“Fawlty Towers”
“Jeeves and Wooster”
“Poirot”
“The Return of Sherlock Holmes”
“Sergeant Bilko”

Documentries:
“The World at War”
“The Great War”

Current or recent favourites include 24, The Wire, The Sopranos, The Simpsons, Dexter, Deadwood, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Oz.

From bygone days, The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone are hard to surpass. Rawhide is another great one. Fawlty Towers never disappoints.

Good call on The World at War - the boxed set sits proudly on my shelf, too.

I’m sure there are lots of others that I can’t think of right now.

1 Like

“Fawlty Towers” is always brilliant. It’s a shame they only made one series.

You mean two, of course.

And on the contrary, I think it was a very good idea that they kept it brief - any more series and the magic would probably have diluted.

I admire the Brits for not going overboard on their shows and any making 2,3, even 4 series of a show. They don’t ruin the show by making crap episodes which aren’t worth my time.

My favorite shows:
MST3K - the greatest show ever
Fawlty Towers
Month Python’s Flying Circus
MAS*H (first three seasons)
Simpsons (first seven seasons)
Spaced - 2nd greatest show ever
The Office (BBC version did it right - it ended)
A Bit of Fry and Laurie
Young Ones
Futurama
Family Guy (first four seasons)

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:5, topic:1822”]I admire the Brits for not going overboard on their shows and any making 2,3, even 4 series of a show. They don’t ruin the show by making crap episodes which aren’t worth my time.

My favorite shows:
MST3K - the greatest show ever[/quote]

?

The Avengers and The New Avengers for me.

Steed is a true Gent, who has some lovely looking female assistants. You see many familar faces pop up in guest roles, and some of the stories are just so original.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - it was a cable based comedy show that showed mostly bad movies and made fun of them.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:7, topic:1822”]The Avengers and The New Avengers for me.

Steed is a true Gent, who has some lovely looking female assistants. You see many familar faces pop up in guest roles, and some of the stories are just so original.[/quote]

I was brought up with John Steed and Emma Peel
I’ve said this before, but as a boy I had a crush on Diana Rigg
A few weeks ago, in Brussels, I saw a set of an earlier series, with Patrick McNee as John Steed, but Honor Blackman as (yeah, as who? Emma peel?)
Have you, or any other, by any chance seen that series?
The set was pretty expensive, so haven’t bought it (so far)

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:9, topic:1822”]I was brought up with John Steed and Emma Peel
I’ve said this before, but as a boy I had a crush on Diana Rigg
A few weeks ago, in Brussels, I saw a set of an earlier series, with Patrick McNee as John Steed, but Honor Blackman as (yeah, as who? Emma peel?)
Have you, or any other, by any chance seen that series?
The set was pretty expensive, so haven’t bought it (so far)[/quote]

Yes I’ve seen that early series. Black and white and very studio bound. Honour Blackman actually played a character called Cathy Gale. She was ok but I’m afraid anyone would pale in comparrison with Diana Rigg. You are not alone Scherps. I think every boy of our generation who had a television set had a crush on the devine Miss Rigg. I saw her in a play in the West End a couple of years ago actually. No catsuits these days unfortunately but a very good actress.

Actually, the series with Blackman still wasn’t the first. That had MacNee and Ian Hendry in it and no female lead at all. So amazingly it wasn’t until the fourth series (when Rigg came on board) that the show really struck the right balance. Not many successful shows take that long to hit their stride.

Dexter (the ultimate character confliction show), Seinfeld (comedy train wreck) & Curb Your Enthusiasm (comedy train wreck with swears) of recent. Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Twilight Zone, Black Adder, Sanford & Son, Young Ones, BBC Office, Extras, Chico & The Man (with Freddie Prinze) & Outer Limits from Back In The Day.

Seinfeld is classic too.

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:8, topic:1822”]Mystery Science Theater 3000 - it was a cable based comedy show that showed mostly bad movies and made fun of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Science_Theater_3000[/quote]
Thanks for the link Frank. I’ve never heard of this show before and I was watching some videos on youtube. I have to admit it made me laugh! :smiley:

[quote=“Starblack, post:4, topic:1822”]You mean two, of course.

And on the contrary, I think it was a very good idea that they kept it brief - any more series and the magic would probably have diluted.[/quote]
I made a mistake. I thourght that the first series was twelve episodes, not six.

Whats your favourite series out of the four?

It is funny. Like Beavis & Butthead for cheap movies!

[quote=“John Welles, post:14, topic:1822”]I made a mistake. I thourght that the first series was twelve episodes, not six.
Whats your favourite series out of the four?[/quote]
I’d have to say the first. The King was hilarious!. The Christmas Carol episode & the Cavalier episode are great as well. Then season 3, 2 then 4.

New- Dexter
Dead Like Me
Ab. Fab.
Carnival
Wire in the Blood
Inspector Morse
Sherlock Holmes

Old- Twilight Zone
Monty Python
Black Adder
Dark Shadows
Maverick (A sad and shocking ommision from the last poll!)
Avengers
Wild Wild West
Star Trek
Young Ones
Bonanza

I’ve just started watching “Blackadder”. I got a VHS with the first three episodes on it and I have just watched two of them. It looks like I’ll end up buying the complete series!

I see some new series, some old & some new animated series but no older animated series. One of my favorites was the Mighty Heroes. Does anyone else remember this?

[quote=“I…I…Idiot, post:19, topic:1822”]I see some new series, some old & some new animated series but no older animated series. One of my favorites was the Mighty Heroes. Does anyone else remember this?

[/quote]
Nope. Is this an American TV series?