A Bullet for Sandoval / Quei disperati che puzzano di sudore e di morte / Los desesperados (Julio Buchs, 1969)

Youā€™re an absolute star Lone_Gringo.

I know this Spanish VHS

plays in English language, but does anyone know what the running time of it is? Is it longer than the dvd releases?

Remember seeing Yodlaf selling one on E Bay a while backā€¦he might know.

Thanks ENNIOO, Iā€™ll give him a shout. :wink:

Anyone have the White Pearl release?

Bought it from my local DVD dealer yesterday. He told me not to expect too much, the label being White Pearl Classics / Daredo, infamous for its poor releases of Spaghetti Westerns. Rushed through it today: obviously compiled from various analog and digital video sources; image quality differs widely from scene to scene; audio tracks in German and English, the latter incomplete; running time: 92 min 40 s (PAL).

Finally watched the whole movie. As could be expected from White Pearl Classics, the DVD is an utter mess. Both language tracks are incomplete, image quality is alternately bad, worse and worst.

Enjoyed the film, though ā€“ my second Julio Buchs Western after El hombre que matĆ³ a Billy el NiƱo (1967), which wasnā€™t so bad either (at least much better than I had expected it to be). Los desesperados felt somewhat disjointed, storywise and, of course, editingwise, since the version I watched was obviously patched together from different sources. At least the (in)famous Annabella Incontrera scenes were reinstated.

@stanton: Iā€™m sure you know where the White Pearl Classics label ā€œfoundā€ the ā€œfootageā€ it used for this abysmal DVD release, right?

Tijuana?

Does that mean the DVD is a bootleg?

No, but hey probably took the missing scenes form the Tijuana edition. They probably took the whole film form that version, only I donā€™t know why it is shorter. Well, they probably cut some of the stuff which was missing form the German version.

But what do you meant with "Iā€™m sure you know where the White Pearl Classics label ā€œfoundā€ the ā€œfootageā€ ", if not this?

Thanks! Yes, exactly, thatā€™s what I meant. I thought you would know ā€“ I wasnā€™t sure.

Also watched this one and enjoyed it, certainly a lot more than Deaf Smithā€¦ I think it was a bit too episodic for itā€™s own good but was a good run-of-the-mill spag with some nice Spanish tragedy style elements. Probably wouldā€™ve enjoyed it more if Iā€™d seen the uncut version though. Anyone know if itā€™s available on a DVDR at all?

Is the German DVD uncut or the same version as the VCI disc?

For anyone interested, I did a comparison and the US DVD (which is cut more than the German one) has a slightly better picture quality than the German DVD.

The US DVD has more finer detail and better colors. The German print looks a bit washed out and doesnā€™t retain as much detail. The German one looks to be filtered in a not so good way.

Its more noticeable when watching the video than these screenshots depict, while its not a huge difference the US print does look much better IMO.

I may put together a composite using these sources as this is a great spaghetti that hasnā€™t gotten a proper release. My time / ability to do this stuff is almost non existent recently, but may be able to do this up real quick.

Screenshots from:
92min - German disc
90min - US disc
100.5min - Spanish TV print (no ending credits)

poster dump!

4 Likes

Good to see you drop in again ā€¦ this is a great project idea. Sandoval has been shown on UK tv, but itā€™s the short version and the image is so soft, itā€™s even lower quality than the Spanish TV version. It deserves some restoration love. Good luck.

1 Like

I have it on DVD. All I remember is Ernest Borgnine hamming it up intensely.

1 Like

Hello autephex, nice to see you around again.

1 Like

hey guysā€¦ thanks for the welcome back.

Unfortunately Iā€™ve had to step away from these kinds of projects again as life just hasnā€™t granted me the time to put any focus on this stuff, but hopefully will get back to some of the last unfinished projects at some point. But I will prob put this composite together sometime soon as this shouldnā€™t be too hard a job or take very long.

Really surprised this title hasnā€™t gotten more attention yet.

1 Like

Whatā€™s wrong with the existing Tijuana version?

It combines the US disc with all known other scenes taken from a pretty good VHS version. The German disc, which is btw only a bootleg anyway, does not more than using these 2 sources also, but obviously it is not a complete version. My Tijuana edit runs 102 min, and must be the longest version in circulation.

Where did you come by this Tijuana edit? I havenā€™t seen such a composite in my usual sources.

Aldoā€™s english/spanish dub version using a Spanish TV print is the longest Iā€™ve come across at 100min

After reviewing the thread, I donā€™t see anyone here mentioning having this Tijuana edit except you. ENNIOO mentioned aldoā€™s fandub, but donā€™t see any mentions of the composite youā€™re referencing. Would gladly just snag that one, but if it isnā€™t available to everyone then its not much good for usā€¦