Which actors/ actresses do you wish had done more sw's?

How I wish he could have done Duck You Sucker.

Pretty much most Eli Wallach roles after the GBU were standard or just ok in my view, whether it be western or non western.

WHICH ACTORS/ ACTRESSES DO YOU WISH HAD DONE MORE SW'S?

Henry Fonda.
Jane Fonda.
Charles Bronson.
Robert Hossein.
Michele Mercier.
Lee Van Cleef.
Millie Perkins.
Eli Wallach.
Susan Strassberg.
Adam West.
George Lazenby.
Jenny Agutter.
James Coburn.

Which actors do I wish had done fewer spaghetti westerns?

William Berger.
Anthony Steffen.
Terence Hill.
Richard Harrison.
Tony Anthony.
Frank Wolfe.
Robert Woods.

The genre needed better writers. Bring in

Jim Byrnes.
Alan Sharp.
Burt Kennedy.

The genre needed better directors. Bring in:

Jack Starrett.
Monte Hellman.
Burt Kennedy.
John Hough.
Roy Ward Baker.
Ted Post.
Orson Welles.
Robert Day.
Robert Totten.
Sheldon Reynolds.
Gordon Douglas.
John Guillermin.
Michael Winner.
Robert Bresson.
Robert Hossein.
Eric Rohmer.

Richard is this some kind of joke?

There are some very bad and mediocre directors amongst them.

Strange post. I’d agree that Jack Starrett, Monte Hellman, John Hough, Roy Ward Baker, Orson Welles, Gordon Douglas, John Guillermin, Michael Winner, Robert Bresson, Robert Hossein, Eric Rohmer were (or still are) excellent directors, but it’s not like the SW was missing any. And some of them did great SW-inspired films, so at least we have that. :wink:

Jack Starrett an excellent director? Never noticed.

I always thought he was pretty good, too.

The last film I’ve watched by Starrett, RUN, ANGEL, RUN was more or less a masterpiece in my book. And he basically made that film on a shoe-string budget.
But of course tastes differ. :wink:

Venantino Venantini.

[quote=“Richard–W, post:43, topic:1783”]The genre needed better directors. Bring in:

Jack Starrett.
Monte Hellman.
Burt Kennedy.
John Hough.
Roy Ward Baker.
Ted Post.
Orson Welles.
Robert Day.
Robert Totten.
Sheldon Reynolds.
Gordon Douglas.
John Guillermin.
Michael Winner.
Robert Bresson.
Robert Hossein.
Eric Rohmer.[/quote]

Funny idea that Eric Rohmer would be good at making spaghetti westerns (or even interested in making one).

Michael Winner (Chato’s Land) and Ted Post (Hang 'm High) tried to make some sort of spaghtti western, and weren’t really successful in doing so.

Do enjoy the Winner westerns though.

Well, apart from Hossein, Winner and Kennedy are the only ones who could’ve made a genuine spaghetti western, I guess. Gordon Douglas did some excellent stuff, but his style was very different from the Italian way of film making. Same goes for Hellman (even more so)

[quote=“Richard–W, post:43, topic:1783”]The genre needed better writers. Bring in - …

The genre needed better directors. Bring in: …[/quote]

Hilarious, make spag better by replacing the Italians! Love it.

What I really wish is that Pier Paolo Pasolini had made some westerns. Look at his Edipo Re, Uccellacci e uccellini and Medea and tell me he wasn’t part way there already. Look at the epic desert backgrounds of Il fiore delle Mille e una Notte, shot in North Africa and Yemen.

They would have been genuine SW, for one thing. They would definitely had Franco Citti in them, for another (the waste of that marvelous face in Kill them all and come back alone was a CRIME!!!).

He would probably have had an easier time funding them than his usual fare. Therefore, there would be more Pasolini films in the world.

SW is full of golden moments and masterworks from hard-lefty intellectuals - ala Pasolini. His films are serious, sure, but they breathe real air and are jammed full of wicked cool moments. A Pasolini western would NOT have been affected, arty-farty tripe like EL TOPO!!!

(Hugs to the El Topo fans. I do quite like Holy Mountain, but cannot take it seriously…!!!)

Lastly, a Pasolini western might have teamed his brilliant stock cast with a SW star like, oh, say John Garko… or Chuck Connors???

O - M - G !!!

Pasolini, of course, was in Requiescant, although I’m not sure he would have been interested in or handled the requisite action scenes very well. Maybe a Zapata Western, with their political preoccupations, would have been as close as he would have come to the genre.

It would have been funny to see western from Fellini. I remember reading that he made some western scenes for Toby Dammit but they didn’t use the material in final film.

Fabio Testi

Erika Blanc ;).

John Phillip Law was great in Death Rides A Horse, he could have been another Spaghetti regular like Giuliano Gemma.

Bronson, Oates, Jenny Agutter, as already mentioned. And a new name:

Iris Berben

My biggest SW crush…