A Barrel Full of Dollars / Per una bara piena di dollari (Demofilo Fidani, 1971)

Someone once named it the best Fidani movie. It may be the case, but i’ve only seen two others, so i’m still not the right person to judge it. Anyway, plot in this one was pretty straightforward, this means it’s not as much illogical as plots for the other ones i’ve watched. It has it’s share of awkawrd scenes, but there’re surprisingly few of those. The fact that Kinski gets more screentime also helps. Some of the music clues are brillaint, soe not so much. The title song is sung in such an over-the-top hysterical way, that i wonder if the guy didn’t have a heart attack while recording it. We still get the same cheap looking italian sets, as in his other movies and the lead actor is Jeff Cameron and i never thought this guy is even close to being a good lead. Anyway it may be good for a Fidani movie,but it makes an average spaghetti western in general. 5/10

For more info visit:
Database Page: Per una bara piena di dollari - The Spaghetti Western Database

Give A Barrel Full of Dollars your rating out of five stars!

0 voters

Yea! It’s a hell of a Fidani indeed!

There’s everything you want from a Fidani SW: Horseriding, fighting, stunts, Gordon Mitchell, the daughter…

I think this one is really entertainig. OK, some of the Fidanis are quite demanding, but “per und bara…” makes time fly.

Here you can see Klaus in one of his wildest performances and some of the best scenes with Giovanni Scarciofolo ever. Him entering the city in the beginning and shooting two bankrobbers is really top of the pops.

In the end we can see him and Klaus in a wild showdown in Gordon’s creepy Cave Studios - wonderful!

That’s why I gave it a 4 (although it would deserve less using common criteria).

Watched this one this morning and, well what can you say? It’s a Fidani.
As Alk0 says, it is helped by more Kinski time than usual and, to be fair, the cast do pretty well with what they have to work with.
It’s rubbish of course. But quite entertaining rubbish for all that.

How did you like the shooting of the robbers I mentioned, Phil?

To be honest I found it kind of weird. No build up. He just walks into shot and guns 'em down ???
No wasted footage from old Dick Spitfire there :smiley:

No build up - exactly that’s it!

I love that scene!!!

You can almost imagine Jeff Cmaeron’s character saying: “Oh no! It’s the third bank robbery this week! and it’s only tuesday!”

Welcome to Fidani’s universe!

A short while ago I had never seen any Fidani films, but now I’ve seen this one and Adios Companeros

I’m beginning to get addicted, I want to see all of them

Adios Companeros is great. One of the weirdest I know. I can’t name all the scenes I like. Kinski’s apple, the air raid and the stunning camouflage techniques…

I haven’t seen this one yet but based on your descriptions, I can’t tell if you recommend it or not.

Whats the aspect ratio on the italian dvd, I know the German disc is 1.33.

This one is not too bad.

What is better than usual or different to the typical Fid film?

It has a better photography (thanks to Aristede alias Joe) and even the decor and costumes are more detailed, but still the film has a cheap look. It was partly filmed in Gordon Mitchell’s Cave studios, which is an unbelievably poor looking western town, which even Aristede/Joe couldn’t change.

It has an Fidani all star cast with Cameron, Kinski, Blondell, Powers, Mitchell with the acting ranging from nothing special to not existing.
And when people get killed they don’t make this funny 1 meter jumps towards heaven. More sideways in this film which looks not as silly.

The story is more coherent and there aren’t the funny parts which don’t make any sense. But still you have to search for originality elsewhere and the films 2nd half is more boring than entertaining.

So it’s probably a disappointment for the “so bad that it is good” fraction. Which means it maybe really is Fid’s best SW. Which means it still is an average western.

2/5

It’s entertaining. For me the cheap look isn’t disturbing (Most of the SWs have a cheap look!). Kinski has a better role in that and the plot isn’t chaotic. I enjoyed the shootout at the final which reminded me on the Cowboys/Indian Games (or Cops/Robbers) we played in our childhood. :slight_smile:
Though I wouldn’t recommend it anyone who isn’t a fan of SWs or Trash Movies. :smiley: For me it was 3/5 8)

I wonder if Kinski directed some of his scenes himself. There’s this scene for example where camera is moving very vividly always focusing on Kinski’s face. Reminds me a bit of his style in Kinski Paganini.

Spoiler:

Kinski’s death scene was quite funny. He hides in a steeple from where he shoots at Cameron and Mitchell. For no apparent reason he suddenly climbs out on the roof of the church where he now hasn’t any coverage. Now he gets shot.
The only reason I can think of: now he can fall down from the roof (in slo mo). Rather unimaginative.

Could be possible.

Kinski learned from the Best. :wink:

I recommend it, but maybe watch a few more spags first :wink:

[quote=“Stanton, post:16, topic:1272”]Spoiler:

Kinski’s death scene was quite funny. He hides in a steeple from where he shoots at Cameron and Mitchell. For no apparent reason he suddenly climbs out on the roof of the church where he now hasn’t any coverage. Now he gets shot.
The only reason I can think of: now he can fall down from the roof (in slo mo). Rather unimaginative.[/quote]

And Kinski’s death scene is set in one of the cheapest looking parts of the Cave Studios - the bell tower.

It’s funny saying Cameron and Mitchell, makes you think about Cameron Mitchell ;).