Winnetou - Deluxe Edition (Blu-ray set) - English friendly?

Hi all,
Does anyone know how English friendly the 10 disc Winnetou - Deluxe Edition set is? I’m just concerned with the films themselves (either audio or subtitles). I realize extras are usually in German only. I’ve poked around and have seen English listed as an option, but wasn’t sure how accurate the listing was.

This is the link on Amazon

https://www.amazon.de/Winnetou-Deluxe-Blu-ray-Lex-Barker/dp/B01LZ0Q97N/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=spwdb-21&linkId=66cc102aa211b54fe7e2da383348b793&language=de_DE

Thanks for the help!

Hi there,

I believe to an extent the Winnetou Deluxe Edition 10 disc set is somewhat similar to the original releases, in that Winnetou und das Habblut Apanatschi, Der Olprinz, and Winnetou Teil 3 aren’t English friendly. That is says “see individual releases” for the specs in the English translation of the German, I’m thinking that might be the case. I hope this is of help to you.

Trying to piece this together from a few reviews. There might be English subs on some if not all films and English audio on some. If I hit a reliable review, I will get back to you. This box is one several re-releases of the same material so one indication might be that if a certain film hat English audio on a previous release, it might have one here as well

Edit: From one of the comments on Amazon:

All have German and English audio (I don’t watch dubbed movies, but apparently there are issues with the English audio, due to the poor preservation of the original audio tracks). Discs 1-4 and 6-8 have German and English subtitles; Discs 5, 6 and 9 only have German subtitles. I haven’t checked the 10th disc, but generally, German releases don’t have English subtitles on their special features.

I’m an idiot. I should have dug into the comments. This is a big help.

Thanks everyone!

That’s what we’re here for. You’re welcome. These movies were my childhood. I am myself about to embark on rewatching many of them. Keep us posted how you dig the box if you should buy it

Just placed an order for the set. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I have a Danish set.

I’ve been working my way through the Winnetou set and have been enjoying them. Going into these films I knew they were more “traditional” style westerns, but that has not been a detriment. I’ve also been happy to see some familiar faces (Herbert Lom, Terrence Hill and Klaus Kinski). Funnily enough, I popped in Winnetou Part 2 and I was thinking “these are 60’s German films, where’s Kinski? Oh, there he is.” Lol.

The villain’s demise in Winnetou Part 1 made me go “that’s pretty cool and coldblooded.”

Also, the landscapes in the films are absolutely gorgeous.

2 Likes

True. Croatia, mostly