Who really directed MY NAME IS NOBODY?

Always thought so.

Gastaldi wrote Day of Anger and Nobody. So he may be responsible. Price of Power is different anyway.

Spoiler below! (Price of Power, 1969)

Good point about Gastaldi. However, I would argue that thematically Price of Power is about the Gemma character’s difficult relationship with his 2 father figures (biological father and the president) and his search for vengeance as each are killed by the same conspiracy (sorry about the spoiler!). So it is more similar to Day of Anger and Nobody than it might appear to be.

Price of Power is interesting because it is the movie that comes closest to capturing Leone’s mature style from OUTITW, visually and musically. Along with Petroni, Valerri was the closest imitator of Leone. That said, (the underrated ~ its enjoyable if slight) Nobody’s the Greatest also captures Leone’s style pretty well. That said, neither Price of Power or Nobody’s the Greatest (or even My Name is Nobody) come close to being as good as OUTITW or GBU.

I don’t think that much of Petroni (he was capable but uneven and overall not inspired) and I think even less of Valeriii (mostly a mediocre director), even if Day of Anger and Price of Power are good SWs in the 6/10 region.

Valerii was obviously influenced by Leone, but I think he made only pale and lifeless imitations of the Leone style. For me there are galaxies between The Price of Power and any Leone western (including My Name Is Nobody).

On the other hand I don’t think that Un genio (aka Nobody Is the Greatest) is a Leone film, and it is directed not really in the Leone style (which MNIN is whoever was responsible for it). It is not badly directed (but still an unfunny and boring mess), but it doesn’t look like a Damiani film too.

These are all from the book by Roberto Curti (it is in Italian so I have no idea what the book says…). Two of these were already posted in some other thread here and those were accompanied with one where Hill & Valerii are sitting on a dune. The dune picture is not in this book for whatever reason.

Is this last one from the set of My Name Is Nobody? (the book has several more photos from sets of other movies)

Nice photo’s. First time I have seen photo’s of Valerii of way back then.

Some of the photos were already posted in the film’s thread.

Sergio leone has told that this movie was not very successful and in a few scenes he is director because they had a very low time to finish…
Tonino Valerii was sergio’s friend…leone’s main work in this movie is producer
he has told in that period (1973…) all of the people were making weak westerns in italy and they were telling the father of these movies is sergio leone…looool

Depends what success means. My Name Is Nobody was at least in Europe a very successful film.

And what Leone said about MNIN depends on if he wanted to be identified with the movie or not, which changed from interview to interview.

Was this link ever posted here (somewhere)?

French Quarter – A Pocketful of Mumbles (Some big images from the set, the blogger have made mistakes though, the guy credited as Valerii is apparently Stefano Rolla)

Thanks to JO at the SWWB for the link.

Never seen them before. When I wrote the review of the movie, i found a French site with a lot of behind-the-scenes material, but I don’t know if I made a link to it.

Can’t remember seeing any link of that kind but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. :wink: I wouldn’t be surprised if that particular French site is by that person JO as he keeps a blog of sorts with lots of old photos and articles from various spaghetti western movies and related stuff.

http://monnomestpersonne1973.blogspot.fr/ ?

I think it was this blog, remember the red color.

And I spot Leone on 2 photos, and he looks again like the director, not like the producer …

… or is it Valerii, as the probable Leone is pretty beardless?

I actually have no idea. JO said the guy right from the policeman is Valerii but I don’t know if he looks like Valerii or Leone. Valerii looks so different in different photos and I don’t really know how Leone looks without the beard so…

But maybe Rolla directed the scene since the blogger though he was Valerii. :wink:

No…none of them is leone…his face is really different with them

On picture 8 the fat one with the megaphone and on picture 9 the one behind the camera look like Leone, only that he wear a beard on the New Orleans set. Well, like the younger Leone …

No, it’s not Leone then …

That’s actually a OUATITW deleted scene:

http://forum.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/topic,50.msg134074.html#msg134074

Wonder what made Sergio wear that hat :smiley: .