Underappreciated / underrated Spaghetti Westerns

I honestly did forget to add GS and Mercenary and Companeros. Just escaped me. I didn’t even think about the top 20. And Col. that wasn’t ana attack on your opinion ( I know you didn’t take it that way ;)) but merely my own opinion.

Does no one likes Condenados a Vivir or in English Cut-Throats Nine , Tarantino must have likeds this one. Marchent also made the very good Aventuras del Oeste,a nd the even better "Antes llega la muerte"
I dont no if Cut-throats i9 s Uncderppreciated but at least is underrated.

Viva Ramones

It is in our big forum voting on about # 50. So there are people here who like Condenados a vivir.

I personally don’t like it that much. Only 4/10

Check the film’s thread for more opinions.

I like Cut-throats Nine quite a lot. I think it has real, raw power.

Cut Throats Nine is of course a negative film…so yes I like it.

Ditto.

CUT-THROATS NINE is in my TOP-10, an inhuman, ultraviolent, nihilistic SW with an atmosphere that is almost otherwordly.

Seems like comedies other than Mercenary and Companeros arent top favorites…I really liked the first Halleluja. Surprised its not in the top 50

Mercenary and Companeros are no comedies, even if there is humour in some scenes. But you find much to laugh also in other SW like e.g. the Dollar trilogy.

The first Halleluja is in parts a comedy, in most parts not. There is a tongue in cheek aspect, but it’s not enough to call it a complete comedy imo.

Generally said, most people prefer their SWs to be “serious”, which means dirty, bleak, gritty, dark, violent etc.
From that point of view comedies are maybe always a bit underrated by the fans. I personally find it difficult to compare a pure comedy, like the Trinity films, with a real SW.

Films which are in the first place comedies don’t belong to me to the genre in which they take place. they belong simply to the comedy genre.
They Call Me Trinity stands for me closer to Laurel & Hardy or Chaplin than to Leone. They Call Me Halleluja belongs to both worlds, but is for me in the first place a western. As is My Name Is Nobody.

I really enjoyed A Genius, Two Partners & a Dupe (/ Nobody’s The Greatest), which doesn’t seem highly rated by others here. It may not be a masterpiece, but has a fairly good SW story, compared to the other comedy SWs I’ve seen, & it’s funny & enjoyable.

I personally prefer the more ‘serious’ SW, but the result can also be surprisingly good when there’s a good balance between tongue-in-cheek humour and irony and seriousness. 1st SABATA and the 1st HALLELUJAH are among my 20 favorite ones along with stuff like THE GREAT SILENCE, CUT-THROATS NINE and DJANGO.

Right. I also prefer the more serious SWs. but I like to lighten it up a little sometimes and some of these movies really do a good job of mixing action and comedy…Like Mecanary and Companeros…Thats part of what i like about the genre so much… Imo They call me Halleluja is definitely underrated. :slight_smile:

I think Tempo di massacro is totally underrated. The film has a very dark atmosphere.

In addition, this contrast between the incredible brutality and slow sections. And the intelligent script by Fernando Di Leo.

Another top film is El Puro. Great and exceptional.
I do not understand why he has not been published in several countries.

[quote=“The Stranger, post:53, topic:1497”]I think Tempo di massacro is totally underrated. The film has a very dark atmosphere.

Another top film is El Puro. Great and exceptional.[/quote]

Agreed on both points.

1. A Bullet For Sandoval (Julio Buchs) Definitely the most underrated SW. The way Hilton turns from a sympathetic and respectable fellah to a real insane bastard is just great. Very dark in mood and is one of the few SWs that doesn’t even have one joke in it. Possibly the only one. Great music by Gianni Ferrio. Surely makes my top 5 and not even far from being my favorite.

2. Compañeros (Sergio Corbucci) Unfairly overshadowed by The Mercenary (IMO). Unfairly as I prefer this to The Mercenary and very much so. Great score by Morricone and great acting by Milian, Nero and Iris Berben (who looks gorgeous in it too). They get some good revolut stuff ion and even political undertones, while it’s still a really fun film.

3. Mannaja (Sergio Martino) Can’t really decide which the better film is, this one or Keoma. They’re pretty similar. But I guess Keoma is better. But this is still a great film. Merli is great in it and, unlike most, I really like the score. Also a very dark film with few, probably no jokes at all. Great film, very underrated.

I also prefer Companeros to The Mercenary, I don’t know it must be the fantastic score, "vamos a matar companeros aiaaiaiai companeros " very revulotionary, like something sung in the Spanish civil war. and it’s sounds very good in spanish, in english Let’s go kill comerades/buddies it’s a no go (better I shot the sherif).
I’ve reviewed Mannaja a week ago, I also liked the score, some parts of the main song remenbered early Pink Floyd, but the film lacks in subtlety which its a commum thing in many SW, but the class strugle appears in the film in a very forced way, but i guess that’s what makes a difference from good to normal films

1. Sandoval has a certain reputation, which surely will grow when everybody was able to see the film in its uncut version, which improves the film a lot. For not being a typical SW, I think the film only suffers from not to be seen by too many, while I think those who have seen it mostly don’t underrate it.

2. Companeros is one of the best known SWs, and even if it is at the moment not anymore in our Top 10, where it was for the most time, it can hardly be called underrated. Don’t forget that Companeros has next to all the often brilliant directing (and the beautiful score), also a lot of sloppiness in it.

3. Well, Mannaja … Mannaja is imo criminally overrated. It has all the weaknesses of Keoma, but only a few of Keoma’s qualities.

I agree with stanton at all points, especially about Mannaja.

This is exactly why I call it underrated :).

You don’t think Companeros has its sloppy parts, for screenplay and for directing?