A Stranger in Town / Un dollaro tra i denti (Luigi Vanzi, 1967)

I actually love the theme for the film. It is repetitive, but I enjoy listening to it when going on walks. I especially love the action-y music with the choir.

1 Like

I’d love to buy it, but it would require taking out a loan…

Ridiculous money. For that money, I want it hand-delivered by the seller, and I want to be permitted to deliver a free and unhindered kick clean into that seller’s ballbags. Then, while he’s writhing on the floor in agony, I want to be allowed to retrieve €200 of that money, leaving him with the €11.18 which is probably a fair and reasonable price for a soundtrack album to a couple of bloody eurowesterns. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t do Amazon. Amazon is a last ditch effort for collecting rare music. The sellers on there rarely have any idea what they have, and usually overcharge for something thats really worth half.

The Japanese release is on Ebay for around $75.00. It’s expensive but not out of reach.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/BENEDETTO-CHIGLIA-UN-DOLLARO-TRA-I-DENTI-KICP-2596-JAPAN-CD-ALBUM-OBI-/191532412141?hash=item2c9838aced%3Ag%3AEdsAAOSwPYZU~eje&_trkparms=pageci%253A5f3a7e7f-3736-11e7-9a0d-74dbd1806cba%257Cparentrq%253Afda701c015b0aa466537a59ffffe11e0%257Ciid%253A3

If you want to find these soundtracks go to Discogs or Ebay. They’re cheaper and better

I got my Preparati La Bara CD from Discogs, and I cherish it greatly.

The database lists a blu ray release of this film in Japan sometime last year. Does anyone know if this actually got released? I can’t seem to find much about it online other than the listing on our very database here. Amazon Japan doesn’t seem to have a listing for it (unless I’m doing something wrong).

I just read scherpschutter’s SWDb reviews for this film and The Stranger Returns. I was expecting him to shred them but I was pleasantly surprised to see some positive comments. I like the first Stranger film’s unique minimalist approach. It basically turns into a cowboy with a shotgun and he’s pissed off and out for revenge. Tony Anthony has said that when they made it he thought it was the worst film he’d ever been in. I never seem to get tired of watching it, though. I think Tony is great as a cowboy loner looking for gold. I would definitely buy this if it were released on blu-ray. I actually wish Tony had made more spaghetti westerns. There may be some, like Alex Cox and others, who think Tony Anthony’s films were basically illegitimate entries in the genre. I wouldn’t say they are not the most artistic (certainly not in the same category as Leone’s films), but they are very entertaining to me.

2 Likes

Yeah it has been released. I can only find it on Amazon Japan though.

1 Like

Thank you for the link! I couldn’t find it before.

Cox has a psychotic hatred for Tony and his success, so if he dismisses those films, that’s his problem.

2 Likes

A bit of trivia for the uber-nerds! :crazy_face:

Watching ‘Midnight Cowboy’(1969) last night, Criterion BD, I spotted this …

from ‘Joe Buck’s’ hotel window … filmed May '68 - what’s on at the pictures?

Kinda weird seeing this movie playing at a theatre, and just up the street you have ‘2001: a Space Odyssey’ and ‘The Lion in Winter’. Couldn’t help wondering if this was a deliberate subliminal reference to the Jon Voight character, or just one of those odd little coincidences :wink:

6 Likes

I’m going with the latter. Nice coincidences do happen. For example, I just finished reading the novel by James Leo Herlihy that this film is adapted from. It’s a good book and I’d recommend you read it except if you’ve seen the film there’s hardly any need. It was one of those adaptations where the script was lifted almost word for word from the book.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m inclined to also … however there are loads of cinematic references in the film, so it’s debatable - In Texas we see a broken down cinema with the letters of John Wayne in The Alamo, collapsing from an old marquee. Joe Buck carries a partially torn poster with Paul Newman in ‘Hud’ … and during the looking for Ratso montage, Joe runs past another cinema, playing 'Hang ‘em High’.
I’m not planning a thesis on the meanings here, but it’s interesting to ponder. All the male attributes that ‘Joe’ aspires via ‘Cowboy movies’ and characters are being eroded and made to look foolish in the harsh reality he discovers in New York.

I do have an old paperback copy of the book which I’ve never read, but I may dig it out now, out of curiosity.

1 Like

If you like the film (I love it by the way. It would be high on my list of all time favourites) you’ll like the book. I certainly did.

2 Likes

Very much a fan of ‘Midnight Cowboy’, probably first saw it late '70s … and haven’t watched it in about 10 years - it still holds up very well, plus now it’s like a historical document on top of being a ground breaker when first released.

1 Like

I watched A Stranger In Town for the first time this evening and it reminded me slightly of Yankee since in both movies a lonesome drifter gets involved with a bandit leader and his henchmen, and beaten but escapes, and there is also stolen gold to deal with which the antihero partly gets in the end - in this SW with a story twist in the end.

A Stranger In Town is rather exceptional due to the extremely limited dialogue. The music including the main theme is mostly good with a minor touch of greek music and together with variations thereof and some minimalistic avantgarde music it is heard instead of dialogue in several periods.

I only recognized Frank Wolff well performing as the bandit leader, even if a whipping woman (appearantly played by Gia Sandri) suddenly reminded me of Nieves Navarro if it not was for the actress’s ugly hairstyle.
The film seemed to be shot in Italy.

Overall A Stranger In Town was entertaining to at least be rated 6/10 (as Yankee), with an possible upside potential after more watchings.

3 Likes

[quote=“aldo, post:171, topic:84”]
Couldn’t help wondering if this was a deliberate subliminal reference…

Following on from the subliminal references in ‘Midnight Cowboy’…

In ‘Dirty Harry’ (1971), the ‘Misty’ reference is definitely not subliminal…it is blatant: and a direct tip of the hat to the developing working relationship between Director, Don Siegel, and Clint Eastwood.

I love this scene, every time I watch it…

“Do you feel lucky, punk?”

3 Likes

It’s my favourite scene in movies.
I like the two different versions. When he shoots Albert Powell and asks if he feels lucky. Callaghan is teasing him. 51QAx5CX6lL.AC
When he asks Scorpio it is filled with venom and hatred to provoke him.

PS I would never have got that Misty reference, nice one.

2 Likes

I always thought that showed Eastwood having a good sense of humour. :smiley:

There’s another in ‘Dirty Harry’, which I suspect is deliberate … ? His son’s name, Kyle, is seen as graffiti sprayed on a subway wall, during the scene when Scorpio is leading him around the phone boxes. Just a bit of fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cheers Aldo, I’ll look out for that one…

I could be wrong, and have been wondering for many years , but does Clint’s wife at the time, Maggie, also feature in the scene where ‘Harry’ is racing to catch the sub-way train? A blonde, reading a newspaper or magazine…?

By the way, when we come to ‘in-jokes’, the most stand-out examples - IMHO - are the ‘cameos’ by Alfred Hitchcock, in many of his films…

1 Like