Adios Gringo (Giorgio Stegani, 1965)

Already received the Thai DVD. English dub and image looks sharp, later Iā€™ll post some screens.

Here they are:

Nice, thanks for posting.

Oh yes, they do look good

I think Iā€™ll order this disc too.

Iā€™m very happy with my copy and recommend it.
Guess my upcoming purchases will be focused on English friendly Triple X features.

[quote=ā€œp.pereira, post:45, topic:962ā€]Iā€™m very happy with my copy and recommend it.
Guess my upcoming purchases will be focused on English friendly Triple X features.[/quote]

Be carefull p.p, the quality of those Thai releases apparently varies a lot, look what Chis has said on the release of My Name is Pecos on the movieā€™s thread

Yes. The first buy was promising but Iā€™m aware of those issues. Pecos is out of my listā€¦
Nevertheless I already ordered some others which didnā€™t find any feedback. As I receive them Iā€™ll try to post some screens for others to judge before buying.

I just watched this one on the XXX label and I think itā€™s one of Gemmaā€™s better films.

Got myself the flu on the end of the year, bed and my watch pile near by, in any case sleeping as prove to be a better choice.
But kept my self awake to watch this one, I choose it cause I been talking with some older folks, that are 10 or 15 older than me, (my coffee mates now all remembers watching SW when they were younger) and remember seeing Gemma westerns in the cinemas, and that he was a well known star in those days, this was kind of surprise to me (it really shouldnā€™t have been if Iā€™ve done my homework, is not by chance that the few Portuguese DVD editions of SW include at least 3 Gemma SW). Normally we see things through our own experience or perspective, and projected it like if it was the general norm, I started to see SW with the Trinita films, forgetting that there was a story behind, now he have internet several DVD companies itā€™s easy to have access to everything, but in the past were the local cinemas that made the success of an actor, this to say that to my surprised Gemma was an well know actor even before the arrival of Trinita. Got this friend that after notice that I had all the Ringo films, went in a rush to buy them all, saying that he used to go to the local cinema in the past with his father, to watch pictures with Gemma on it.
Adios Gringo is a very pleasant film to watch, perfect for the big screen, with a story similar to the classic American western with an happy happy ending and everything, maybe the most SW touch in this picture happens near the end in the scene where the villain kills his father, pretty SW I think. The story also focuses in mob mentality, which as far as I remember was also a regular theme in American Westerns. There are some parts that resembled Rio Bravo, and the final scene with the doctor and the Sheriff has a Casablanca feeling in it.
Gemma was one of those actors that kept improving with time, actually I saw him first in those Angelique films with Michelle Mercier, and by the time of Desert of the Tartari he was indeed a much better actor. In any case was the perfect actor for these more public friendly westerns, letā€™s just say that if I had a son (only a girl till now), and wanted him to start watch some SW this one most probably would not be a bad choice for a first view.
A nice enjoyable film, on the classic side of SW, typical classical soundtrack with a nice main theme, even the Italian locations werenā€™t that much of a drawback except on the desert landscape Mesa scenes, and in any case people back on those days that these films were made didnā€™t really car about those issues, most of them didnā€™t know more than the place they lived so.

4 stars

Just watched this one. Not quite as good as some of Gemmaā€™s other spaghettis but definitely an enjoyable one. 3/5 stars

Been wanting to see this for a while, and finally did. I did not like the opening scene, which felt like I was tossed in the middle of a plot without being explained what was going on. However, this was very much my type of a spaghetti western, somewhat violent, with a good plot, and has Guilano Gemma in the lead role. Gemma plays a farmer named Landers who is has a price on his head for murdering a man , and is also frame/ wanted for stealing cattle. In order to prove his innocence, he must find the man who set him up. Landers also saves a women who suffered greatly at the hands three no good criminals. Landers must get to the bottom of who robbed a stagecach and bring the bandits to justice. I have to say that the rich man and his son make for some wicked but good villians, and fit the story quite well. Not a classic but a must see for Gemma fans.

Just finished this one off the Wild East dvd. A good example of an early SW in the American style. Gemma is in good form and brings us plenty of entertaining fist fights, stunts and sharpshooting - everything well directed. Maybe not his best but still an interesting plot and a nice tempo to it. A strong solid 6.5/10 for me!

I donā€™t know why, but even though Iā€™ve not watched ā€˜Adios Gringoā€™ for a while, I found myself walking along the Promenade today unconsciously whistling the theme to thisā€¦perhaps itā€™s time for a Giuliano Gemma film festā€¦?

One of Giulianoā€™s best - although not in the same class as the two ā€˜Ringoā€™ films, or 'One Silver Dollarā€™.

Gemma, as always, exudes likeability and sheer magnetism on screenā€¦born to be a cinematic legend.

https://youtu.be/MJ_H7ThI8F0

https://youtu.be/SUhziyBKxN8

5 Likes

Love me some Adios Gringo!!!

2 Likes

This movieā€™s page in the database has been upgraded to the new layout. Let us know if changes are needed or if you can add infos, links, reviews or images.

1 Like

New poll available for Adios Gringo at the top of the page under the original post! :arrow_up: :+1:

1 Like

Since I like the film quite a bit, I was quite excited when I found the novel (in German) a while ago. The film is very close to the book, but the style of writing was quite poor imho, in the German translation anyway. Iā€™ve read other books by Whittington in English which are better, so I really blame it on the translation.

For many years l somehow believed Clayton Ranchester was a name born from some Europeanā€™s wild west fantasy, so I was surprised the name was in the novel, too. :sweat_smile:

It certainly sounds like a fictitious name ā€¦ but why even question that one when we have, ā€˜Connie Breastfullā€™ from another Gemma film, ā€˜Fort Yuma Goldā€™ :wink:

Thatā€™s in all likelihood the juiciest name of all spaghetti westerns, a genre that has its fair share of strange names. There are the brothers ā€˜Johsā€™ and ā€˜Clellā€™ in Days of Violence.

And thereā€™s this type of name like ā€˜Golden Pokerā€™ or ā€˜Fast Drawā€™ which become all the more silly when friends of these characters only call them by their ā€˜first namesā€™, Golden and Fast. :grin:

1 Like

I just watched this one again.
If someone could update the main page: Adios Gringo

At least some of the ā€œfilming locationsā€ were set at:

Elios Film Studios
Camerata Nuova
Manziana
Manzanares El Real
Hoyo De Manzanares
Torremocha De Jarama

Thanks,

1 Like