A Stranger in Town / Un dollaro tra i denti (Luigi Vanzi, 1967)

but if you compare the two releases you can imagine that Colosseo invested some more work in the first than in its second Stranger release. And donā€™t forget the ā€œStranger Returnsā€ comes with two DVDsā€¦ā€¦

I think its only because of the 2 DVDs, the same amount of effort seems to have been put into both releases, imo

Back to Spaghetti Hell, havenā€™t been there for a while apart from the regular Leone viewings.
Tony Anthony is a curious character in the SW world, made a name only out of the genre, he was a good ersatz from the real thing, and the real thing was the man with no name. He made other variations of the stranger character, but I think this one itā€™s the one made more similar to the Clint Eastwood famous part, at least to the spirit of it.
But here itā€™s all about a man with no name theme. In the category of the claustrophobic filmed spaghettis that never leave the town where they take place, apart for a few horse runs around the quarry, these one is among the best oneā€™s Iā€™ve seen in that category. The self centered story is well displayed, and there arenā€™t many low points, so this one was nice to watch.
Apart from that, we had the bonus of having what was in my modest opining the best regular actor in the Spaghetti World, Frank Wolff, he was a giant actor. Itā€™s hard to understand why he never made a more high profile career, starting an acting career by staring in Corman flicks wasnā€™t such a drawback, anyway heā€™s a fantastic baddie (the cool Aguilar), and steals the show, a fair man indeed. Anthony also seems like someone ready for other flights, different from the following ones he made.
The small twist in the end was a nice addition to the general quality of this low budget work
The only drawback was the music, the main them was to present in the film, just had too much presence in the film, to the point of becoming annoying.

Apart from that, no real complains very good low budget spaghetti, a good choice if you have been away for a while from the genre like I was, nothing better like a good comeback

Am I right that Chicaā€™s child was different in two scenes? (under the bed child has longer hair ale later looks completely different)

itā€™s the stupid mistake like in a Fidani movie, but ā€œStranger in townā€ is above average and I like Tony Anthony.

Watched this one today. Strange, I absolutely loved El Puro yesterday for being ā€œslow-burn, violent, nastyā€¦ and sparsely populatedā€; this film trumps that one on all four counts and then some, yet I found myself far less connected to it, and even checking my watch a good 30 minutes before the end of its swift 83(ish)min runtime. So if A Stranger in Town possessed all those qualities that I respond to, only MORE so, what was the problem? I dunno. I DID like it, I remember thinking to myself in the first ten minutes, this is going to be a cracker. And in many ways, it was. It IS very sparse, very slow, very nasty and violent. Thereā€™s a lot to like here. Butā€¦ well, maybe you can have too much of a good thing. For dialogue, it makes Cemetery Without Crosses look like Pulp Fiction. Huge swathes of the movie roll past with not a word spoken. Just the score, very standard and unimaginative for the most part, with one of the more monotonous and irritating main themes Iā€™ve heard in a while underpinning it all. Andā€¦ hmm; this is the second Tony Anthony film Iā€™ve seen (I watched the okay-but-underwhelming Blindman several weeks ago) and I donā€™t think Iā€™m buying into him as a lead guy.

All of that said, a film which contains so much of what I like about the Spaghetti Western simply canā€™t be ignored. These are my immediate, just-watched-it thoughts, and Iā€™m already wanting to give it another crack. Thatā€™s definitely a positive.

It improved for me a lot the last time I watched it. But I liked it always.

Iā€™ve seen two of the ā€œStrangerā€ movies recently, and found both quite enjoyable. Theyā€™re not exceptional examples of the genre, sure, but Anthonyā€™s charisma definitely carries a film!

As Iā€™ve mentioned, I love Anthony. I think he always delivers the goods.

yes, yes, love for Tony here too :-* (kisses for sale, very cheap)

I didnā€™t like this one but the music is acceptable.

Definitely a strong, low budget western with a good atmosphere. Not the best ive seen but ill definitely watch it again and I think itll be even better 2nd time around. 4/5 for me.

Custom cover (cover is small-sized for forum post & linked to hi-res printable image download page):

[url]http://img.3ezy.net/a1/a_fb7d839c97357.jpg[/url]

Can anybody tell what the best release of this movie and its two sequels are? Are the Colosseo-releases for example better than the newly-released Stranger Collection from Warner Archives? Feature-wise the Colosso-releases are superior but am wondering about the picture quality itself.

1 Like

The first Stranger film used the exact same master from which the Japanese disc was made. Or whatever disc it was which was used for the Tijuana edition I also still have.

Funny to stumble upon my old review! I used to be Half Soldier, and Marco Leone, on previous visits to the site. Its good to be back! :slight_smile:

I watched the Colosseo dvd yesterday. Good looking print after all those worn out versions Iā€™ve seen. I actually remembered that the fight in the end took place during night because the version I used to watch was so dark at times.
Dvd also has long audio interview with Anthony and video interview with Lars Bloch who also discusses about the disastrous filming condition of On the Third Day Arrived The Crow. :smiley:
American trailer is funny one, very fast cuts with psychedelic rock music. I wonder if the audience were waiting for a fast paced and groovy non-stop action film and instead they got this western with a pace of a KaurismƤki film. Well, it was a hit in the US anyway.
Film itself is one of those I seem to like more with every view. Tony Anthony is just great in it, he doesnā€™t have the looks of Eastwood but he really knows how to be in front of camera, I like his movements and poses. The way he poses and holds his shotgun in the end is just classic Tony Anthony style. Calling him Eastwood clone is just stupid, he has his own style.

Film isnā€™t perfect, it suffers from the low budget and has some boring parts in the middle part. But mostly itā€™s well directed film with good, fitting music with one of the coolest sw heroes. 8/10

1 Like

I doubt that it was a hit, but it made money there.

And calling Anthony an Eastwood clone is not that far fetched, as the film obviously plunders FoD. But both Anthony and the film shouldnā€™t be reduced to that clone thing.

I like this one but if thereā€™s one thing that bothers me, itā€™s that the music never seems to stop throughout the whole film.

Know what you mean. Its a bit on the annoying side if you let it get to you :grinning:

Itā€™s what single-handedly prevents me from connecting with this movie. Multiple times Iā€™ve tried, and I donā€™t think Iā€™m ever going to truly enjoy A Stranger in Town, because of that awful, out-of-tune theme.

I wouldnā€™t mind, itā€™s just that itā€™s so repetitive. Itā€™s a pity they didnā€™t try having scenes without music. It reminded me of how much Ken Russellā€™s Tommy annoys me.