A Coffin for the Sheriff / Una bara per lo sceriffo (Mario Caiano, 1965)

Saw this an age ago but remember thinking it to be one of Steffenā€™s best. Title means nothing as it is merely a throw away line from a character (much like in Fidaniā€™s COFFIN FULL OF DOLLARS). I really enjoy the cat-and-mouse game among the boulders Steffen plays with one of the heavies in the middle portion of the movie and the final confrontation with Fajardo is classic.

Watched this again last night. DonĀ“t ask me why.

First of all. Whatā€™s with the title. Makes no sense to me, even though itā€™s cool.

This flick is not awful, but pretty damn mediocre. As it didnĀ“t stick at all, it was like watching it for the first time. Outcome is the same for me: a 5/10 film.

Like others said, the stuff with the drunk old fart is downright awful. It serves no purpose whatsoever, except to annoy the viewer.

Steffen is ok. He has the right charisma for roles like this. I guess heā€™s one of my favorite wooden actors. Heā€™s never good, but he doesnā€™t have to be. Heā€™s Anthony Steffen. That is badass enough in itself.

The story is way too simple. Boring even. I too expected a flashback, and it should have been there.

Best scene is when Steffen gets beaten to a pulp. It is also one of the few memorable scenes.

Luciana Gilli is kinda cute. I wouldnā€™t call her beautiful though.

The name Shenandoah sucks ass. And so does the tacky Peter Tevis song.

By the way, Fajardo could have easily shot Steffen when he was lying under the stairs. Now that would have been a good ending!

About the score, out of nowhere my girlfriend said that the music was good. I donā€™t agree. Itā€™s a typical run of the mill score that leaves very little impression.

Could be, but donā€™t contradict your girlfriend on such unimportant things

Perhaps youā€™re right.

How right you are Dillinger! Itā€™s no surprise that the scene was removed from the Spanish version (Una tumba para el Sheriff), among other things originating a Dirty Harry-style ending.

Same here.

I totally agree with you, the name Shenandoah - an atrocious product of the English dub - cannot be proposed!

From Wikipedia: The most popular, romanticized belief is that the name comes from a Native American expression for ā€œBeautiful Daughter of the Stars.ā€ :o :smiley:

Am I right in my suggestion that in the English dub, the character who plays Kruger, the ex-lawyer, is the same voice actor who does Django in the original US Django dub ?

Anyway, liked this film, more than Blood at Sundown even.

Sounds like it to me.

I watched this last week, via the new WE disc. Not a particularly memorable film, imo. Iā€™d seen it before, via the Japanese DVD, about ten years ago. Am I right in saying the WE disc is a little longer than the SPO DVD?

The English dub on this sounds a little newer than the film - like it was recorded in the mid/late 1970s - and the titles seem out of place too (although theyā€™re the same titles on the SPO disc, I noted). Does anyone know when the English version was prepared? Iā€™m guessing it was later than '65.

Finally watched it. Strictly routine for about an hour, but then building up to a good finale
Odd that so many people thought the title was bizarre, it seemed quite obvious to me where it came from

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/A_Coffin_for_the_Sheriff_Review

Yes, after being for most of its runtime a forgettable routine flic, it surprisingly builds up to a good climax.

Why Go on Killing?, Steffenā€™s second Spagie from 65, is the much better film though.

The last fourth or so is considerably better than the rest. One star for Eduardo Fajardo and the final showdown.

Carlos, do you know anything about Gonzalo BraƱa, credited in the Spanish version called Una tumba para el Sheriff?

There is no trace of him in the Database/Forum and his filmography on IMDb consists of 1 movie (a sort of biopic) and 1 episode of Spanish TV series Diego Acevedo.

Google search shows that a Gonzalo BraƱa PƩrez died on 19 April 2015 in Gijon (Asturias).

Nope, the only other BraƱa Iā€™ve seen is Tino. Frank is also a Perez so probably a connection. Looks like you found a couple of new names there.

Here is the episode with Gonzalo BraƱa:

Too bad the closing cast is alphabetical rather than in order of appearance. Did you find any possibilities in common?

I havenā€™t checked yet. But if heā€™s the same guy who died in Gijon last year, that narrows it down to actors in their mid-twenties.

hermanos: AngĆ©lica (ā€ ), Francisco (ā€ ), Amalia, JosĆ© Luis (ā€ ) y Josefina BraƱa PĆ©rez

These names appear in the obituary, so Gonzalo was almost certainly Frank BraƱaā€™s younger brother.

Taking into account the mid-twenties thing main possibilities are Sam, Rojo henchman with checked shirt (see 26:50 and 71:50), or Clark and Peter (Jorge Rigaudā€™s subordinates, see 50:20), but I ā€Ždidnā€™t find any of the three in El Cadete San Martin.

I think this guy in the TV episode kind of looks like Francisco but I donā€™t remember seeing him in A Coffin for the Sheriff, unless heā€™s one of the men led by Jorge Rigaud in the scene starting at 53:30 (unfortunately I have a low resolution copy).

Letā€™s see what you think.

Looks like we were on similar tracks. The guy above has a nice role but no closeups. I donā€™t know Eloy Rosillo or Pablo Sanz so I couldnā€™t eliminate them. I guess you mean the guys lined up to defend Rigaudā€™s ranch, that scene starts a couple minutes later in mine. Itā€™s dark but with brightening up and zooming in some, I donā€™t see any matches (Iā€™ll post a composite if you want). For reference hereā€™s what I was looking at from Coffin.

Rojo henchmen, Clark & Peter (3 & 4), barman, banker, man in saloon

I found it remarkable that the male hero, Shenandoah (Anthony Steffen), is able to exact his revenge on Lupe Rojo (Armando Calvo), Murdoch (Eduardo Fajardo), Kruger (Arturo Dominici) and their gang of cutthroats only because of the courageous interference of a female character, Elsie, Lupeā€™s woman (MarĆ­a Vico). In an instance of female self-determination and solidarity atypical of (Italian) Westerns, Elsie threatens to shoot Rojo and Murdoch as the latter is about to ravish Jane Wilson (Luciana Gilli). Elsie pays with her life, of course, but Shenandoah survives and kills the man who is responsible for his wifeā€™s rape and subsequent murder. But for Elsie, Shenandoah would have been trapped forever in the male self-pity and maudlin despondency of the theme songā€™s lyrics. Or maybe not ā€“ Murdoch would have tortured him to death.

Excellent DVD release from Colosseo Film: two different covers (slipcase and keep case); three audio options (English, German, Italian), subtitles in German; video interviews with director Mario Caiano (1933ā€“2015) and film score composer Francesco De Masi (1930ā€“2005).

1 Like