What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

[quote=“Phil H, post:4933, topic:372”]We Were Soldiers

A mate of mine lent me this one a little while ago and as I am seeing him tomorrow I thought I should pull finger and watch it so I can pass it back to him. A pretty decent Vietnam war picture. A bit syrupy for my tastes in parts but an honest attempt to convey some of the realities of the first engagement of the helicopter divisions in that conflict.[/quote]
I’ve got this on VHS, but never really been wanted to watch it. It says on the back: “Starring Oscar winner Mel Gibson!”. But he won it for directing, not acting!

Watching Aslyum, this 1972 anthology is one of my favorites. I really do like the Amicus style and their story telling ability. Having guys like Robert Bloch do the writing seemed to help.

[quote=“Frank Talby, post:4936, topic:372”]Watching Aslyum, this 1972 anthology is one of my favorites. I really do like the Amicus style and their story telling ability. Having guys like Robert Bloch do the writing seemed to help.[/quote]i like pretty much all the amicus horror anthology films except " Tales That Witness Madness"

at long last i’m hitting the spaghetti western film trail again tonight with " Adios Gringo"(thanks again , rev! :))

I’m watching Death Rides a Horse at the moment. Fantastic! The opening scene alone is as good as anything Leone ever did.

One of my favorites too.

Straight On Till Morning.

A withdrawn woman wants a man / child and chooses a man who has some unusual ideas about life.
Early 70’s Hammer film which is a change of pace from the studio, but is slow going most of the time.

Very interesting.
I would say that especially the opening scene is pretty weak.

[quote=“Stanton, post:4942, topic:372”]Very interesting.
I would say that especially the opening scene is pretty weak.[/quote]
Why do you think this? I found the pouring rain and lightning especially fitting to the murdering and raping. The photography was great, I thought.

Totally in agreement - it’s great. The air of menace, and the handling of a brutal rape and murdering is exceptional.

Being awake at stupid o’clock this morning led to a Polizio double bill in the Hardcastle living room.

Violent Rome followed by The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist

Both Maurizio Merli flicks so both full of great moustaches and continual face punching which was ideal for my insomniac mood. Prefered the latter of the two but both were good mindless fun.

Yes, as I said, it’s worthy of Leone. But then again, the rape wasn’t that graphic, thank goodness.

" The Orphan" tonight.

Re: Death Rides a Horse

I too find the opening strong. Stanton, we understand you don’t like it as much as most but do you honestly find it very interesting that someone likes the film?

The expressionist use of weather to interpret mood is brilliant and the atmosphere is thick

When I first watched DRaH I was so disappointed with the 1st scene that the film was dead for me before it already really had started.
Meanwhile I don’t think it is that bad, but it is still nothing special. I rewatched the scene this afternoon, and somehow it happened that I rewatched the whole picture.

Yes, I’m still surprised that this film is liked that much by so many SW fans.

"The handling of a brutal rape and murdering is exceptional"
Here I would partly agree, and this it what saves the 1st scene a bit. But I can’t see anything expressionistic in the photography, and my main idea about it is to call it cliched. There are a few good cuts in combination with the music, but too many aspects of this scene are still only mediocre for me.

My avatar says it all. Great scene, great score, great movie!

I think what I meant to say was metaphorical photography. Not expressionist but they do operate in the same way but for different locations.

I am also not the biggest fan of the opening scene. Its too dark and has not much atmosphere for me. When the violence starts it gets better. But the zoom onto the items of the bad guys is a bit too much. It is cliche and tries a bit too hard to create an atmosphere as if you are in a crime movie and you as a viewer can also try to solve the crime. I dont like it it is not subtle enough. In contrast to the rape scene which shows the exact amount of visuality that is needed to scare the viewer without showing too much.
So i have mixed feelings about the opening, but the very beginning is not very good in my eyes, due to dark images where you really cant see anything. but some parts of it are good and i undewrstand why some like it.

Re Death Rides a Horse

I know what korano means. The outside storm reflects the inner turmiol going on inside the house. Doind this has become corny, but the director handled it originally enough for it to stick in my head, so he must be doing something right.

Right - I’ve stuck DRaH in the computer … let’s have a look as it’s a while since I’ve seen it…
Right - it isn’t too dark a print imo. It’s the MGM one I am watching, is that the same as yours valenciano? I know there are ‘darker’ prints out there.
It is a bit silly that the opening dialogue is -
“You’d better watch out - that gang’s around here.” to be answered with a fellah shouting “And what we’ve got in the cart, $200,000, then we’d better keep our eyes open.” You can only imagine that he was hoping that the thunder, wind and rain would cover this. But the nasty weather and the mud does set a good scene for the action. The men being knocked off is pretty well done, but it’s when we see the contrast into the family home, through the window, that we realise instead of the safety and security that it should afford, it’s gonna be the setting for something nastier.
The rapes, after the father is dispatched, aren’t gratuitous - but does leave a lasting impression. In fact it isn’t even obvious that they are actually raped - it’s just that I would presume that in that time and situation, it would’ve been likely. I think that says something about ‘setting the scene’ sucessfully - it leaves some gaps that the viewer fills. The scene in the house is perfect for me - there is some genuine tension, the murder of the beautiful young daughter is quite shocking. Unlike Brother valenciano, I enjoy the clues that we are given - and I’m particularly pleased that I’m gonna be in for an episodic ‘one after the other’ style sw, as with Vengeance et all…
The boy is great when he’s dumped outside - he looks genuinely shocked and unable to comprehend what’s happened, and luckily for us he doesn’t snivel for too long either.
All in all, it does the job stylishly and memorably.
As both Stanton and valenciano point out, and I’d agree, it is cliched - but that really isn’t a problem for me.
(And as I’ve just noticed JW’s post - I agree - it stays with you - maybe more in mood, than detail though.)