Where do I ask for suggestions/recomendations?

I’ve read the “Top 20” and what’s at the page the “Introduction” link takes you to.

I have been advised to buy a regionless DVD player.

I try to avoid films that: are comedies, and or take place in “the cold”, and or have snow in them, and or were made before or after the late 60’s, and or are monumentally bad, and or are surreal, and or are bizzare, and or whose plot is dominated by the Confederate/U.S./Mexican/Texas/Arizona/California army, and or spend too much time at a army base/fort/camp, and or have modern things like a motorcycle in them. Other than that I’m game.

These are the films I already own on DVD:

~A Fistful of Dollars
~For A Few Dollars More
~The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
~A Bullet For The General
~Django
~Run, Man, Run
~Mannaja
~The Hellbenders
~Texas, Adios
~Ace High
~Sabata
~Adios Sabata
~Return of Sabata
~Companeros
~If You Meet Sartana Pray For Your Death
~The Hills Run Red
~Taste of/for Killing
~Cjamango
~3 Bullets For Ringo
~A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die
~Navajo Joe

Please recommend me films that are R1 and in print. I’d like to get more! Thank-you.

Well - with all these limitations - you are missing out big style.
I was going to go specific but it’s too open…
No snow = no Great Silence
No confederates = no California
No after late 60s = see above …
I could go on for ever - but the whole thing about this genre is that you’ll be surprised sometime from nowhere …
My own view is that I’m (very) wary of comedies - but there are great early - and late (twilight) - spaghettis; great snow; many great army and civil war based stuff …
Don’t get hung up on swerving those scenarios, otherwise you’ll never get the bigger picture…
The thing about this genre is the surprises come from anywhere - there is no fixed motif - ask El Puro!

Strange restrictions indeed but you should be happy with almost any Wild East release except Matalo! which is really bizarre film. Johnny Yuma and Forgotten Pistolero are good examples (and they’re both double feature releases)

I agree Reverend those are some serious limitations and I think m_burlock you are missing out on some interesting and enjoyable movies.

Corbucci’s The Great Silence is one of the most revered movies here and it’s a must see.

I also enjoy some of the earlier movies but that’s a matter of my taste.

I don’t think I’m a hardcore Spaghetti Western fan.

I’d be willing to expand and go for films released before or after the late 60’s. But that’s as far as I’m willing to compromise my vision.

I don’t want a Spaghetti Western that is weird/bizzare/psychadelic/surreal/quirky. I just don’t.

In my Spaghetti West there’s nothing as modern as say, a motorcycle, in it.

I have limited space within which to store DVDs. Therefore I can’t buy everything.

There are two camps out there. One camp is made of people who’ll only rent DVDs. The other is made of people who’ll only buy DVDs. I’m firmly in the later camp.

Italian films whose plot is dominated by, for example, the Confederate Army and time spent at a fort just isn’t a western. It’s a war/combat/civil war film (i.e. the film called “A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die”) in my opinion. Some people call them “Macaroni (something I forget)”.

If these are the right words, I prefer a Spaghetti West that is cliche. Horses, Cowboys, Heat, Desert (maybe), Sun, Sheriff (maybe), Guns, Action, Machismo, Stylish, Saloon, Bar Fight (maybe), Cool, and Tension are the key words for me.

Thank-you for the suggestions! Much obliged hombre! Much obliged!

Then, as mentioned earlier, avoid ‘Matalo’ like the plague - you’ll hate it. Personally, I love it.
You should probably avoid ‘Django, Kill… If You Live, Shoot!’ for the same reasons.

Also, as mentioned earlier, you should consider giving ‘The Great Silence’ a go. It’s set in snowy mountains, but really is one of the classic spaghettis.
Another couple worth seeing would be ‘Death Rides A Horse’ & ‘Day Of Anger’.
Also ‘Keoma’ which, I admit, is a bit weird in places, but if you don’t mind the music in ‘Mannaja’ - as it’s by the same duo - you should be OK.

This is the way to go, but you can also make a lot of normal DVD players resion free by typing in a code. Sometimes it takes a fair bit of hunting down - depending on the make of the player. Also, you have to be careful to make sure you get the correct code for your player model as inputting the incorrect code can screw your player up permanently. I’ve made 3 DVD players region free in the past using this method without any problems.

[quote=“m_burlock, post:5, topic:1063”]I don’t think I’m a hardcore Spaghetti Western fan.

I’d be willing to expand and go for films released before or after the late 60’s. But that’s as far as I’m willing to compromise my vision.

I don’t want a Spaghetti Western that is weird/bizzare/psychadelic/surreal/quirky. I just don’t.

In my Spaghetti West there’s nothing as modern as say, a motorcycle, in it.

I have limited space within which to store DVDs. Therefore I can’t buy everything.

There are two camps out there. One camp is made of people who’ll only rent DVDs. The other is made of people who’ll only buy DVDs. I’m firmly in the later camp.

Italian films whose plot is dominated by, for example, the Confederate Army and time spent at a fort just isn’t a western. It’s a war/combat/civil war film (i.e. the film called “A Reason To Live, A Reason To Die”) in my opinion. Some people call them “Macaroni (something I forget)”.

If these are the right words, I prefer a Spaghetti West that is cliche. Horses, Cowboys, Heat, Desert (maybe), Sun, Sheriff (maybe), Guns, Action, Machismo, Stylish, Saloon, Bar Fight (maybe), Cool, and Tension are the key words for me.[/quote]

I actually have similar “restrictions”, I also don’t like comedies, zapata westerns, wierd westerns, although I’ve seen many of these despite my tastes.

Trying looking at some of the stuff from Blue Underground and wildeast, and VCI, and some of the Franco Cleef DVD-R’s as well.

Basically most of the best westerns have no R1 release so again, a regionless player is a must.

Some of the koch releases are pure gold. The Sollima box set, Django box set and Hallelujah box sets are pretty good. I think you will like “They Call Him Cemetery”, $10,000 Blood money, Stranger’s Gundown, as well as the Sartana films. Nothing wierd or psychedelic, although it is unusual, in a good way.

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:8, topic:1063”]I actually have similar “restrictions”, I also don’t like comedies, zapata westerns, wierd westerns, although I’ve seen many of these despite my tastes.

Trying looking at some of the stuff from Blue Underground and wildeast, and VCI, and some of the Franco Cleef DVD-R’s as well.

Basically most of the best westerns have no R1 release so again, a regionless player is a must.

Some of the koch releases are pure gold. The Sollima box set, Django box set and Hallelujah box sets are pretty good. I think you will like “They Call Him Cemetery”, $10,000 Blood money, Stranger’s Gundown, as well as the Sartana films. Nothing wierd or psychedelic, although it is unusual, in a good way.[/quote]

(Comes to attention and salutes) Sir! Thank-you Sir!

Good news! I was recently given a regionless DVD player!

[quote=“Ming, post:7, topic:1063”]Then, as mentioned earlier, avoid ‘Matalo’ like the plague - you’ll hate it. Personally, I love it.
You should probably avoid ‘Django, Kill… If You Live, Shoot!’ for the same reasons.

Also, as mentioned earlier, you should consider giving ‘The Great Silence’ a go. It’s set in snowy mountains, but really is one of the classic spaghettis.
Another couple worth seeing would be ‘Death Rides A Horse’ & ‘Day Of Anger’.
Also ‘Keoma’ which, I admit, is a bit weird in places, but if you don’t mind the music in ‘Mannaja’ - as it’s by the same duo - you should be OK.
This is the way to go, but you can also make a lot of normal DVD players resion free by typing in a code. Sometimes it takes a fair bit of hunting down - depending on the make of the player. Also, you have to be careful to make sure you get the correct code for your player model as inputting the incorrect code can screw your player up permanently. I’ve made 3 DVD players region free in the past using this method without any problems.[/quote]

Thanks Ming!

Any more suggestions folks? I’d like to make the Spaghetti Western part of my DVD collection as big as possible!

I’d go for some cheaper discs first, if I were you.
German Bounty Killer, American Any Gun Can Play and of course I advise you to buy the excellent Dutch release of God Forgives, I Don’t from me for 12 euro (sealed, price incl. shipping).