Whos your favorite Watson and why?

I personally like David Burke.

Nigel Bruce for sure. Grew up with him in the role, and has stayed in my head ever since really.

I’m a fan of the novels and (especially) the short stories, not of the adaptations

What about the Hammer version of The Hound of the Baskervilles? While it’s not a masterpiece, I do think it captures something of the atmosphere of the novel.

The Hound of the Baskervilles is easier to adapt to the screen than most of Conan Doyle’s other stories and novels. It all seems there for a film maker to visualize: the surroundings, the atmosphere, the monster … It’s a hellova horror story. Most of his stories aren’t that filmic, they’re more introspective, relying on detective work rather than action. The ‘atmosphere’, the sense of being there with Holmes and Watson, is of course created by Conan Doyle’s magnificent style. Compare his writings to those of the avarage thriller writer. There are exceptions (notably Patricia Highsmith), but style is often as important to crime writers than to others. The best crime writers, had a great style: Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammet, Ross MacDonald, Dorothy Sayers, Conan Doyle, Sebastien Japrisot, John Le Carré.

Must read one of the novels one day and compare to the films.

I’ve read almost everything written by Conan Doyle about Sherlock Holmes, I haven’t seen too much good adaptations though.

I agree. It would be cool to watch good adaptation of The Valley of Fear. There wasn’t too much Holmes, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.
And I love The Hound of the Baskervilles, a true masterpiece (I mean the book, not the adaptation - I saw one a year ago I think and I wasn’t impressed at all).

Me too! Although the Jeremy Brett series is quite faithful. I do think there was a drop in quality after the first season when Hardwicke replaced Burke though.

I know as Sherlockian purist I am not supposed to say this but in recent months I have warmed up to the Guy Ritchie films. They knew they could never beat Jeremy Brett so instead they went in another direction which I applaud.

It’s a difficult question. I haven’t seen a great array of Holmes films. I voted for Bruce. Scripts were tailored for his facial reaction-shots.

A nod to Duvall for delving deep enough to ‘not react’… which also worked.

Yes!! I’ve always wanted to see an adaptation of this. The fact that there isn’t much Holmes would actually help it because ideally I would like it to be more of a Donnie Brasco type story than a straight Holmes tale. Holmes should really only be in the backdrop, while the story’s focus should focus on the McMurdo character.

Yep, that’s what I actually liked in this stuff. Instead of being another novel about Holmes, Doyle proves with this book that he’s capable of creating a truly gripping thriller and very good I must say (it might be my favorite Holmes novel just after The Hound of the Baskervilles).

IF they ever do a Sign of Four movie, I always envisioned Hugh Jackman in the lead role, not playing Holmes of course, but playing McMurdo.