A Man Called Sledge (Vic Morrow, 1970)

This one is held in high regard by some, havenā€™t seen it myself.

It apparently features many american actors, but is solely an italian production.

Opinions?

For more info visit:
Database page: A Man Called Sledge - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give A Man Called Sledge your rating out of 5 stars!

0 voters

Its good I enjoyed it, however the R1 release is missing a few minutes I believe Laura Antonelliā€™s rape sequence is missing, that is why I gave it a 3.

Would like to hear if anyone had seen it when first released?

3 star- nothin special, but a nice cast,nice story,nice pace.worth watching.

For those who have not seen this movie It comes on Encore Westen sometimes.

Most of the actors were friends of director Vic Morrow and it is basically an American western filmed in Spain because of the cost savings. It has a SW edge to it and Garner plays an out of character, for him, bastard, who rules his gang with determination. Some suggest homosexual tendencies between the gang members, but I canā€™t see it. Just a bunch of outlaws who are staying alive by the mercy and cooperation of the rest of the gang. When pain in the ass Marley destroys this trust and pits one against the other the gang falls apart. Not a great SW but a change of pace film with many familiar faces. Morrow plays the part of the Scout on the painted horse of the professional guards protecting the gold shipment.

Iā€™ve been to the town shown at the end of this film in 2005 and it still looks the same. Thatā€™s one great things about the Spanish locations, they were real towns or sets still used as tourist attractions today. Even the ruins can be located if you know where to look.

Iā€™m Jonahā€™s opinion !!!

I watched this last night, I liked it.

I didnā€™t even realise this counted as a spaghetti till about 3 years ago! ;D

At least looks to have some Spaghetti Style in it. Seems to have a US regular plot ??? What about the cast ? The locations looks good, Spanish-Mexico.

I love it. Great finale shootout and a spaghetti feel throughout. Top 20 for me; Five stars; as 18.95 on 20 ā€¦ etc.
Long time since Iā€™ve seen it but I seem to remember (I think itā€™s this) when a crucifix is tied to a gunhand - as a splint - for a shootout ā€¦ great spaghetti irreligeous touch (forgive me Lord).

I love it. Great finale shootout and a spaghetti feel throughout. Top 20 for me; Five stars; as 18.95 on 20 ... etc. Long time since I've seen it but I seem to remember (I think it's this) when a crucifix is tied to a gunhand - as a splint - for a shootout ... great spaghetti irreligeous touch (forgive me Lord).

The whole final shootout has a lot of religious symbolism/imagery, including that great touch of having the crucifx as a splint, which I love. If I remember right, Hooker and the Old Man are waiting for Sledge in a crumbling church too.

Iā€™m glad to see other people enjoy this one. Iā€™ve read a lot of reviews that rip it to pieces, but Iā€™ve always enjoyed it. And Sledgeā€™s gang is one of my favorite movie gangs, lots of cool characters, not just Garner, Marley, Akins and Weaver. Hereā€™s a trailer I found at Youtube that has some of the movieā€™s really quirky soundtrack. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5tgU-LZaI

For me, only a more ordinary western. Routine stuff.

The first scenes are the best.

Imagine if the whole of the film would have been filmed in the snowā€¦

1 Like

MAN CALLED SLEDGE 1970 James Garner, Dennis Weaver, Laura Antonelli

This is a masterful, exciting, violent, beautiful, tense, well directed, superbly cast SW.

I have given it a 5 star vote and I PREFER this MAN CALLED SLEDGE 1970 much more

than that ā€œGreat Silenceā€ 1968 which is good but ruined by that Jean Louis Trintignant ???

My Vote for A MAN CALLED SLEDGE is 17 out of 20 .

I have given it a 5 star vote and I PREFER this MAN CALLED SLEDGE 1970 much more

than that ā€œGreat Silenceā€ 1968 which is good but ruined by that Jean Louis Trintignant

What donā€™t you like about Trintignant in TGS? Itā€™s the only movie Iā€™ve ever seen him in, but his performance is one of the best parts of the movie. His character is such a good balance to Kinskiā€™s Tigrero.

Obviously a matter of preferences and personal tastes but, quite frankly, trying not to be judgmental in view of such statements is a hard an stoic exercise.

Trintignant ā€œruinedā€ The Great Silence? Wow!

Apart from the fact that The Great Silence is one of the very best (top 6-7) SW and one of the best 10-20 westerns ever.

Like I said: There are as many opinions (possible) as ass holesā€¦

Yes Manco there are many ARS or A-SS HOLE BIGOT Opinions set in stone and STUPID

1. STUPID and BIGOTED A-ss Hole ā€œopinionā€ ā€œGreat Silence 68ā€ is a Top 5 or Top 20 ???

2. STUPID and BIGOTED A-ss Hole ā€œopinionā€ ā€œGreat Silence 68ā€ had a "good " cast ???

The Great Silence 1968 is a Good, enjoyable SW but it IS NOT Top 5 or Top 20

it has a SECONDARY ā€œBā€ cast in Trintignant, Kinski and Mcgee and those are FLAWS.

Trintignant is NOT a good actor , not a SW actor and is usually in ultra boring dramas :-\

A TOP RATED ā€œAā€ cast would have been something like F.NERO J.PALANCE L.PALUZZI.

I would give The Great Silence a score of 12 out of 20.

@ SD

Do you really think an argument becomes stronger by simply repeating it constantly?

@ Sartana Django
So i am ā€˜STUPID and BIGOTED A-ss Holeā€™ because i honestly love that movie and find Trintignant a great actor?

Hi Alko

Nothing personal I was replying to Manco and he did infer that TGS is "beyond criticism"
and referred to As-s holes in a way I disliked.
Other posters on this thread have praised MAN CALLED SLEDGE 1970 and given
it even higher scores than I did.

I have never said that TGS is NOT a good, well made, pleasing SW but I have every
right to point out clear FACTS like the cast being SECOND RATE and Trintignantā€™s dramas.
Kinski is good in many SWs/Giallos/Horror but he is NOT a leading man but supporting.
Also you Alko should NOT assume that everyone has TGS in their top 20 or top 5

because I HAVE NOT and prefer the other Sergio Corbucci SWs like MERCENARIO 1968

You see I like to judge a SW or a FILM on facts, merits, analysis and also important

To JUDGE a SW / Film properly you MUST BE ABLE to UNDERSTAND the words.

If you like me speak ā€œperfectā€ English and Italian then a SW or Film must be in either.

It is NOT fair or correct to review and criticize a SW of Film if you did NOT understand
the words completely and absorbed everything that each character said and felt.
Just watching the pictures and understanding nothing of the words/feelings is BAD.

No wonder we have been getting some very INCORRECT reviews and allegations that

ANTHONY STEFFEN (He is an all time SW great) was somehow ā€œwoodenā€ ??? ???

Look to DeNiro, Streep, Wooden Allen, Bogart, Pacino for any WOODEN specimens !! :ā€™(