A Man Called Sledge (Vic Morrow, 1970)

I had had this one on the shelf for ages and somehow the little debate on this thread made me watch it at last. :smiley:

Anyway, hereā€™s my thoughts (May contain spoilers):
All in all very, very mediocre film.
The opening is good. Especially the snow storm scene looks just beautiful. The cast is good. Garner as a bandit chief is convincing and the rest of the bunch ok as well. No weak links there. The action scenes are very well made and the movie grows nicely to the finale at the prison but thenā€¦ after thatā€¦
ā€œThe curse of other manā€™s goldā€ is just not presented effectively. The theme song is cool in itā€™s own way, but I think the gambling scene at the rest place is just not enough. It is over too quickly or maybe there should have been some horror elementsā€¦ Something more emphasasing the curse. And by the wayā€¦ is there a reason why Sledge is such a great poker player? Or is it the curse there againā€¦ 'cause at the beginning Sledge didnā€™t seem to be interested in poker at all.

2.5-3.0/5

[quote=ā€œveda, post:41, topic:353ā€]All in all very, very mediocre film.

ā€¦ is there a reason why Sledge is such a great poker player? Or is it the curse there againā€¦ 'cause at the beginning Sledge didnā€™t seem to be interested in poker at all.

2.5-3.0/5[/quote]
IMO - surely better than this.
I donā€™t play poker but surely the essence of it is disguising ā€˜the tellā€™. Keeping it secret ā€¦ waiting for the right moment to ā€˜play your cardsā€™. In this case, being good enough to take the old fella - a great bluff and a great revenge moment. And itā€™s also a great ā€˜spaghettiā€™ twist - weā€™re used to the olā€™ timer being a benign and essentially helpful (to the protagonist) nutter. This time heā€™s a devious olā€™ scrote that deserves to be screwed in this way.
Top film!

[quote=ā€œSARTANA DJANGO, post:31, topic:353ā€]Hex you are wrong indeed that guy USA1 is still on the Amazon Forums
as are the old faaarts . you can still read all the postsā€¦NOBODY was thrown off
by that name I just checked.[/quote]i guess its possible there are two people in the world who are into spaghetti westerns and englebird humberdick

ENGELBERT HUMPERDINCK is the correct spelling Mr JUNKIE S-EXā€¦sorry JOKER REX :smiley:

I disagree with you the USA1 has MILLIONS of FANS that love both SWs, ENGELBERT
and detest Loud cr-ap noisy (rock/metal/punk/acid/hip hop/jazz/rave) and poor dramas.

These MILLIONS of Fans that love SWs and ENGELBERT are called

NORMAL & INTELLIGENT :-X

the others are called by their warden/jailer or psychiatrist ;D :o :smiley:

ā€¦relax buddy im just [b]TEASING

;D I have had a very rough , harassing , stressed day Jonah they want to cut off

3 of my all time favourite spaghettis and I should know about spaghettis I am Italian :smiley:

I agree with you about a MAN CALLED SLEDGE 1970

you DO NEED some intelligence and good taste to fully appreciate it and rate it properly.

I just watched this movie last night and have to say I really enjoyed it. I thought the cast was great and, although made mostly by Americans, I thought it had a very strong SW atmosphere throughout. The gunfight at the end was really well done and the great touch of Sledge using the crucifix as a splint brought Django to mind.

Clearly Morrow was a genuine fan of the SW genre and I donā€™t believe he was simply trying to make an American western in a diffreent country. Many aspects of classic SW are evident throughout. The film isnā€™t perfect, but it was highly enjoyable and enhanced by the presence of Garner who, cast against type, was quite good and believable as a cold and tough hombre. I wish Morrow had directed more SWs as he had quite a distinct style and flair for the visuals.

I love this movie. The only problem I have with it is that it unintentionally seems to be kind of epic in my eyes but is too short to sustain the epicness of an epic movie. I was really confused as to why a mountain man was leading the guards.

When Sledge hits the database ā€¦

http://imageshack.us

He hopefully wonā€™t run away:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Man_Called_Sledge_Review

Something I would still like to knowā€¦

And I would like to know what is missing from the US disc? :stuck_out_tongue: (I have the Japanese disc so if someone can say something specific I can check if my disc has it)

The scene with Corrzzari and Antonelli is rather short and abrupt in most versions

A) We see Corrazzari approaching Antonelli, with intentions that are obvious
B) The we hear Antonelli cry while we see Garnerā€™s face
C) In the next scene a heavily wounded Antonelli falls down the stairs

saw this many years ago and thought it average. saw it again last night and still think that. doesnā€™t look like or have a spaghetti western cast although it is well made. james garner just isnā€™t convincing to me as a hard man, although he is a competent actor he is at his best as a light leading man. i would agree with others that the film is better in the first half, and would also agree that vic morrow an intresting actor had directed more films.not a bad film, just an average, forgettable one in my opinon.

Just viewed the Japanese disc to this one and can find nothing extra in this print when compared to the region one disc. The region one disc has a more sharper english audio track in my view.

How is this scene with Corazzari and Antonelli on the Japanese disc ?

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:52, topic:353ā€]The scene with Corrzzari and Antonelli is rather short and abrupt in most versions

A) We see Corrazzari approaching Antonelli, with intentions that are obvious
B) The we hear Antonelli cry while we see Garnerā€™s face
C) In the next scene a heavily wounded Antonelli falls down the stairs[/quote]

This scene on the Japanese disc is exactly the same as the U.S region one disc, so still the same as you have mentioned above.

I liked this one. The score was good, James Garner was a great cast as Sledge and it had an interesting plot, not your run of the mill gold theft-type movie.

I would have liked to see more leadup to the falling-out of the gang at the end, as others have said.

Well done and Iā€™m giving this one 4/5 tonight.

I was very doubtful of this film as it was directed by an American, so I never got it. I saw it at the store recently and said what the hay, Iā€™ll get it. It actually was MUCH better than what I expected. It was by no means great, just better than expected. I was expecting an American feel to the film but it does play more like a SW. I especially like the final scenes which have a great look and feel to them.

Great movie with a great plot. I loved the card playing sequence which looked almost surreal. 4/5

Since 30 April 2010 there is a Spanish DVD by Pride Films. With English audio !
I have transferred the data into the database. The run time is only 87 minutes. So cut.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Man_Called_Sledge/DVD