What Was the First Film You Ever Saw in the Cinema?

I thought it was something like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

My first was also a Louis de Funes comedy. But it was an older one of the 60s, a re-release which was based on a boulevard play. Not very funny and mainly set inside a house. A bit disappointing and nothing of the visual features you expect from a cinema, compared to a Film on TV.

All de Funes comedies I had seen on TV before were much better. Also more visual.

[quote=“Stanton, post:22, topic:1958”]My first was also a Louis de Funes comedy. But it was an older one of the 60s, a re-release which was based on a boulevard play. Not very funny and mainly set inside a house. A bit disappointing and nothing of the visual features you expect from a cinema, compared to a Film on TV.

All de Funes comedies I had seen on TV before were much better. Also more visual.[/quote]

I guess it’s Oscar

You should give it another try, it’s based on a play, so yes, from a cinematographic point of view (‘visually’) it’s not spectacular, but it’s one of his very best comedies. I can understand that you didn’t like it when you were very young (and I assume you were very young when you saw your first movie in cinema)

Yes it was Oscar. And yes, I was very young. But I rewatched it on TV many years later, and no, it was still not one of his best for me.

Rewatched a few months ago the 1st St Tropez/Cruchot film, which was a TV highlight of the 70s.
Amusing, but not as fun as it was when I was a child. Due to a my limited time it was the only one I tried again from a series of his films on TV.

The first Gendarme movie is okay, but I think the third one (le gendarme se marie) is the best of the series; the other ‘gendarmes’ aren’t great

Some of the films he did with Bourvil are very good: Le Corniaud, La Grande Vadrouille - they have better scripts than his later vehicles. Of his later work Les Aventures de Rabbi Jacob is probably the best.

Like some other comedians, De Funès was quite funny until he started to find his own gags hilarious. He then started to be irritating. Some of the later movies are plain stupid. But I’m a lifelong fan (Bad Lieutenant is a member of the LdF-club too!)

I was introduced to him with the Fantomas films, and these I should really rewatch, as I haven’t seen them for ages.

The 3rd Cruchot was also a favourite then, and another one from the 60s, Les grande vacances.

My favourite one is The Wing or the Thigh, followed by Don’t Look Now - We’re Being Shot at.

My girl especially likes the one with the alien.

Other than kids’ movies, I think Amadeus would have been the first film I saw in the cinema. I was 12 at the time and didn’t understand some of the movie but I quite enjoyed it.

L’aile ou la cuisse is a fine comedy, wonder what film is hiding under that stone: Don’t look now, we’re being shot at

La Grande Vadrouille ?

Oui mon ami.

Et le film est avec Mike Marshall. Tres chic!

No, not exactly. I was 3.