A Stranger in Town / Un dollaro tra i denti (Luigi Vanzi, 1967)

Never noticed that - and not sure how good their relationship was at the time, as Clint was a known serial womaniser ! Well, you would be if you looked like him !? LOL … though Sondra Locke - what did he see in her ??? :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I have many of Hitchcock’s films including some silent ones. And those cameos actually get more tricky to spot as the years advanced.
Sometimes he isn’t physically there but his famous silhouette appears.

1 Like

I watched her on TV the other night, in ‘The Gauntlet’, and thought she did a cracking job.

I never particularly liked, or had time, for Sondra Locke, and I don’t think that she had a stand-out talent, or was ‘beautiful’ - by Hollywood standards.

But I do think that she was a very under-estimated actress, whose talent was over-shadowed by her relationship with Clint Eastwood.

According to ‘IMDB’:
Locke died on November 3, 2018 at age 74 of cardiac arrest stemming from metastatic breast cancer, although it was not publicized until mid-December. The six-week delay raised a lot of eyebrows since the belated news came opening day of the latest Eastwood blockbuster, The Mule (2018). According to a death certificate obtained by the media, her cancer had returned in 2015 and spread to her bones. Locke’s remains were cremated at Westwood Village Mortuary and the ashes entrusted to her husband of 51 years.

R.I.P. Sondra Locke, May 28th, 1944 - November 3rd, 2018.

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/sondra-locke-1-2000.jpg

Oh dear. I didn’t know. Bless her.
I don’t think she was a beautiful woman but she had talent as an actress. I liked her best in Bronco Billy she was really good at the spoiled heiress part. She was powerful as the killer in Sudden Impact too.
May she rest in peace.

1 Like

Back to the main thread…

‘A STRANGER IN TOWN’ is a cracking film, and I love it, even though I am reminded of Barry Manilow every time I see the magnificent Tony Anthony, on screen.

The score doesn’t grate on me, as much as some folk, and I think that Anthony was born to play the laid-back hero, who casually retrieves his hat, after a severe beating by the much-missed Frank Wolfe’s gang.
I think that even though some people compare it to a cheap cash-in on ‘Fistful of Dollars’, it was unique, because Tony Anthony stamped his own mark on the anti-hero…

A film I never grow tired of…and prefer it to ‘The Stranger Returns’, even though Tony Anthony is still superb in the part.

Thumbs up, all the way… :grinning:

3 Likes

I’ve never been able to sit through it … though I think little Tony was great as a kind of cool cheeky guy. I love ‘Blindman’, it’s always top 20 with me, but the charm of this one has alluded me.

Maybe I’ll make myself sit through it next ‘Spagvember’ :wink:

1 Like

Thumbs up, amigo. ‘Blindman’ is such a weird film, that I can’t help but like it, and Tony Anthony is so damned cool throughout…

Also great to see Ringo Starr…imagine if all the ‘Beatles’ had appeared in it…!

‘HELP!!’

3 Likes

After the second watching the “upside potential” was realised to a 7/10, and rankingwise it now looks like this on my Top 50 :

26 No Room To Die/Hanging For Django/A Noose For Django (Sergio Garrone)
27 The Stranger Returns (Luigi Vanzi)
28 Kill The Wicked/ God Does Not Pay on Saturday (Tanio Boccia)
29 A Stranger In Town (Luigi Vanzi)
30 Black Jack (Gianfranco Baldanello)

2 Likes

All of the Beatles in a western? That sounds great, Gunslinger scousers, “Go fer yer guns!”

Alex Cox hates this film. I love it. My dream would be a region-free blu-ray box set of all the Stranger films.

3 Likes

WB Archive have done one with 1-3 in it. I think it is just dvd. I might wait for the Arrow version with extras that Cox could choke on.

1 Like

I just would like to see the 3 Stranger films given the same treatment as Blue Underground did with Get Mean.

That one is on my Christmas list!

1 Like

So the town in A Stranger In Town should be the Elios studios set at Via Tiburtina near Rome, since Howard Hughes states in One Upon A Time in the Italian West that in 1966 a Mexican village was added to the western town from 1964, and in this film you see that they actually are connected so it ought to be Elios.

In several SWs from this location you only see either the western town or the Mexican village. This western set was according to Hughes the most frequently used in Italy, and in my latest bought SWs and at least one watched at Youtube recently, both the western town and the mexican village were used frequently.

Here is a view from the Mexican village with the characteristic trees in the background.

Here is a not so good view of the western town, but the building to the left is characteristic, at least from a better angle than this. I think it appears in several SWs that I have watched recently.

1 Like

The seven Italian western towns are easily distinguished: the one in the movie, with an adjacent Mexican village, was in CinecittĂ .

April 8, 1967

JC_sig
One Damned Day at Dawn…

2 Likes

Aha, then I probably misinterpreted the information in Howard Hughes’ book or it was not correct.

I would like the 7 Italian western towns presented on good photos so one can learn to recognise and remember them, and also marked out on a google map if possible.
And why not also all the Spanish western towns as well (except for those most well known 3 near Tabernas and the one at Hoyo de Manzanares :slight_smile: )

Such a presentation I think should be easier to achieve than to present the true location of the ESPERANZA railway station in Navajo Joe !

Here are 3 of the Rome sets on a map at least.
I try to keep photos of western sets as I come across them in movies, for future recognition.

2 Likes

Just finished this one tonight after seeing it on a few people’s alternative top twenties. The first “Stranger” film I watched and I really enjoyed it. Tony Anthony did an amazing job as The Stranger, I can see why he was able to carry the character into a series.

2 Likes

The second Stranger film is even more enjoyable IMO with better more varied musical themes and some absurd jokes that do not interfere with the serious mood but rather give me a feeling not far from the Leone dollar films.

1 Like

If there’s one thing you took away from this film, I hope it’s the fact Frank Wolff was a fair man.

2 Likes