A Stranger in Paso Bravo / Uno straniero a Paso Bravo (Salvatore Rosso, 1968)

^^ wellā€¦ someone is a member of CG over there.

1 Like

I just saw it on an Internet sajt and I didnĀ“t like it for several reasons, one being the ā€œheroā€ - both his rather stiff character and the ā€œwoodenā€ actor.
The first half hour was rather boring and I nearly gave up.
In the final shooting it was too ridicolus when the main ā€œcrookā€ demanded one of the opponents to show his face and he DID show the face and body and naturally immediately got killed.

On this sajt this SW has very low rankings and/or is less known and that seems well deserved.

I always enjoy Steffen films and this one kept me entertained. I watched my Unicorn VHS, which is pretty good quality despite being pan & scan. The next time I watch it, Iā€™ll be digging out my widescreen DVD-R, which I do have somewhere. Overall, while it isnā€™t a masterpiece, it isnā€™t a bad film at all. Perhaps I was just in a good mood since I havenā€™t had the chance to watch many spaghettis lately but the film felt very fast-paced. Itā€™s not as good as some other Steffen films, such as No Room to Die or They Believed He Was a Saint but itā€™s definitely better than Some Dollars for Django and Tequila in my opinion. I might actually prefer it to the remake, And God Said to Cain. Having said that, I was never really a huge fan of Cain and itā€™s been such a long time since I watched it, so Iā€™ll have to revisit it after checking this out.

1 Like

I like CAIN. Not a massive fan but I found it entertaining.

1 Like

Just watched this Anthony Steffen flik on youtube, and was really surprised by how good it was, never heard much praise for it
It seems to be a lot closer to an American style western, with the protagonist refusing to pack a gun, until that fateful moment he grabs an unloaded winchesterā€¦
It keeps that more quiet tone until the end where it goes into spaghetti siege styled action, Steffen gave IMO (alongside Django the Bastard) his strongest performance, loved this flik, now wish I could find it on blu-ray

3 Likes

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but are there different cuts of the movie?

People usually say the film starts with Steffen materialising out of the desert. I also watched it on youtube, and thereā€™s a kind of cold open with Steffen in a crowded stagecoach interior, with a few locals and two strange geese. Itā€™s only post-credits - I recall - that he suddenly appears from the sun and sand.

I found this interesting because Iā€™ve come across the line - e.g. in Alex Cox - that ASIPBā€™s Gary Hamilton, like his counterpart in And God Said to Cain, is one of those natural-supernatural avengers, i.e. almost a revenant but with a little detail (AGSTCā€™s chain-gang) to ground him in the flesh-and-blood world. The pre-credits stagecoach scene seems to do the same in ASIPB, but itā€™s got that weird absurdist streak I often see in SWs. Remote-looking Steffen has brief spaced-out dialogue with cute kid, from which we know two places heā€™s not going to. Heā€™s going to Paso Bravo. Old goose guy tells him coach not going to PB. ā€œI know.ā€ Goose guy says there might be a coach goes from next outpost to PB, but it donā€™t run all the time. Then credits with coach, then heā€™s advancing out of the desert. Heā€™s not Gary the ghost, but he still sounds ā€¦ untethered. The movie is quite surreal in its earlier part.

I like Lavagnino as much here as elsewhere - i.e. a lot - and admit that for me the syncopated theme music, trumpet over irregularly accented accompaniment, is an earworm. This is one case where the movie could do with more of the music.

Just finished this tonight and really enjoyed it. Not the best movie, but there were certain parts that really stood out for me. I think Jose Calvo gave a great performance as the peddler, and while the final scene may have dragged on a bit too long it was heartwarming to see all the characters join in on the fight. Acombarā€™s death was also appropriately brutal. Not something Iā€™d recommend to people for their first western, but if youā€™ve nothing else to watch Iā€™d say itā€™s worth a viewing.

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the locations for this were?

I have noted colmenar viejo, titulcia and Villa Mussolini as locations - to the best of my knowledge

You know the drill. This movieā€™s page has been updated to the new layout. Now we need your help: let us know if weā€™ve got any errors up there, and especially let us know if you can add any info, facts, links, reviews, or pictures.

Credits page has been created for Uno straniero a Paso Bravo (Stranger in Paso Bravo)

1 Like

Since yesterday on YouTube in HD and english language:

Good entertainment!

and what exactly makes this stream legal, as the channel claims?

That is beyond my knowledge. To what extent is this a problem? I suspect YouTube would react. In this case it is unfortunately not possible to buy a German or English release. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m happy when thereā€™s a release on YouTube (I buy almost all new releases in the German version and sometimes also in English like Savage Guns). Or would you prefer a gray market DVD?

1 Like

Itā€™s not a ā€œproblemā€ per se, just donā€™t want to send traffic to black marketeers no matter the reason

Youā€™re Admin, You decide!

I am waiting for EM to put some of these HD transfers on disc. Quite a few released on non English friendly discs so I am sure sooner then later.

1 Like

For what its worth, I donā€™t really enjoy this one. It feels a lot more like an early sixties one than what it is, and compared to what Steffen was putting out at the time it doesnā€™t hold up. Also, its a strange case of the remake being better for me (usually it is the other way round) and I find myself thinking And God Said to Cain did it better.

2 Likes

But you can only make that statement after youā€™ve seen the movie.

Well that goes without saying. :rofl:

1 Like