10,000 Dollars for a Massacre / 10.000 dollari per un massacro (Romolo Guerrieri, 1967)

I couldnā€™t get through this the first time, maybe because it was an " unofficial" Django film. Nonetheless, I watched it last night. First off Gianni Garko plays the lead role like a champ. He was my favorite thing about the film. Second the score is really catchy, the villain ( Manuel) was a total evil, dirtbag. A womanizer, and gambler, who has to be one of the most memorable villains Iā€™ve seen on screen in a while.

Second viewing for me was excellent! I must have been tired or something the first time I saw this. This has to be my favorite Gianni Garko film.

I felt the same, itā€™s now my second favourite of his after Vengeance is Mine, in fact theyā€™re the only two I like. Iā€™m one of those who hates the Sartana movies and They Call him Cemetery, and A Taste of Vengeance and $1000 on the Black were so-so for me, but I do like him as an actor he gave good performances in the latter two.

So I finally experienced the English dub of this film.

It was pretty good, but I definitely prefer the Italian version, since it has better dialogue and Manuelā€™s voice can actually be taken seriously.

I wouldnā€™t mind seeing the Italian version ( if it has english subtitles) but my English version is rather good, and upon my second viewing it entered my top twenty.

The Koch Django Box is a must own! :slight_smile:

P.S this was my third viewing and It just gets better and better.

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna go off on a limb here and say itā€™s probably ripped from another dvd release and compressed to half itā€™s original size.

If you canā€™t get the fan dub of the Koch disc, get the best of spaghetti westerns box set. I personally prefer the English dub.

Good dub but itā€™s a shame about Claudio sounding like Speedy Gonzales.

I actually like the voice! Itā€™s the same voice actor who dubbed him in Vengeance. It works for me. I prefer the dialogue changes in the English version, as well. I agree the film improves each time you watch it. I wasnā€™t that keen at first. I thought it was just acceptable but now I donā€™t think itā€™ll leave my top seven. Without a doubt, one of the best spaghetti westerns ever made!

I wish Koch would re-release this on Blu-ray with the English dub. Same with Vengeance is Mine. Somebody needs to encourage them!

1 Like

Guerrieri was a talented director and quite underrated as well, I really like his crime movie Young, Armed and Dangerous (or violent and dangerous?? Im not sure anymore), that falls into the more original entries. What a shame he did just two proper westerns. Johnny Yuma is among my top 10 and again it is quite original piece of work with a cool backstory. 10000 Dolllarsā€¦is not exception in this manner.

It is the other solid western and pretty good one. I dont think Ive seen a spaghetti western with an abducted girl who suffers from Stockholm syndrome, good guy doing job with a bad guy and desperately falling in love with a girl for who he wants to give up on his lifestyle.

I just think Guerrieri went this time too far away from the roots of the genre and buried the story under too much romance. Yup, it is a spaghetti western as much as it is romance with over-dramatic scenes. Monumental cheesy score only adds to this feeling. It surely sounds good but it drags the piece into a different genre even more.

This one is also dead serious, no place for fun. One more thing. Calling the protagonist Django undermines the moviesā€™ accomplishments and originality. There was no need for that since it stands solid enough on its own feet. 3/5

I love this movieā€¦ So much interesting stuff going on. I wouldnā€™t say that it is too romantic, the romance between Garko and Loredana is a vehicle to uplift and charge the consequences of the protagonists greed. In the beginning you might think youā€™re in for the routine cat and mouse play but as the plot unfolds we need to question the morality of the protagonists actions, until Camaso lays it out for usā€¦ ā€œWe are both like merchants, dealing in bloodā€ - Django doesnā€™t argue with thatā€¦

2 Likes

Back: @lordradish 's review from A Fistful of Pasta

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/$10000_Blood_Money_short_review_by_JD

That is far more critical than my short review. Where is Aldo? :upside_down_face:

Here :grinning:

I wonā€™t bother reading this review, as I like the film ā€¦ ā€˜Warts nā€™ allā€™, as they say.

Harsh reviews donā€™t annoy me, as such ā€¦ but when the reviewer seems to slam multiple films in a row ā€¦ then I wonder, why suffer ? perhaps another area of cinema might make them a happier viewer.

2 Likes

He slams at Camasos make up but seems to be perfectly allright with Millians wig in Face to Face :thinking:

Iā€™d wear that mascara over the wig any day of the weekā€¦

1 Like

Like all the guys who made this site. They ā€œslamā€ nearly every sw except few exceptions. Read some reviews and youā€™ll see. It is called critique and you still donā€™t seem to understand what it means. Maybe try to google the term for a better understanding.

Ok I will. Thanks.

2 Likes

Might I suggest you google, condescending and patronising !? :rofl: