World Cup 2010

Johnson played very well. so good that sometimes you wonder if it’s a waste playing in defense. I didn’t see Argentina game but they won, and victories is what gives you confidence and moral.
I forgeet mentioning France but if they get through to the knock-out stages, and even if divided and with a froggy face coach (I hate the guy) they have to be taken as real threat to any team who face them, too many good players. I hope Holland will do well after Portugal they’re my team, technique mixed with speed, but really I was seeing the defense players and they are really the weak point of the team, but if they score one more who cares if they suffer.

Rooney’s problem is there is no real play maker in the team; he and Heskey become isolated, end up playing on an island like this. In the second half Rooney went back to midfield to pick up the ball, that’s not really his game. Gerrard or Lampard should take his responsibility. Gerrard stayed too far behind, Lampard doesn’t ask the ball enough.

Green almost made the same mistake a few minutes before the catastrophe, also on a low shot. He kneels down, and tries to block the ball with both hands, fingers just above the ground. These low shots close to your body (so not in the corner) are rather difficult for a goalkeeper. I was a goalkeeper for some time when I was young (I was too small, so I changed position at the age of 16, but I stayed second goal keeper of the team) and made the same mistake Green made this evening. He should get his body behind the ball, so go down (by jumping backwards a little), not kneel down. But again: similar shots are difficult.

Congrat’s to the US Boys :slight_smile: Is Mr. Green the best Goalkeeper of England? ??? Reminded me somehow on Peter Shilton (of the 1990 World Cup). It was the first Game so England has all chances not only to reach the second round but also to improve his team. 8)

No, I don’t believe Green is our best keeper. But it’s what Mr Capello thinks which counts of course. And Green is better than he looked yesterday. But then that isn’t difficult. As for Shilton? No comparison. He was one of the greats imo.

Shilton was one of the best yes, but I think Paco refers to one clumsy mistake he made during that tournament, I think it was against Italy (?), he dropped the ball, the bal went through his legs, something like that. My memories are very vague, but I’m sure smething similar happened. Maybe You Tube will procure us with some conclusive evidence.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:45, topic:2390”]Shilton was one of the best yes, but I think Paco refers to one clumsy mistake he made during that tournament, I think it was against Italy (?), he dropped the ball, the bal went through his legs, something like that. My memories are very vague, but I’m sure smething similar happened. Maybe You Tube will procure us with some conclusive evidence.[/quote]I’d give Joe Hart a chance myself.

Green plays for West Ham who if were one position further down in the league would have been relegated and James for Portsmouth who were relegated.

I’d still start with Heskey but if they are still drawing or losing at the hour mark sub him for Crouch.

Yep this rare mistake of of an overall great Peter Shilton:
[url]BAGGIO - 1 goal against England (WC-90) - YouTube
and sorry but also the Goal (even it was deflected) he got against Germany in the Half Final didn’t looked good.

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:47, topic:2390”]Yep this rare mistake of of an overall great Peter Shilton:
[url]BAGGIO - 1 goal against England (WC-90) - YouTube
and sorry but also the Goal (even it was deflected) he got against Germany in the Half Final didn’t looked good.[/quote]

Well, Shilts played over a 1000 professional games. He’s allowed a few howlers. :wink:

For sure 8)
Slovenia completed their first win in the World Cup today vs. Algeria with an interesting GOAL :slight_smile:

Just watched the Ghana v Serbia game, Ghana were the stronger of the two sides in the first half but in the second half Serbia become stronger after being taken down to 10 men, only a poor handball in the box caused Ghana to win the game 1-0.

Have only seen parts of the Slovenia game but was one of the unfortunate people who decided to watch Serbia - Ghana a-z
Man, what a disaster

The Serbs got exactly what they were asking for: if you have so many talented offensive players and play this defensively, it must go wrong. All these speculations on a draw, coaches never learn these tactics don’t pay. Serbia will probably be out of the tournament after the first round because of this result, unless they beat Germany, and I don’t see this happen.

Hopefully Germany (tonight) and Holland (tomorrow) show a bit more offensive football. Don’t think they’ll speculate on a draw.

Must say, so far, most games have been snoozefests punctuated by the occasional calamitous mistake. 3 games so far decided by horrible errors. Not what you expect from what are supposedly the world’s best players.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:51, topic:2390”]Serbia will probably be out of the tournament after the first round because of this result, unless they beat Germany, and I don’t see this happen.
Hopefully Germany (tonight) and Holland (tomorrow) show a bit more offensive football. Don’t think they’ll speculate on a draw.[/quote]
Right,the Serbs talked big before the world cup,now they come back down to earth and on friday we’ll see who’s going back home
Now i’ll go to town,watch Germany - Australia on the big screen.Expect a hard match and a strong,defensively Australian Team
Maybe in Kaiserslautern we’ll have Fritz Walter Wetter :slight_smile:
Tomorrow at 12 i’ll be ready with work,to watch Holland - Denmark,the first game i’m really curious about

I´ve seen some dreadful football. The Algeria - Slovenia game was horrendous. Best football so far came from Messi.
So far I only have been bored. A lot of teams play these first matches not to lose and it shows. But Holland are stupid and will play to win, so I expect a nice game tomorrow.

Gratuliere, Jungs

Excellent game of the Mannschaft, albeit against a dissapointing Australia
Only weakness: they should have scored a few more …

Best game so far, Germany dominated the whole match to win 4-0, easily could have been double that.

No football today, and no vuvu’s

Beach, Sun and the sound of the sea today. Anyway games will only start to become more fun during the “mata-mata” knock out stages, until then games are too boring, who want’s to see a Algeria Slovenia, besides the nationals.

Germans played well without doubt but I was amazed at how slow the Aussie defenders were. It was like they were running with pianos on their backs. The Germans got behind them time and time again. Plus of course another goalkeeping error for Klose’s goal. We’re building up quite a collection of those.

Germany showed the best football of the tournament so far. Nice to see a Mueller Goal again :wink: BTW Australia is No 20 at the Fifa Ranking. :slight_smile:

Great start into the tournament, SERBIA we’re coming…
(It’s good they didn’t make all the 7 goals they should have made, otherwise it would go into their heads
and we’d lose against GHANA, very much alive those guys)