A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die / Un minuto per pregare, un istante per morire (Franco Giraldi, 1968)

So is the English audio for the long version composited with Italian or German? Or is it the same language all throughout? Did they have to use different sources for the audio as well?

A complete English version exists from the UK version, which is (unlike the US version) identical to the Italian version

Wonderful! Thanks for the info!

I didnā€™t know that, I thought it was the same as the US release. Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

Is the German Blu-ray a composite or is there still missing footage?

The US MGM version contains 2 scenes not to be found in the 118 min Italian version ,which is identical to the UK version, and which is on the German Blu.

These 2 short scenes follow immediately after the credit sequence, and run together about 3:30 min. It seems that no Italian audio for these scenes exist, nor were they dubbed in any other language. The MGM is also in some other aspects a special one, as there are some flip cuts not to be found in the longer version.

Well, I wish they had done that composite version, as I like especially the 2nd scene very much. But then, it would not be an official version then.

Another question would be if there are any infos from Giraldi about the film. Was the Italian version his version, or did he had some of the usual producerā€™s trouble.

1 Like

Thanks the info. Itā€™s a pity they didnā€™t include both cuts for people who want the option. I just ordered the German Blu-ray. Looking forward to watching it for the first time.

1 Like

Just played the Colosseo release of Mehr Tot Als Lebendig on my Region A blu ray player. Apparently it works lol. Thought it might be interesting to anybody whoā€™s in the US.

1 Like

Just watched the long version as my 2nd Spagvember fest movie. Iā€™d seen both versions before ā€¦ and was just happy at that point to see any new SWs.

However, on my 3rd viewing I found this a real slog ā€¦ Alex Cord is not my idea of a leading man ā€¦ he has all the arrogant swagger but little charisma or likeability ā€¦ and that nasal voice really irritated the hell out of me for nearly 2 hours.

The film has a great score and a virtual whoā€™s who of SW character actors, plus some nice locations and situations ā€¦ but it just drags and feels like it was aiming for a more artsy reception (lots of great closeups of tattered extras with sad music accompanying the scenes) but the main casting and lack of empathy for the characters, lets this down badly. Robert Ryan does ok, but Arthur Kennedy looks totally out of place and past his sell by date.

As mentioned above, this doesnā€™t really have a SW feel, apart from the scenes of extras whose costumes and period detail, (both rich and poor) would rival a Leone sequence. A wasted opportunity Iā€™m afraid. 5/10 mainly because of production values ā€¦ but the story is not engaging.

I deem the movie a lot more engaging than you do and I still think itā€™s got a fairly spaghettiesque flavor, but I kind of get what youā€™re saying. On my recent re-watching of the film, I found the direction somewhat featureless and not strong enough, as though deficient in the visual domain. I still love the stark atmosphere and the grim tone of the spag, I like the story quite a bit too, but I dunno, it seems to be lacking in quite a few respects and the flick dropped out of my Top 20 exactly on this account. Itā€™s still pretty good in my book though.

1 Like

Probably should have watched the Italian audio version, therefore no Alex Cord nasal vocal to endure ! :wink:

1 Like

Just watched this on YouTube (the indispensable Grjngo channel), which has a good 117 minute print with the downbeat ending. The picture quality is oddly variable, even within scenes, and Iā€™m not sure if this can be explained by the restoration of cut material. Like the first bootleg of it I watched, many years ago, it has the onscreen title Dove Vai, Ti Ammazzo (Wherever You Go, Iā€™ll Kill You).

This film has been described as ā€œa sickening, bloody messā€ (by Brian Garfield, who hated spaghetti westerns) and ā€œappallingā€ (by Laurence Staig, who loved them). Yet when it was shown on British TV in the 70s (as Dead or Alive, in ITVā€™s ā€œThe Savage Westā€ season, if anyone remembers that), I recall one reviewer comparing it favourably to For a Few Dollars More, which the BBC was showing at the same time! (I was too young to watch it, either way). In fact, itā€™s a decent enough western, and technically well done, but one that impresses me less each time I see it. McCord is so unsympathetic a character (and Cord such an uncharismatic presence) that you have to wonder why Laurinda falls for him, Cheap Charlie helps him and Governor Carter is so desperate to give him an amnesty. The film is also much too long. The original UK cinema release (which I havenā€™t seen) was cut to 89 minutes. I usually prefer to see a film as its maker intended but in this case it could have done with losing a few scenes. The UK version kept the downbeat ending, though.

2 Likes

This is the original publicity sheet for the UK release.

3 Likes

Nice. Thanks for sharing that

I see everyone talking about a happy ending and a not happy ending but never actually describe the happy ending (maybe I missed it this is a long thread started many many years ago)

Iā€™ve only seen the unhappy ending
Clay is shot as heā€™s leaving town by two bounty hunters (shot like 6 times)

So how does he survive that for a happy ending or do they just end it prior to him being shot as if it doesnā€™t happen and hence a happy ending?

Can someone whoā€™s seen the happy ending explain thanks in advance

Oh and the version Iā€™ve seen is 2 minutes and change shy of 2 Hours on You tube

Exactly that.
He just rides off. No bad guys lying in wait for him.

1 Like

I just watched this movie on DVD (MGM western legends, region 1) and watched the happy ending riding off into the hills.
Then, I fast tracked it on youtube to check out the film locations when I discovered the extra footage to give the unhappy ending.
A few seconds can make such a difference - I did like the happy ending but the alternative is more SW.

I will have to see it. This film is one of my favorites.

2 Likes

Chipping in after 13 years, but spot-on.

ā€œRedemptionā€ is a joke on every level here - both for the outlaws chasing after the amnesty represented on the crappy painted pasteboard scene in the middle of town, and for the bounty hunters who end up with a corpse no-one will buy back from them (Lat. redemptere).

For me the irony and moral greyness - so SW - is there throughout. I donā€™t at all see Robert Ryanā€™s Governor Carter as an entirely positive figure, rather as a highly political animal with a whim of iron. He first creeps into town incognito, as if pulling some form of surreptitious surveillance (cf. the Duke in Shakespeareā€™s Measure for Measure). And his amnesty has all the appearance of an electioneering publicity stunt. Meanwhile, Kennedyā€™s Sheriff Colby, a loathsome manipulator who utilizes the services of bounty killers to pick off outlaws whose only crime is poverty, certainly stinks. But in the final scenes, he does suggest an ends-justify-the-means coherence behind his actions: for him thereā€™s no guarantee against recidivism, a view Kraut and his buddies, with their outspoken rejection of amnesty, have already done much to substantiate. Plus which heā€™s the guy who gets out on the roof to stop the fire and becomes a problematic self-sacrificing hero. Then again, what does recidivism mean in the world the film represents? Is McCordā€™s request for money to set himself up so crazy, given what seems to happen to the poor, whose only road once pardoned would lead back into outlawry and the tyrant kingdom of Escondido? A no-win situation all round indeed.

And thatā€™s to ignore the complex protagonist, with his strange Freudian symptom which seems to have a life far in excess of what finally turns out to be a physiological cause. To me, the movieā€™s German title gets it exactly right. But thatā€™s another story.

I also love Rusticelliā€™s clouds of late-Romantic sound, even if the grim ā€“ and obviously correct ā€“ ending is slightly spoilt by some heavy-handed musical point-making. More usually in this film the music has a quietly unsettling, estranging effect.

Easily in top 15, almost certainly top 10 for this viewer.

2 Likes

Just to note: I was really sad to find out that Alex Cord died the day before yesterday (August 9). Obviously this wonderful film - which ainā€™t budging from my top 10-15 SWs, and which shows me something new every time I watch it - wouldnā€™t be what it is without his superb performance. Dour, dogged, impatient with comforting illusions whether they are his or anotherā€™s, this dead man walking is a creation both haunting and moving. When he takes his $50 from Robert Ryanā€™s thoroughly pissed-off governor with a grunted ā€œThat it?ā€, surrounded by the wreckage of the amnesty scheme - tattered bunting hanging and flapping in the wind, early-morning clouds of dust, townspeople eyeing with fear and anger the man they think lost them their sheriff and doctor - weā€™re confronted with a character too far gone to fake amiability, and, it seems, an actor who doesnā€™t compromise. I donā€™t know what else Cord did, and for all I know his other work may have been so-so. But in this role, I think, he touches greatness.

4 Likes