The Last Movie You Watched?

San Andreas (2015) Brad Peyton with Dwayne Johnson.
Eh, this was a pretty silly and really predictable disaster movie with a half decent Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson a trained rescue worker/former millitary who abandoned his job in the middle of an Earth Quake to go save his soon to be ex-wife and daughter, yeah right… he, he. Anyways, the story and dramatic scenes are extremely cliché and horrendous, let alone the acting/dialogs and the unrealistic stuff that goes on here. The end of the movie will make you cringe for sure ::)… so, in a good way though, it was entertaining shitty, and not boring shitty. Oh and one more thing, beer is a must for this watch. :smiley:

Jess Franco: The Demons (1973)
-Film about persecution of witches similar to The Devils and Witchfinder’s General except that the witches are real in this one and also being a Franco film there’s a good dose of nudity and softcore sex. Cast features amazingly beautiful Britt Nichols and spaghetti western regular Luis Barboo. Not great film but not bad one either but the version I saw was way too overlong (119 mins, original theatrical cut should be 100 mins.)

Now, he seems to be a bit of a fave for you Bill, and I probably should’ve picked summat a bit classier than…
Vampire Killer Barbies (1996) to lose my JF virginity to, maybe?

But, last night - fresh from hospital and reeling from a post-aenesthetic cocktail of morphine and cocodamols - this seemed like a good idea :o
Anyway, I soon realised that I wasn’t really able to appreciate the full artistic brilliance of this, only getting as far as the euro-punk-metaller-scooby-doo-ish couple shagging in a campervan, and inadvertantly provoking some dwarf-dogging and barbie-frotting, before being throat-slit/decapitated. Realising that I must save this piece of Jesus-genius for a more appropriately sober moment I’ve put it somewhere safe for another day.

Trouble is, with all those drugs in me, I can’t seem to remember where… :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I remain a virgin for now… nastily finger-fuck*d albeit.

Yes, friend of mine asked me recently what is it about Franco I like so much but I couldn’t really give any straight answer. Mostly his films are enigmatic and hard to describe and it’s also hard to describe why I really like them.

But as for Killer Barbies, nothing enigmatic there… I watched this a month ago and it’s possibly the worst I’ve seen from the man so far.

[size=12pt]THE ALPHABET KILLER [/size](2008, Rob Schmidt)

A combination of murder mystery and horror, based on facts: the historic alphabet murders took place in Rochester, New York between 1971 and 1973. Three prepubescent girls were raped and killed by a man who was baptized ‘the alphabet killer’ because the girls’s first and last names started with the same letter. Eliza Duschka (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) plays the young female detective obsessed with solving the case. She gets some good support from Cary Elwes, Michael Ironside and Timothy Hutton, but it really is her show.

Director Rob Schmidt had a cult hit with his low budget slasher movie Wrong Turn (2003). The Alphabet Killer is a more ambitious affair and he almost pulls it off. Almost. His movie works rather well as a horror movie: Duschka is so obsessed with the case that she starts having hallucinations and one scène with her crawling under a bed really sent shivers along my spine. As a murder mystery the film has its limitations: in reality the alphabet killer was never arrested but Schmidt and his screenwriter (Tom Malloy, who plays Duschka’s working partner in the movie) come up with a solution that is anything but convincing. It almost sinks an otherwise fairly entertaining thriller.

3/5

Killing Them Softly (2012)

Seemingly old school hard-boiled crime story with a post-tarantino spice. What it actually is, is a cynical satire of American society and capitalism in global.
Need to rewatch it some day to decide is it only trying to slam the same single point for the whole time, or is there something more to it.
Apart from the cast, off course - all great character actors. Sam Shepard has a cameo. Show stealer: Ben Mendelsohn.

Don’t Look Now - Not seen it for a few years, still one of my favourites.

[size=12pt]Le déclin de l’empire américain - 1986 - Denys Arcand[/size]

The first time I’ve seen this film I was in my late teens, and clearly enjoyed at the time, it made me think, even if the characters were as far from me as middle aged people could be from a teenager.
But it’s the kind of film Woody Allen would had made if he hadn’t that slapstick comedy vein, It’s what I called the intellectual funny film, and sex is just a metaphore for the meaning of life.
And why the decline of the title, well maybe somewhere along the way he have forgotten how civilizations were born based on the group and not in the individual, just a theory.
Anyway a nice film to watch, smart dialogues and one you can’t forget

Two Males for Alexa (1971)- Passable thriller with a good Curd Jürgens and a very lovely and nude Rosalba Neri.

Love and Death in the Garden of the Gods (1972)-Mediocre drama mystery with Peter Lee Lawrence and Erika Blanc that started ok, but then it just falls flat with a script that kind of waned towards the end. Good dose of nudity and some violence though.

The Bag Man (2014)

I guess John Cusack is trying to outdo Nicholas Cage this days and we are used to this kind of stuff from De Niro by now, but come on, man! Just once more do it for real, just once more!

As a stright-to-video/DVD/Blu-ray/TV/whatever mess of sleazy, faux-noir, campy mess of a b-movie, it’s not so bad to sit through if you have nothing better to do. If this was anomaly, rather than standard this days for both Cusack and De Niro, it would even be a candidate for cult fandom.

Greed in the Sun (1964)-Henri Verneuil with Jean-Paul Belmondo and Lino Ventura.
Had this in my watch pile for awhile, thought i’de check it out. Well, while it was somewhat entertaining for the most part, it was not that exciting and far too long IMO. Although Belmondo and Ventura were good in there roles respectfully, for some reason I expected this adventure film to have a lot more action than it did,… good use of Morroccan desert scenes though. 6/10

[size=12pt]ZWARTBOEK / BLACK BOOK[/size] (2006, Paul Verhoeven)

Black Book was Paul Verhoeven’s triumphant return to his home-country after his successful Hollywood career. It was his first Dutch movie since The Fourth Man in 1983 and his first war movie (not counting the inter-galactic hostilities of Starship Troopers) since Soldier of Orange (1977). It was a box-office hit in Holland but critical reactions were mixed; in 2008 the Dutch public nevertheless voted it the best Dutch film ever.

If Soldier of Orange was a war-adventure movie full of heroics and patriotism, Black Book feels more like a thriller in wartime, populated by ambiguous characters: a Nazi might show his humanity under pressure, a resistance fighter can become a traitor when given the choice between life and death. The central character, a young Jewish girl of rich descent called Rachel, is only interested in surviving the war, but when her parents and brother are murdered on their way to safety, things become very personal: apparently the ‘escape’ was a trap, somebody must have betrayed them and she wants to know was responsible for the hideous crime. She changes her looks and identity and - after joining a local resistance group - seduces a SD officer in order to infiltrate the German headquarters, but then falls in love with the man who could be her arch enemy …

Black Book is a well-paced, often suspenseful action yarn, partly based on historic events (there are quite a few references to the so-called Weinreb affair), filmed in Verhoeven’s trademark punchy style; there’s also some of the crudeness the director is famous for, but the sex scenes are almost prudish in comparison to some of the savage imagery from an early Verhoeven movie like Turkish Delight (1973). It’s a good movie, but not one of Verhoeven’s best: even within the context of a thriller some of the twists seem far-fetched, so I wouldn’t think about it too long afterwards. Dutch actress Carice van Houten and German actor Sebastian Koch (from the award-winning The Lives of Others) turn in very decent performances, but their characters remain somewhat cold.

7/10

[size=12pt]Landscapes in the Mist/Topio Stin Omichli - 1988 - Theodoros Angelopoulos[/size]

[url]Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

Fantastic road movie, one of the few films from Greek master director Angelopoulos, I havent seen yet.
in a way it reminded me of El Topo, but Landscapes in the Mist, is a better work, the ultimate film in what allegory concerns, we never know what is true, what happened, as the two siblings try to find their way to Germany, through Greek roads in their quest to find their father.
The photography work is great, it’s cinema in its purest form as art, yes not for everyone’s cup of tea, but a great film, if you have the patience.
Apart from the rest of the film the end it’s very poweful stuff.

The Dove Must Not Fly(1970)-Saw this chessy low-budget espionage/pasta war movie directed by Sergio Garrone the other night, and i don’t remember nothing about it. If only Sylva Koscina had a nude scene or somethiing,…nada. >:(

Knock Knock (2015) D:Eli Roth with Keanu Reeves
Minchia!..This was awful on almost every level, the writing, acting , pacing and to make matters even worse Keanu Reeves goes full Nicholas Cage here with his pathetic attempts at emotion, and i waited for a twist, but no. I’ve never been much of a fan of Eli Roth’s movies and this one goes without saying, but i did like :Hostel: though.
3/10 for tits and the pixies song.

Crimson Peak

Any Bava fan should go and treat themselves to this on the big screen.

Watched some films from youtube:

Altman: Shortcuts
Altman: Images
Siegel: Invasion of Body Snatchers
Ray: Apu Sansar
Allen: What’s Up Tiger Lily (Woody Allen first film which is actually a Japanese agent film redubbed with funny dialogue. Avoid at all cost unless you definitely want to watch every Allen film)
Allen: Take the Money And Run

Also Terence Fisher’s Devil Rides Out but I slept during most of the film.

[size=12pt]Crossroads -1986 - Walter Hill[/size]

I’m not totally sure but this one never really became a classic cult film, I wonder why.
As a delta blues tribute, works well even if the last guitar duel with Steven Vai, sounded too much electrified, but blues is where all started. Hill direction is quite good some great cinematography and a great soundtrack from Ry Cooder.

Macchio never was a good actor, and that is the only real week link in the film, but he was a household name back then so it’s choice is comprehensible, really can´t imagine Tom Cruise in the part.

Mayne not na all time classic, but always a nice film to watch from time to time.

I saw The Third Man projected in its new 4K DCP and it looks splendid - incredible gain and greyscale. The Duke of Burgundy was also viewed and although it’s been clearly inspired by 1970s European sex kitsch, director Peter Strickland is much more interested in making a sensitive, slow examination of two women’s domination/submissive relationship in an unspecified past (although it seems to be France c.1900). The two leads are excellent and it’s surprisingly un-explicit - there’s no nudity that I can recall. Rather, Strickland very successfully implies rather than shows their unusual sexual relationship. The photography and sound design are excellent but clearly you have to be in a certain frame of mind to really appreciate Strickland’s achievement.

The Violent Four [1968]-Gian Maria Volonte as the leader of four murderous bank robbers in a not so exciting film with a dorky looking Tomas Milian as the Police Commissioner . The police car chases were a bit overlong IMO. Meh!

Shoot First, Die Later [1972]-Above average crime drama with Luc Meranda as a conflicted cop on the take involved with Mafia gang shenanigans and whatnot. The car chase in the bigining was wonderfully shot IMO. Good score from Luis Bacalov!

En Ghentar se muere Flacil (aka) In Ghentar Death is Easy [1967]- This was an enjoyable spy action/adventure film with war elements thrown in for good measure. George Hilton is quite good and engaging as a wise guy adventurer caught up with treasure hunting and bad guys from all over wanting a piece of the action. Good action with some comic relief and the title song is pretty good IMO.

Target Frankie [1967]-Somewhat entertaining action spy romp with Joachim Fausberger as a womanizer hired by the government lead by ( Walter Barnes and his it girl Erika Blanc ) to pose as his own brother who is a scientist/professor whom the bad guys want to get their hands on. Decent action and Rosalba Neri has a bit part in this.

Love and Death in the Garden of the Gods [1972]- I really didn’t know if I was going to like this, but for some reason I did. Not much on suspense , but it’s a decent slow burn gothic psycho sexy thriller with a good and nude Erika Blanc and Peter Lee Lawrence in a rather subdued role. Well shot and atmospheric for sure.

Pony Soldier[1952]- Not one of Tyrone Powers best films, (he plays a Canadian Mountie) but an enjoyable one just the same. This early 50’s western packs on action and drama with a good cast in the form of (Thomas Gomez as a guide to the Mountie and especially Cameron Mitchell as the young Indian Cree so eager for war no matter what) and it also benefits from good scenery too.