A Man Called Django / W Django! (Edoardo Mulargia, 1971)

Watched the NEW DVD and the quality was good. Donā€™t know why but I had some troubles at the opening credits. The revenge Story/Plot is average but at the end we see a little surprise: a car . :o Django has some more surprises for his enemies through the story. Some scenes are clearly references to other SW (The three Leoneā€™s Man with No Name Classics!). Interesting about Anthony Steffen he walks most of the time. Two attractive women are also in this Western: Esmaralda Barros and Simonetta Vitelli. I donā€™t know if the scriptwriter and the director forgot them in the second part of the movie but both disappear. The Twist near the end is so obliviously it hurts to see this. The Music of Piero Umiliani is quite good and a catchy song. ;D

Im think, this one is pretty good average. Itā€™s a straight story that nicely runs from A to Z. Nothing special is happening, no surprises, no twists or tricky plots. But itā€™s good solid entertainment with Steffen as woody (so, solid as well) as usual.

Itā€™s just what I want to see, when I run a Steffen-Django on my TV :wink:

Djangoā€™s wife in this one, itā€™s Ida Galli isnā€™t is?

I really enjoyed this one. I think this was the first good Steffen western I had seen at the time. I also have the NEW dvd. And I bought the movie by mistake, too after mis reading the director credit. I thought it was director Emilio Miraglia who directed some gialloā€™s and the exceptional espionage/crime movie starring Henry Silva, ASSASSINATION (1967) helming this till I watched the movie and discovered it was Edoardo Mulargia. After seeing the awfulness that was SHANGO and BROTHER OUTLAW, I thought Iā€™d gotten another lemon, but was pleasantly surprised by this one.

I too mix up Mulargia with Miraglia.

I thought W Django was pretty good, if a bit silly at times. Defintley the uncut New Ent. version is the way to go.

Where does the W come from?

I read somewhere, it might have been here, actually, that the ā€˜Wā€™ represents ā€˜Vivaā€™.

That is correct as I understand it

Ha ha, Korano, first read, than post. Scherp had explained it only a few posts above.

Just saw this. :smiley:

Sorry to be so finical, but W doesnā€™t mean viva, but evviva, therefore the W

Itā€™s a good one with some nice, funny moments. One of my favourites with Steffen. 7/10

Is the uncut version worth to check out? The Dagored DVD is crap (EDIT: although it does have an awesome cover and a poster comes with it, so thatā€™s good).

If the movie did nothing for you whatsoever even in bad quality, the better picture might not be much of an improvement for you. Although I have heard people say they liked the movie after seeing the NEW DVD as opposed to the prior release.

Itā€™s an Italian film, Dillinger, and in Italian itā€™s viva, and viva is written W (actually it are two Vā€™s)

For more info, see my explanation on the previous page

Yeah, it may not change much for you if you didnā€™t enjoy the Daggored releaseā€¦ but if a much better picture quality changes the experience for you, which it certainly can do, then its worth the upgrade as its the difference between night and day

but if you hated the film, then i wouldnā€™t imagine it will change your opinion much

Looking forward to viewing this one.

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:35, topic:162ā€]Itā€™s an Italian film, Dillinger, and in Italian itā€™s viva, and viva is written W (actually it are two Vā€™s)

For more info, see my explanation on the previous page[/quote]

Hmmmā€¦ in my Italian dictionary thereā€™s also evviva. But Iā€™m not an Italian, maybe we should ask one :wink:

Times have changed, and from my initial 1 star rating Iā€™m now up to a solid 3 star.

W Django is Mulargia last western ,which tells an action packed revenge story of not too much originality, but itā€™s straightly told and dirty enough looking to be enjoyable. The action scenes are all a bit too far stretched out, but generally well enough made, and here and there are lurking a few nice ideas (especially the last shots) amongst the overall solid directing.

The English version ends with a nice dialogue exchange between Django and his final victim: ā€œAdios amigoā€ and the soon to be dead answers with a fatalistic and accepting ā€œAdios gringoā€.
But in the German and Italian version he says before shooting: ā€œSorry that you can only die onceā€ and the answer is a simple ā€œmerdeā€.

I think this is a quite normal change. In the beginning I tended to campare SWs to the Leones and other top products. Then I started to appreciate the solid dusters like W Django.