The Last Movie You Watched?

Why a new thread for recently watched movies?

The different colors are also a bad idea.

ā€œDamn it, you Dutch suck!.. Always complaining, geez louise.ā€ >:(

Ok, hereā€™s the reason for the new thread . I was too lazy to post the movies on their respectful thread and it made sense for me at that time. But if thereā€™s a problem, have Seb delete it.

Merged here now.
And no anti Dutch ranting please. Their football team is making them suffer enough currently.

Ok, hereā€™s the reason for the new thread . I was too lazy to post the movies on their respectful thread and it made sense for me at that time.
[/quote]

Yes, but whereā€™s the difference to the ā€œlast movie you have watchedā€ thread?

Very true.

One consolation: we wonā€™t be eliminated in a penalty shootout next summer

I watched Once Upon a Time in the West last night. I hadnā€™t forgotten its brilliance but it was even better than I remembered it. Most spaghetti westerns pale in comparison.

Ooops!.. so sorry. :slight_smile:

Well, not much really. My way of thinking was that to make it easier for me, i would put ā€œall genre recently seen moviesā€ on the same thread, thatā€™s why i had them in color. As you can see, i watched 2 Italian Crime, 2 Euro spy action, 1 Giallo/Thriller and 1 American Western. But itā€™s ok, no worries amigos.

[size=10pt]Bone Tomahawk [2015][/size]

Well, itā€™s not exactly "The Searchesā€ and itā€™s not going to win any awardsā€¦however, this graphic cannibal western turned out to be better than I expected. Good turn out from Kurt Russell and Richard Jenkins in their roles, but manā€¦this was a long film and it got off to a bit of a slow start. Regardless, the second half things really picked up and it went out with a bang. Overall a decent watchā€¦ and incredibly violent with one particular scene towards the end in a cave that you will soon not forget.

Ahh yesā€¦ exactly - thatā€™s because OUTW isnā€™t really a spag as ā€œit trancends the genreā€. This is something that Stanton needs to understandā€¦ :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

Yes but isnā€™t the genre defined (technically) by production origins (i.e. Italian involvement) than by whatā€™s on-screen? Anyway you slice it, [I]it is[/I] a Spaghetti Western, no matter how unlike it is compared to many other examples within the genre.

I actually understand everything and everyone. Hope this doesnā€™t come as too big of a surprise ā€¦

Transcending the genre keeps the transcendender still inside the genre. Which makes this humble film the one and real Spagie (unless one prefers Tagliatelle from his favourite Italian)

@ Transcending the genre keeps the transcendender still inside the genre.

Iā€™m not sure that is true, Stanton.

transcend
[tran-send]

verb (used with object)

to rise above or go beyond; overpass; exceed:
to transcend the limits of thought; kindness transcends courtesy.

to outdo or exceed in excellence, elevation, extent, degree, etc.; surpass; excel.

Theology. (of the Deity) to be above and independent of (the universe, time, etc.).

A genre film is a genre film is a genre film ā€¦

Yes, but if you say movie transcends the genre (rises above, goes beyond, etc.) it would be logical to conclude that itā€™s no longer part of it. Moreover the spaghetti western is technically not a genre, but a subgenre. So itā€™s imaginable that a move is still called a western (Once Upon is no doubt one) but no longer a spaghetti western.

Oddly enough I think the movie transcends the subgenre, but I still consider it a spaghetti western, so maybe thereā€™s something wrong with the term, or my conception of it.

I just too drunk to any philosophical discussion, I do like women itā€™s my kind of favourite genre, among western spaghettis and war movies of course-

I watched Bone Tomahawk (Zahler, 2015) this evening, my dribblings on the matter HERE[url]http://letterboxd.com/lastcaress1972/film/bone-tomahawk/[/url].

My take on it is when a genre film transcends the genre, it means it ā€œbreaks outā€ or crosses over into the bigger budget films genre whatever that is. it still remains a part of its original genre however. After all, a film can be more than one genre cant it? as in a comedy-horror etcā€¦

I donā€™t think that a film which transcends a genre, which is a highly subjective impression anyway, is then somewhere outside the genre, it simply brings the genre to a new level.

2001 is still a SF film, but it made things with the genre nobody had expected before. OUTW had a similar impact on the SW as well as on the western as a whole. But there is more in these films than being innovative to justify the term. Others would call these films highly pretentious, and there is only a small gap between these diametral assessments.

Other Spags for which the term could be used are Il mercenario and Se sei vivo spara.