yul Brynner throwing the knife to the Colonnel, stabbing him through the canvas and then ripping it all the way to the floor was taken from some other movie? Because that’s pure genius, one of the best shots I’ve seen in quite a while and if Parolini came up with it then it’s one of the prime examples of why I enjoy SW and B-movies in general. Those strokes of genius waiting to be discovered. Just brilliant.[/quote]
i don’t like that scene i prefer bryner to kill him with a gun and not with a knife

i like Adios Sabata a lot more than Sabata, to be precise Sabata was a letdown for me
and i think Colonel´s death is one of the most inventive villain killings in the genre
not a big fan of either LVC´s character or Brynner´s (Sabata or Indio Black), but latter is pretty good action western

I too.

I saw bits of Adios Sabata on TV a while ago when the whole “trilogy” was in frequent rotation on either Starz or the Western channel and burst out laughing when Brynner showed up in his hilariously gay uniform. I really like the first one for all the reasons I shouldn’t, its the Big Trouble In Little China of spag-westerns if that makes any sense. From what I’ve read Adios Sabata is a good movie that needs Cleef and looks like shit for the most part. I bought the 3 dvd set but have only watched the first one and goddamn I hate Return so I’ll give it a go!

I understand those who like this one better than the first, it’s more stylish and has some really well done scenes but I’m a huge LVC fan so I’m always gonna like the first one better just because of him. And Dean Reed is no replacement for Berger either. If only LVC would’ve been in this one it would be the best without a doubt. But as they are, I still like the original a bit more, but just a little bit.
Too bad all those horror stories about the third one, haven’t seen it yet and I’m not sure I’d want to.

the first sabata has nothing to do with the last one
there two completely diferent movies only the title was the same :slight_smile:

[quote=“sartana1968, post:79, topic:96”]the first sabata has nothing to do with the last one
there two completely diferent movies only the title was the same :)[/quote]

we know :wink: - that´s why i like Adios a lot more