What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

Checking out, The Fighting Prince of Donegal, and old Disney movie. Not expecting anything brilliant, but could be a fun seeing some Irish medieval adventure.

HAH, have my sympathies @Phil_H There are a lot of Disney movies I enjoy, but The Aristocats is not one of them.

Tonight, I am doing my annual re-watch of John Carpenterā€™s Big Trouble in Little China (1986).

This came out when I was in college, and I remember half the people on my floor in the dorm going to the theater together to see the movie and then most of us going back the next day to see it again. Once it came out on VHS, we headed to the video store where we rented the movie and a VHS player (quite a common practice for a poor college student in those days). I remember probably ten or so of us crowding into a cramped dorm room to watch it yet again and a few more times after that before leaving college behind.

Afterward, we would still get together from time to time and often times, after an evening at the bar or a concert or whatever we were doing, the night would often end with another viewing. I guess, in a way, it was our Rocky Horror Picture Show. As years went by, the lives of the people in the group became busier, others moved away, and a couple of others left us forever. Now, it is a rare occurrence that any of us are able to get together for more than a cup of coffee or, if we are very fortunate, an actual dinner.

Still, once a year, I still pull this film out. I believe I can safely say that Iā€™ve seen it at least 50 times and pretty much know every line before it is spoken. At this point though, the smile on my face while watching comes as much from the memories that accompany it as it does from the movie itself.

6 Likes

Love a film like that you never grow tired of! One of the funnest movies Iā€™ve ever watched, Carpenter always delivers.

2 Likes

I adore every Russel and Carpenter collaboration and especially love Big Trouble. My local cinema near my Uni is doing a double bill of this and They Live but Iā€™m not back until September so Iā€™ll have to miss it :sob:

3 Likes

That stinks! That would be a great double feature to see in the theater.

Itā€™s been painful to get the update emails showing all the films I wonā€™t be able to see :smiling_face_with_tear: Thankfully once Iā€™m back theyā€™ve got some great stuff on including Casablanca, Shin Godzilla, Silence of the Lambs and Frankenstein!

2 Likes

In memory of the late, great, David Warnerā€¦a screening of the 1976 shockerā€¦

4 Likes

Watched it for the first time a few weeks ago as part of my Bogart-a-thon and I have to agree that itā€™s one of his best. Bogieā€™s and Bacallā€™s chemistry is phenomenal, my favourite scene being when Bogie sees her singing at the club and they exchange glances mid-song. I read on the IMDB page that apparently Hawks purposely took out a scene where the plot is explained. I think the film would have been even better if that was left in but even with the plot not making sense itā€™s still fabulous to watch for the performances alone.

2 Likes

Sam Peckinpahā€™s 1970 Westernā€¦

5 Likes

Great film - one I need to give a re-watch soon - and a great cast including both David Warner and L. Q. Jones. Good choice for the evening and a nice tribute to a couple of our ā€œlegendsā€. :+1:

2 Likes

Does the plot of The Big Sleep really does not make sense?
I canā€™t remember that I ever had any problems with the plot. Neither in the novel nor in the film.

Btw there are 2 rather different versions of The Big Sleep. The withdrawn original version, which is closer to the novel, and the then released theatrical version, for which Hawks was forced by the producer to shoot several new scenes.
Funnily the 2nd version is the much more hawksian one ā€¦

1 Like

I saw the Balled of Cable Hogue 2 weeks ago. It started good and promising, but it went down along the way. Especially the ending was strange to me. That was disappointing. Iā€™m talking about the scene with the car and what happened then. Donā€™t want to give spoilers.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say it doesnā€™t make sense but it is very confusing. I believe there are some things which were not revealed at all that makes it a bit confusing, the main one being who killed the driver.

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve read, even Chandler himself didnā€™t know apparently. :laughing:

1 Like

Excellent stuff Toscano, one of Peckinpahā€™s best. Feels a bit similar in theme and plot to Judge Roy Bean to me.

2 Likes

I saw the Indiana Jones trilogy in theaters last month. And since then, Iā€™ve been rewatching the old movie serials from Republic Pictures that inspired it. Theyā€™ve got some great Western serials, like Zorro RIdes Again and Zorroā€™s Fighting Legion. But those were made in the late-1930s, and Iā€™m on their late-1940s output now, where they started getting bogged down by stock footage from older serials. Watching Son of Zorro, from 1947, now, (I swear they did more Western stories than just Zorro). Itā€™s just going through the motions. Itā€™s a shame because Iā€™ve found myself pleasantly surprised by many of these old serials.

1 Like

ā€œInceprionā€ for me tonight.
The last few days I have been revisiting the dollars trilogy and ā€œPale Riderā€

2 Likes

A tribute to John Steinerā€¦

ā€™Tepepaā€™ (1969)

4 Likes

Iā€™m a sucker for those old serials.

2 Likes

Iā€™m watching The Swinger 1966 starring Ann-Margret. Wanted to check it out after seeing the below clip and was immensely disappointed when I found that wasnā€™t the song they used lol. Canā€™t say Iā€™d recommend it, but Ann has some incredible moves, great motorcyclist too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW25INh9zhQ

2 Likes