10,000 Dollars for a Massacre / 10.000 dollari per un massacro (Romolo Guerrieri, 1967)

My first viewing. Wasnā€™t sure how the story would develop. I was afraid there would be more jokes, but luckily not. There is revenge and darkness. Garko in this movie is probably better than in the role of Sartana. Camaso as an antagonist resembles Indio a bit from Few Dollars More. Yes, I know it was Gian Maria Volonteā€™s brother. Itā€™s a pity that there are no subtitles in the interview with Garko.

4 Likes

I love the English dub for this one, especially the voice-actor who dubs Camaso.

Unfortunately yes.

see the bluray topic, someone got a hold of a youtube link for a version with intact subtitles

Thanks for that Seventh Seal spot. Yes - it is quite similar.

I should stop trying to watch this one. The direction is beautiful but the Django is just a disgusting ass here.

His psychopatic character shows already in the first scene when he lies next to a dead body on a beach enjoying the afternoonā€¦, then he lets go a murdering scum multiple times just because he is not worth enough yet, then he causes a death of a card cheater possibly just to ramp up the price of the bandit, watches his gf being abused by the bandit and does nothing (Why? Because this could cause a fight and the bandit is not worth enough to be killed yet :face_vomiting:), refuses to help a father to get back his daughter from bandits , makes a false promise to his gf and eventually becomes a bandit himself and takes a part in a killing of his own gf who likes him for whatever dumb reason. (I shed no tear, f*** them both)

This would be tolerable if the movie was in a ā€œwink winkā€ style of FFDM or TGBU and didnā€™t take itself so damn serious.

So, you donā€™t like it?

4 Likes

LOL ā€¦ any film that makes me this angry gets ejected pretty quickly, and the really bad ones end up as landfill ā€¦ Iā€™m lookinā€™ at you, ā€˜Poseidon Adventureā€™ :wink:

1 Like

It does not make me angry but if you decide to make your movie serious you simply canā€™t present the main character so unlikeable.

People call Johnny Yuma unlikeable for Damonā€™s grin or whatever but not Django who is just a despicable character but is played by Garko? I donā€™t knowā€¦ Johnny Yuma is so much better in all departments and it is not even in top 50 and this one is near top 20. :unamused:

1 Like

Donā€™t remember much about this film, havent seen it in 10 years I thnk. Maybe they took the idea of the SW anti-hero too far in this film?

Is this your first Spaghetti or something? Killing loads of dudes for no reason is kinda the main schtick of most Spaghettis :rofl:

I donā€™t really see why the main lead of a movie being ā€œunlikeableā€ makes the film inherently bad? If anything, him being a cold psychopathic killer makes it even more enjoyable when he starts fighting the bandit family at the climax.

1 Like

And one of the tropes of spags is that thereā€™s usually no ā€˜goodā€™ guys anywayā€¦

3 Likes

Imagine a scale. At the end of the left side it is ā€œseriousā€ and on the far right side it is ā€œparodyā€. The most of the SWs are def somewhere on the right side of the scale like The Dollar Trilogy, not really serious. The more you are on the right side the more bad you can make your hero. However if you make your hero bad on the left side" it makes him unrelateable.

This movie is on the left side of the scale which is enforced by the dramatic music.

There are not really that many serious SWs. OUTITW is one of them. Now imagine if Harmonica just killed or let kill some people just for money. That would totally ruin his character in my eyes. I could not relate to such a character.

I never saw this as a very serious movie. I love dark humor and always saw it as that. The opening with the bounty hunter lying on the beach pretending to talk to someone, only to be revealed it is a victim, is a perfect example of dark humor. Same thing with the gimmick of the bounty hunter teasing the villain about his price and trying to raise his bounty. Dark humor is one of the most misunderstood of tones - most either love it or hate it. I guess it gets more serious as it moves forward, but I thought overall it is a fun spag.

2 Likes

This reads a bit like the film critics of the 60s who couldnā€™t cope with the cynicism of the genre.

1 Like

I did not find Gianni Garkoā€™s character unlikeable at all ā€¦ it never occurred to me that he was anything more than an exaggerated, darkly comic, ironic, spaghetti western creation.

3 Likes

I personally wouldnā€™t class a film where the main character takes out some baddies by rolling in a wooden barrel a completely serious film.

1 Like

This is probably my favourite Django film. Itā€™s in my top six or top seven spaghetti westerns

1 Like

Serious doesnā€™t mean realistic. That is a completely different thing.

Humour can also be a very different thing from individual to individual. There is no general right and wrong in humour.

I agree on Johnny Yuma which is number 11 (8/10) on my SW Top 78 list of 6/10 or higher rated.
I have watched 10,000 Dollars for a Massacre (5/10) at least 3 times on Youtube and found it a bit boring even if it looks good except for the ugly old lady ( :slight_smile: ).
The related SW also with Garko and Camaso, Vengeance Is Mine on the other hand is far more interesting and entertaining IMO (7/10, rank 28).

1 Like