A Fistful of Dollars / Per un pugno di dollari (Sergio Leone, 1964)

Yes the Italian version of OUATIW would be great to have, even though the differences aren’t enormous, unfortunately the Italian BluRay not being so great and hardly English friendly…

But I’m not talking about that longer Italian version with 178 min, which I would like to have also on a Blu, but only for the sake of completeness, but what I really want is the original theatrical version, the one I watched countless times in cinema.

We cannot rule out the existence of a longer cut but the Italian theatrical version, the one prohibited for minors under the age of 18 on the first of September 1964, runs about 100 minutes. This is well documented and beyond dispute.

In the current version he only scene that could be different from the original is the one in which we can only hear the beating of Silvanito, reinstated we don’t know how much faithfully a number of years ago.

2 Likes

It may exist in the archives, but such a version was never released, not theatrically, not on any kind of home media.

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.).

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

In terms of the credits can I add the following for the English theatrical version which I have seen as well as the American theatrical version:

1, Leone is credited as Leone
2, Morricone is credited as Dan Savio (I have also seen an Italian DVD in which he is credited under his own name. Haven’t seen the Italian version in which he is credited as Leo Nicholls).
3. Volonte is ‘Johnny Wels’. On the Italian DVD above both Volonte and Wels are credited which was a bit odd.
4, the title is Fistful of Dollars (No A)

The UK version lost about 5m due to censor cuts. The USA version lost about 3m due to censor cuts.

Don’t believe there was ever a version 30m longer. Not for a cheap B movie. The novelisation by Frank Chandler however does have an extra scene which occurs outside the cave just after Joe is given the dynamite by the coffin maker. In this scene Joe is confronted by 2 of Ramon’s gang who have tailed the coffin maker. Joe shoots them both. It is noticeable that Ramon’s gang whom Joe defeats in the final gunfight is missing several people whom we see earlier shooting the Baxter’s (Aldo Sambrell for one). Assuming Chandler was handed the shooting script to adapt it is possible that this scene was shot and then cut for pacing. Haven’t seen any stills of it though.

4 Likes

Wherever that claim originated from it’s utter nonsense. Aside from zero documentation, it would be unlikely that a largely shot-for-shot remake would be twenty minutes longer than the original.

Here’s the one with the credit Leo Nichols …

Watching both English & Italian dubs back-to-back, I noticed what Sir Christopher Frayling describes as ‘the only moment in the film where any motivation is attributed to the Clint Eastwood character’ is conspicuously absent from the Italian dub.

After Joe reunites Marisol with Julio and Jesus, then gives them the money; when asked ‘Why do you do this for us’ (in the Italian dub this line is from Julio not Marisol) - instead of the expository ‘Why? I knew somebody like you once and there was nobody there to help’ - there’s the characteristically taciturn ‘It’s too long a story to tell’ (‘È una storia troppo lunga da raccontare’).

7 Likes

Are there enough differences between the dubs to warrant getting another blu ray of it?

1 Like

Not really as both dubs often match word for word. Aside from the aforementioned scene and some mild profanities the differences are largely superficial. For example during the massacre of the Baxters: Joe’s ‘Take a look at this’ is instead the darkly humorous ‘I don’t want to miss the show’. The Italian dub does have the masterful voice acting of Enrico Maria Salerno and Nando Gazzolo but what dub you consider definitive is a matter of taste.

For what it’s worth here’s how the Marisol scene plays out in the Italian dub …

Joe: Here, take this money. There’s enough to live peacefully for a while. Cross the border and get as far away as possible from this damn town!
Julio: Why are you doing all this for us?
Joe: It’s too long a story to tell. Now go on - get moving!
Marisol: May God bless you.
Joe: Go now, don’t waste any more time. The Rojos will be here any moment you know. Come on, go! Get moving!

1 Like

Thanks man, seeing as I am tight on money I guess I will stick with what I have.

I’m currently watching it. Dad was scrolling through tv channels and found out that it’s on. I haven’t seen it in a long time.

The question is, am I going crazy or are there different versions? In the scene where they’re carrying drunk Man with no name to bed, the guy says “He weighs a ton” but I swear the last time I saw the film he said “He weighs like a pig”. Is it my memory playing tricks on me or Mandela effect?

Also, it’s interesting to re-watch the film now that I know more about SWs because the actor of Julio (Marisol’s husband) is the same guy who played Paco in Too much gold for one gringo :laughing:

Also my unpopular opinion: I don’t mind little Jesus crying unlike some people here XD What makes my skin crawl is that laughter of one of Ramon’s men (at least in the English dub). Anyway I’m glad that Jesus and his parents were reunited and managed to get to safety

2 Likes

Are you confusing it with the line “It´s got to hold the weight of a pig” from Tuco early in GBU after they ambush Blondie in the hotel room?

I never found Jesus annoying either. Sure the dub is a bit wonky but I think we´re all used to that.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s possible. Maybe I’m just confusing it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Fistful of Dollars

The scene where Joe, after feigning being drunk, is dumped on his bed by Mario Brega…

English dub

Mario Brega; “He weighs over a ton.”

Sieghardt Rupp: “Of course, with all he’s poured into himself”

By the way, just found this superb rendition of the ‘Fistful’ Titoli on Youtube…

2 Likes

With well over 400 Spaghetti Westerns produced in a relatively short period of time, it’s easy to get confused amigo…especially with the multiple titles for each film. :grin:

2 Likes

When I saw this VHS I had to have it!

8 Likes

that must be the version I also saw, a rental video.
Oh, memory lane. One day rental, watched it in the evening and the next day again before returning the movie.

4 Likes

This very interesting 60th anniversary video from a YouTube channel that I strongly recommend reveals the co-production percentages: initially (January '64) the Spanish share was 40%, the Italian one 35% and West Germans had 25%. However, with these percentages the Spanish authorities did not want an Italian director, so at the end of February the co-production quotas were changed as follows:
Jolly 40% Ocean 35% Constantin 25%.

JC_sig
One Damned Day at Dawn…

3 Likes