What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

Fearlessvampirekillersposter
This is my favourite Polanski film. A wonderful spoof of Hammer style horror. But it weaves in old German expression in subtle nods to NOSFERATU. The production design is brilliant as the musical score by k. Komeda. It creates a fairy tale atmosphere that heightens the farcical comedy element and the horror scenes.
Ferdy Mayne as Count Von Krolock is one of cinema’s most memorable vampires. The scene where he lowers himself into a naked Sharon Tate’s bathroom is unforgettable.
It has also has a strange obsession with Richard III whose portrait hangs on the wall of Von Krolock’s Castle. He also shows up for the dance of the vampires. :european_castle::skull:

1 Like

One of my all-time favorites, 10/10.

1 Like

Decided to watch it back to back WITH Hammer’s BRIDES OF DRACULA supposedly and influence on Polanski.

ES KANN NUR EINEN GEBEN!
One of my all time favorites tonight along with it’s only proper sequel. There can be only one film with a kick arse soundtrack with such many FUCK YEAH!! Tunes in it

71 SCJD5MaL.AC_SY445-1

1 Like

Last night’s movie, ‘La ragazza con la pistola’ aka ‘Girl with a Gun’ (1968)

Shown on the UK’s Talking Pictures channel 81 in it’s English version … not horribly dubbed thankfully … it appears to be Monica Vitti’s own voice filmed in English and then redubbed in Italian. Haven’t checked both versions yet.

Had only seen this once before and it’s utterly charming and very funny, but not in a forced way.

Usually if I hear the phrase, ‘Romantic Comedy’, I run for the hills !

I will check out more Monica movies as soon as possible :grinning:

One question for anyone expert on this film ? The English version has during the main and end credits the music and narration from, ‘McKenna’s Gold’ … ‘Old Turkey Buzzard’, (Italian Version) usually associated with Jose Feliciano … there is no clue or hint why this was used, as the Italian version of the movie has an English vocal singing/speaking ‘Girl With A Gun’ in a pseudo menacing voice.

Wondered if perhaps @JonathanCorbett might know the answer ?

Anyway, I loved this film, and it has the bonus of showing a very bleak wintery late sixties Scotland and England … plus Stanley Baker who looks more Bond than Connery in this. :wink:

1 Like

Before any of you watch a movie tonight, make sure to tune into the podcast

Fanatic_1965_poster

As I have travelled through 60s psycho thrillers I have been looking forward to FANATIC. Directed by an Italian. This tale of madness and torment could well have been a blue print for future Italian shockers (though I doubt it). It features a brilliant final performance from Tallulah Bankhead.
Gone is the twist in the tail style story telling and black and white photography. Along with THE NANNY it was a new direction for Hammer although they chose not to follow it.

1 Like

I have put on I’m Gonna Git You Sucka from 1988 tonight.

1 Like

I’m sure you will dig it!

1 Like

Sucka!

1 Like

Hoping to get my teeth in to ‘Fright Night’

3 Likes

Harakiri (1962, Kobayashi)
After Shoot the Living, Pray for the Dead, this is probably the best film ever made.

2 Likes

Open wide!

Just finished the Robert Redford snooze fest, ‘All is Lost’ … Jesus H. what a pile of crap!

Was it a bigger snoze fest than JERAMIAH JOHNSON?

‘Jeremiah Johnson’ is a classic !!! … and Redford made great movies throughout the 70s, barely a duffer.
So, that was one reason I watched this - if I could stand to see it again it would be unintentionally hilarious, it’s that bad.

1 Like

I enjoyed it. Loved the wind, sea and flapping sail sound effects. Cracking dialogue too. :wink:

1 Like

Redford did make classic movies in the 70s no denying that. I have even watched THE WAY WE WERE. :flushed:
Maybe I was too young for JOHNSON🤔?

Could be.
I would definitely recommend a rewatch. It’s a very good film imo

1 Like

’Only God forgives’ (2013)

Picked up a BD copy with no clue about the movie, except that I’d enjoyed the director’s previous one, ‘Drive’, when I’d expected nothing from it.

Having now experienced this, I can’t give away too much, or even recommend it for general audiences … but it certainly held my attention, and could be the blackest comedy ever … if you look at it that way.

Very violent, slow paced, minimal dialogue and beautifully made.

1 Like