What Film Are You Watching Tonight?

We’ll go on with Twin Peaks, and it’s heaven.

4 people, and we watch between 2 and 4 episodes per evening.

Last episode was the incredible 15th, directed by Lynch himself, were Bob’s secret is revealed, and he kill’s again. One of Lynch’s best sequences, very brutish, very emotional.

Well, Season 1 is clearly the best of the two seasons. Season 2 is actually alright until episode 14-15 which you just watched. From then on it’s mostly soap opera stuff and plots leading to nothing… My opinion of course but I always felt that Season 2 was sadly a big let down… Hope you have a better experience :slight_smile:

I have more or less the same ideas

Even though I’m all but a Lynch fan I liked the first season: it was a well-told cross between soap opera, comedy and thriller
In the course of the second season the soap opera aspect gets more and more the upperhand and the storytelling becomes confused, leading absolutely nowhere.

No, no I watch it now the 3rd time.

It’s brillant up to episode 17, in which the Laura Palmer case is, well, “solved”. Thereafter it’s not as tight constructed. There are some unnecessary storylines besides the main story. It could have been a bit shorter, down to maybe about 26 or 28 episodes instead of 30, but overall I like it as a whole. And it has a great ending.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:1255, topic:372”]I have more or less the same ideas

Even though I’m all but a Lynch fan I liked the first season: it was a well-told cross between soap opera, comedy and thriller
In the course of the second season the soap opera aspect gets more and more the upperhand and the storytelling becomes confused, leading absolutely nowhere.[/quote]

But the 1st season are only 8 episodes, including the pilot.

It could have ended after #17, but it also could have gone elasewhere after #30.

You think so? I thought it looked a bit like Lynch trying to include as many cliff-hangers as humanly possible making the crowd scream for more and thereby gaining a third season. I like the weirdness of the last couple of episodes (am a great Lynch ‘fan’) but should have been introduced much sooner and coming as it did in the end just feels, well, weird.

Like the movie Twin Pekas: Fire Walk With Me much better. Got lousy reviews as far as I remember but it is an excellent very hard movie… People looking for the humour so apparent in the Twin Peaks-series will get a kick in the face by that one… Definitely recommended.

Gonna try to watch Death Rides a Horse today. Don’t know if I’ve got time though since I’m celebrating my nineteenth birthday tomorrow and lots of cooking has still to be done.

It’s the best series ever. The second half of the second season never comes near the brilliance of the first season and the beginning of the second season. The final episode is one of the best, if not the best, in the entire series though…

When I watched this for the first time(after watching all the previous episodes from the first season) I just made me cry.

Happy birthday Earl! My son turns 19 in May.

Many happy returns, amigo :slight_smile:

Me too, me too

Yes, Happy Birthday Earl. Nineteen is a good age. Enjoy it!

Can you remember that far back amigo?
(edit - forgot the ;))

My wife is celebrating her birthday too tomorrow

Not her 19th tho’

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:1264, topic:372”]Can you remember that far back amigo?
(edit - forgot the ;))[/quote]

I certainly can.
1979. The Undertones and The Skids featured large in my gig going and record buying. A 10 day holiday with my mates in Benidorm which contained far more drinking and less shagging than I had planned. A slimmer waistline. A full head of hair. A wage packet that was paid in cash and was entirely my own to squander as I chose. My first trip to Paris. Apocalypse Now and The Tin Drum at the pictures. Plus Woody Allen’s Manhattan (whoops is SD watching?? :o) Thatcher not yet in power. (when I turned 19 anyway)

A bloody great year.

My memory is sadly failing in many other directions but that stuff seems just like yesterday. :’(

Ahhh…The Undertones!!! The Skids, as well! But, I quite liked The Undertones!
I bought their first US LP the day of my Senior Year High School Prom.
Even though I lived in Ripley, Oklahoma, USA at the time…I was heavily into the mix of Pop/Punk/Powerpop/Mod/Reggae/Ska that was happening around '79-'80 in the UK.
At that time, I was likely the only kid in Payne county that owned singles (remember those?) and LP’s by the likes of The Undertones, The Ruts, Purple Hearts, The Chords, The Equators, Squire, Secret Affair…not to mention the Beat (here they were known as The English Beat), Sham 69, Stiff Little Fingers, and my all-time favorite rock band, The Jam!!

I used to do the whole Mod look, too! That’s right…tight, early 60’s era Italian-cut suits, pointed shoes, and even a Parka!! Never owned my own scooter, but I used to go 'round on a buddy’s old Lambretta back in the day.
And now look at me…doing gunfight shows in Tombstone, Arizona!!
Talk about a switch!! :smiley:

Of course, none of this has anything to do with what film I will be watching tonight (which will be the Japanese crime film JEAN’S BLUES with Meiko Kaji)…but, I just couldn’t resist engaging in a bit of wistful nostalgia!!!

Right there with you guys, I turned 19 in '78. Those were the days…

Watched The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy with the family tonight. Good fun but I enjoyed the radio series more.

My wife rented Casanova (Heath Ledger, Sienna Miller, Jeremy Irons) so I suppose I will be watching that tonight. She’s been better about putting up with the westerns so I guess I owe her one!

The Hallelujah Trail is on Encore tonight. Might just watch that, although I’m tempted to put something in the player.

Watched the late, great Roy Scheider last night in one of my alltime favorites - “Sorcerer.” Never have understood the title though. Why didn’t they keep the title of the original, “Wages of Fear?” ‘Sorcerer’ wasn’t even Scheider’s truck in the movie.