When the Devil Holds a Gun / Una colt in mano al diavolo (Gianfranco Baldanello, 1973)

Database page: Colt in mano del diavolo, Una - The Spaghetti Western Database

You know that you are a SW junkie when you start to watch them in a language you donā€™t understand, in a full frame copy of what should be in 2,35:1 and in a picture quality that would make bricks whine.

This rare film, a copy of the English version hasnā€™t surfaced yet (and in Germany it wasnā€™t released), is nothing special, only a routine outing.
Compared to Black Jack, Baldanelloā€™s and Woodā€™s earlier collaboration, itā€™s much simpler stuff, but at least itā€™s better directed than other Baldanello westerns like Kill Johnny Ringo or the amateurish 10 White Victims of the Little Indian.

Wow Stanton howda get a chance to see that?

Sounds interesting. In which language have you watched it?

Italian.

I mostly was able to follow the story, but in between I had a glimpse or two in Kesslerā€™s synopsis. When the basic plot is clear, you can understand what happens. There was only one scene in which Woods surprisingly slaps a girl in the dark, and then even more surprisingly kisses her ā€¦

But the video quality is really awful. Like a 3rd generation VHS copy from an already weak picture source.

Colt in the Hand of the Devil[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Colt%2C_in_pugno_al_diavolo%2C_Una[/url]
Wow! Two films with the same US title, both with George Wang as the heavy, both with a director with a long last name starting with ā€˜Bā€™ :slight_smile:
Could be confusing

Yeah, confusing.

The Bergonzelli one should more accurately have been called Colt in the Fist of the Devil. Or am I wrong with ā€œmanoā€ and ā€œpugnoā€?

Well done finding a copy of this one in any language or quality.

Itā€™s not quite a Holy Grail title but rare enough. Iā€™d like to see it for Woods and Berger, and because Iā€™ve always liked the main theme.

Yes, the main theme is a real good one. Was it probably also used in another film? It seemed so familiar to my ears.

Berger looks old and isnā€™t very impressive, but Iā€™m not a particular fan of him to say the truth.

He he, in a German book he is described as being in his Buffalo Bill look-alike phase.

Yap.

mano >> hand
pugno >> fist

Stanton, you still havenā€™t told us where you found this one!

I thought that was clear. Like every other SW on DVD-R I have, I got it also in a trade. I think this one was not from a forumite, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one to have a copy.

Nopeā€¦i have one. Traded it from a forum member and traded one on with anotherā€¦ Is it supposed to be rare or something?

Rare, because itā€™s not in English, itā€™s in bad quality, and itā€™s not exactly a film every one wants to see in the first place.

For these reasons not too much people will have it. Or want it.

A good 15 minutes are missing from the new DVD release: run time is only 71m PAL! ::slight_smile:

http://www.gentedirispetto.com/forum/showthread.php?24329-Una-colt-in-mano-al-Diavolo

[quote=ā€œJonathanCorbett, post:14, topic:1902ā€]A good 15 minutes are missing from the new DVD release: run time is only 71m PAL! ::slight_smile:

http://www.gentedirispetto.com/forum/showthread.php?24329-Una-colt-in-mano-al-Diavolo[/quote]

Thats is only an info from amazon.it ! Sometimes the runtime informations from amazon are wrong (I hope) :slight_smile:
I want to see that film in a nice quality. And UNCUT !

The user who posted the screenshot says he has the disc and that run time is exactly thatā€¦

Pretty much a waste of time when their is this amount missing from a dvd for me.

I bought the slashed DVDā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

I bought the DVD too. Itā€™s missing a lot, mostly small snippets of dialogue around scene changes, plus a few longer parts of about 90 seconds (more talk). The cuts are all over the place, itā€™s not like they missed one entire reel or something. Some of the cuts are very obvious, but most of the time you wouldnā€™t notice.

Image quality is really good though, and I have the feeling nothing really important is missing. I found this movie to be surprisingly talkative. And thank goodness, the gunfight at the end seems to be completely intact!

[quote=ā€œDurango, post:19, topic:1902ā€]I bought the DVD too. Itā€™s missing a lot, mostly small snippets of dialogue around scene changes, plus a few longer parts of about 90 seconds (more talk). The cuts are all over the place, itā€™s not like they missed one entire reel or something. Some of the cuts are very obvious, but most of the time you wouldnā€™t notice.

Image quality is really good though, and I have the feeling nothing really important is missing. I found this movie to be surprisingly talkative. And thank goodness, the gunfight at the end seems to be completely intact![/quote]

Well I noticed that a VHS version is available at CG but the image is so awful that I prefered to stick with the italian DVD. Iā€™m just glad that a decent reel was found.
This is how it looks the VHS rip: