Underappreciated / underrated Spaghetti Westerns

Not at all.

I agree with Silence. Companeros doesn’t have a dull moment.

I wish I could say that too …

I just saw the Mercenary today to check out if my point of view was correct, and yes it does the Mercenary is a good one of course, but Musante cannot be compared to Milian in acting (and in a a Who looks more with che guevara contest, Milian wins again), better sountrack for companeros, the part of Jack Palance is also better in The Mercenary, they could also have developed better the love story making it a love triangle between Nero, Musante and Rilli. Mercenary wins with beter cinematography, taking the the most of the Almeria locations, it’s one of the best SW in doing that IMO
In my opinion Corbucci wasn’t happy with the endig in the first one, and make a second one with a different ending ;D

I am also of the opinion that Companeros is not underrated. He is one of the most famous spaghetti western.
But he is just a remake of The Mercenary. And what a remake is better than the original? Basically, Companeros is a satire, a satire of The Mercenary.

The Mercenary and The Great Silence were the highlights in the career of Corbucci.
After this, his star began to sink. Companeros is good, no question.
But he is only a variation from the original. He already shows the shortcomings which have many comedies of Corbucci in the 70s. Stupid comedies, which destroyed the reputation of Corbucci.
For me, Companeros is the last good movie from him, but he’s not a masterpiece.

Incidentally, I’ve read on Wikipedia that other films were planned in this style. So Zapata Western with a mercenary, and Franco Nero in the lead role. But after the cancellation of Nero, these were not realized.

Where on Wikipedia? Link please? I’ve checked the Sergio Corbucci, Franco Nero and Zapata Western articles and can’t find this info.

On the German side of Wikipedia (Companeros):

Link: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwei_Companeros

Translation: After Mercenario and Companeros were scheduled two more films of this kind, however, were due to the cancellation of Franco Nero’s not realized. It was the last collaboration between director and actor.

Sonny & Jed is Corbucci’s last good movie and that film is definitely underappreciated.

[quote=“The Stranger, post:67, topic:1497”]On the German side of Wikipedia (Companeros):

Link: [url]http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwei_Companeros[/url]

Translation: After Mercenario and Companeros were scheduled two more films of this kind, however, were due to the cancellation of Franco Nero’s not realized. It was the last collaboration between director and actor.[/quote]

Long Live Your Death was most likely the next they would have done together.

Nothing wrong with “What are we Doing in the Middle of a Revolution?” either, I really liked it.

Yep, that’s a quite good one.

Oh yes. You’re right. This is a similar film.

Most Underrated SW:

1. California
  2. A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die
  3. Five Men Army
1 Like

DYS gets too much credit. I’m so taking out of the movie by Rod Stiger, he is so out of his element as a mexican (I’m of Mexican descent). He blatantly acts like Leone at it is mad annoying. Scenes are so drawn out its just gluttony. There’s about 3 main scenes that move the plot and the rest is uninspired

Leone is supposed to have asked Peckinpah to direct this one. Given your avatar, I’m assuming you would have approved? Personally I also love Peckinpah films (he is one of my very favorite directors), but I also love DYS. While it is no “West” or “America”, it is in many ways better than all the Dollars films in my opinion.

I would approve and probably the world would have ended if those 2 got together. Without Leone and spagwesterns , I dont think Peckinpah would have been able to make his kinda movies. Im curious to know your thoughts on DYS?

I think he would. And he did.

In terms of what he was able to show on screen, spaghettis massacred the status quo (at least in the US) . Watch Ride the High and then see him get more Bloody Sam with Dundee,even tho butchered it still showed his grit, and around this time Spaghettiis took off and paved the way for… the wild Bunch. So imo and on those terms and also in Sams own words , Spags made it possible.

Indeed :smile: That would have be one helluva of a team!

I love “drawn out scenes” (to borrow your phrase) that are beautifully constructed and filmed. Leone was an expert at this in creating a certain atmosphere. I feel he only really started finding his true identity with the “Once Upon a Time” trilogy when he really pulled himself out of Kurosawa’s shadow. It was almost as if the Dollars trilogy was the experimental dry-run where he was finding himself. Having said that the whole Dollars trilogy is incredible in it own way with GBU being an extraordinary achievement. Perhaps I need to reconsider my comment that DYS is better…

Nice. I definitely see his transition to a more polished director but to me his dollar films are so new and vibrant and a style all his own , where I feel he really started to just imitate David Lean and Visconti in his once upon trilogy. But i agree I love to sit down and soak up scenes that are drawn out when the mood suits me.