10,000 Dollars for a Massacre / 10.000 dollari per un massacro (Romolo Guerrieri, 1967)

Gave this one another spin. 100% italian in style, no way this film could have come from the other side ocean. Camaso and Garko are both lethal and it definitely has my favorite Fernando Sancho performance. Nora Orlandiā€™s score is flawless. The ending sent shivers down my spine for one more time. Hell, I even like the excessive make-upā€¦ One of the ten SW Iā€™d recommend to introduce someone to this genre.

Having seen Guerrieriā€™s Johnny Yuma previously and really rated it, I had high expectations for $10,000 for a Massacre. And while the film never manages to surpass itā€™s wonderfully surreal opening on the beach, worthy of anything in Django Kill! If You Live, Shoot!, the film is still very entertaining, Gianni Garko being perhaps the best of the unofficial ā€œDjangoā€'s. The romance for once is carefully worked into the film and helps to finally give overall a melancholy air to the picture, the final triumphal ride into the sunset not withstanding. Claudio Camasoā€™s performance is exemplary, as is Guerrieriā€™s customarily excellent direction. Taken as a whole, I predict this is one film that will be joining Johnny Yuma in my Top Twenty.

I guess Iā€™ll be one of the few who dislikes this movie. Wonā€™t be in my top 20, I donā€™t even know if Iā€™d vote for it in an alternative 20.

My problem is that Django as a character in this movie so stupid. I have a hard time enjoying a movie where the lead is such a buffoon in a non-comedy. When the stagecoach revealed the saloon womanā€™s corpse I burst out laughing at Django. I didnā€™t enjoy any of the revenge setpieces after what a dolt Django had been the whole movie.

Filmed nicely, okay music, nice setpieces, nice to see Sancho. Didnā€™t care for the ā€œraped into loveā€ aspect of the film.

A nice movie i thinkā€¦lol

Yes a bit of overacting in this one as mentioned in the database review of the film. Also to much eye make up used for one of the stars as also mentioned in this thread. But some great scenes in the film and shot very nicely I thought. Some of the music cues are somewhat familar to horror films of the decade. But on the whole this is one cool movie and represents so many elements of the genre so well.

ā€œ10,000 Dollars Blood Moneyā€ is my favorite spaghetti other than the ā€œMan With No Nameā€ trilogy and ā€œThe Great Silenceā€, thatā€™s how much I like it, although obviously Iā€™m not saying that itā€™s on a par with those, it is a favorite that I have to watch every now and then (like ā€œBlack Jackā€ ;-).

Claudio Camaso was a great villain opposite Gianni Garko, and everything about this one just seemed right to me.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s perfect by any means, but it would be in my top 20 for sure.

I thought the beginning was quite boring but once Django encountered Manuelā€™s father, I started to enjoy it a lot. Iā€™m surprised it has more points than El Puro. I donā€™t think itā€™s half as good. Thereā€™s many other spaghetti westerns Iā€™d give higher ratings to, as well, e.g. Vengeance, I Want Him Dead, Taste of Killing, etc.

El puro is indeed much better, but also still a less widely known film.

The other 3 are far less good for me.

Never thought about El Puro being less well known, but your probably right. I am just biased and have known about the film for many years.

I just watched this one again and enjoyed it so much more than I did the first time. This is definitely going in my top 20.

Can anyone screen-shot the Koch DVD to compare it with the transfer available in the Timeless Media set?

Well, after watching the film four times, it has now made its way into my top 7 spaghetti westerns. Since Iā€™ve acquired both releases, I thought Iā€™d compare the Timeless transfer with Koch Mediaā€™s:

Koch Media wins on the transfer. However, having watched both the English and Italian dubs, Iā€™ve found that I prefer this one in English, so Iā€™ll be watching the Timeless disc more often. My ideal would be Koch Media quality + English dub with the Italian version of Basta cosi left in at the end.

1 Like

Iā€™ve hardly ever seen a Koch Media transfer that didnā€™t triumph over the competition.

I gotta say though, I love the English version of Basta Cosi. Giorgio Farina actually has very good pronunciation compared to most Italian singers attempting English lyrics.

I was really excited about another Guerrieriā€™s western. Johnny Yuma is one of my favourites, itā€™s wonderfully directed and nicely shot. Well, Guerrieri delivers the goods again. The intro scene on the beach and the following one where Django meets Manuel belongs to the authors best offerings. All in all the direction is nothing but excellent. Itā€™s not Guerrieri hand but the unfocused story that fails to impress. Itā€™s too episodic. The another problem I have with the movie is how Garko desperately tries to ape Franco Nero. Whatā€™s even worse, his Django is a complete asshole. He does not stand on the edge of the law but blatantly cross it. Well this might work in Sartana movies, not here. I could not care less about his fate. I would also expect Django would know bandits are not very trustworthy. On top of that they had to cast Lorenda Nusciak. She is beautiful but she plays exactly the same kind of woman as she did in Django! The same character, the same appearance, same everything. And there is a comical side kick who bothered me this time, in Johnny Yuma it works, in 10.000 it does not. So in the end itā€™s devilish Claudio Camaso who maintans interest, his Manuel might be even more likeable than Django. The locations are bit of a letdown. They change quickly from Almeria to Italian soil and even some gravel pits. Fortunately Guerrieri was not lame and made the best of it so it did not bother me that much.

I thought this was overrrated the first time I watched it but it was terrific the second time. Itā€™s in my top 7 now. Worth watching a few times to know for sure how you feel about it.

1 Like

I was a tad disappointed when I saw this, I actually enjoyed Vengeance is Mine more. But Iā€™m definitely gonna give it another viewing.

You are right, Iā€™ve seen it several times and the impression def. went up, I only still did not like Django and the fragmented plot.

Iā€™d say both movies are very similar in qualities. 10.000 is imo better directed while Vengeance is mine stays more focused.

1 Like

This was on my re-watch list for a whileā€¦

Safe to say I enjoyed it way more this time. Garko must be the king of sneering; his facial expressions are always great. I forgot how good the music was too!

Gave this one a second go and Iā€™m so glad i did. It was one of the first spaghetti westerns I watched outside of Leone and didnā€™t enjoy it at the time, I thought it was a bit too ā€˜artsyā€™ to take seriously as a western but after watching some of the more theatrical spags like Return of Ringo, Johnny Hamlet, Johnny Kidd, Vengeance is Mine etc. (all of which I think are among the best of the genre) I really appreciated itā€™s more unique style. I still prefer Vengeance isā€¦ by a bit though.