What do y'all think about Tomas Milian and his movies?

I like Tomas Milian and most of his movies very much !!! Maybe his comedies are not so great but most of his serious stuff is admireable !!!

What do y’all think ??? Just name your favourite movies with him and tell us why that is !!!

I love this guy, think he is incredible, and he has done a number of important spaghettis, Django Kill, Face To Face and Companeros, among others.

i like face to face very much ,but i think it s wrong to say milian is great at this role,the movie is so great because of the playing of milian and volonte…

he has done a number of important spaghettis, Django Kill, Face To Face and Companeros, among others.

Yes, Volonte is also great, Face To Face is a fantastic spaghetti, I think the ending in the desert has really strong scenes.

I think he is one of the more talented of the sw actors,and he usually seemed to pick good sws to be in… !RUN CUCHILLO RUN!

Rum Man Run is my fav along with the Big Gundown and Companero’s.

Speaking of Volonte and Face To Face, it’s funny how different he is in that film compared to his other roles in spaghettis, but he fits perfectly.

Anybody seen the new italian DVD release of Tepepa?
I’ve seen this film on an old greek tape and I think it’s also a good spaghetti, but it was a while since I saw it. The film should obviously be even better in it’s new release :slight_smile:

I like Milian, too. Although he isn’t this lone stranger or outlaw und gunman. Or maybe because of that…?!

i think most of you know the story about Milian and Volonte…that both had a conversation about communism and both got so angry that one of them picked up a fight.And Sergio Sollima had to settle the dispute… :slight_smile:

Tomàs Milian (Tomàs Quintin Rodriguez) born 03.03.1937 in Cuba

His SW :

1966 - La resa dei conti (The big gundown) : Certainly one of the best SW ever with a great Tomàs and even greater Lee van Cleef

1967 - Sentenza di morte (Death sentence) : Extremely hard SW with Tomàs in the role of a gold crazy albino (very extaordinary role), not a lead role

- The bounty killer (The ugly ones) : Good movie, great performance
     - Se sei vivo spara (Django kill) : Lots of brutality but cult; I love it !!!
     - Faccia a faccia (Face to Face) : Very good movie co-starring Gian Maria Volontè    
       and William Berger (both exellent)

1968 - Tepepa (Blood and guns) : Haven’t watched it yet, supposed to be very good
and entertaining. What do you think ???
- Corri uomo corri (Run man run) : Good one

1969 - O’Cangaceiro (Viva Cangaceiro) : Don’t know it yet, supposed to be a
good ‘Zapata’ western taking place in Brazil. Your opinion ?

1970 - Vamos a matar companeros (Companeros) : Entertaining ‘Zapata’ western

All later movies were not so great (at least I think so) except ‘I quattro dell’ Apocalisse’
(Four gunmen of the apocalypse) which is a masterpiece, I think !!!

I haven’t heard of this :o. I know that Volonte was a communist but tell me more, if you know more.

I heard this story by an interview with Sergio Sollima and he told that volonte who is like you said a communist had a conversation with Milian who is Cuban fugitive(or is it called refugee - i dont know) about communism.So both got so angry on each other that they had a fight.And Sergio Sollima had to settle the dispute and in the end both apologized to each other .

Who saw " Life Is Tough, Eh Providence? " (in my want-list) and" Here We Go Again, Eh Providence?".
It hears Tomas is a bit"crazy"… but always excellent…

Yea I like Tepepa very much too, though the version I saw had the sound drop completely out where there was no English dialog. I had a friend transfer it from Pal to an R1 for me so the options don’t work.

Its more in the Zapata Western mode and serious but good, though I think a couple of important plot lines are lost or at best only can be guessed at in the “Blood & Guns” cut. Orson Wells is at his oiliest best.

[quote=“Silvanito, post:8, topic:235”]Anybody seen the new italian DVD release of Tepepa?
I’ve seen this film on an old greek tape and I think it’s also a good spaghetti, but it was a while since I saw it. The film should obviously be even better in it’s new release :)[/quote]

I have this italian version at home. Right now im away so I cannot check, but I think it has some odd stuff in the audio+subtitles. Something like theres no english audio in few scenes and english subttles either. So if you dont understand italian you have to watch some scenes mute. Not sure though.

But about the topic. Of course he is the actor number one when talking about italian genre movies. Sometimes he overacts, I think, but without that he wouldnt be Milian.

Yea its probably the same cut I have though I don’t have the option of watching the Italian cut, since I do understand Italian that would make things a bit clearer.

[quote=“Silvanito, post:8, topic:235”]Anybody seen the new italian DVD release of Tepepa?
I’ve seen this film on an old greek tape and I think it’s also a good spaghetti, but it was a while since I saw it. The film should obviously be even better in it’s new release :)[/quote]

I have only the Jerski’s version, which isn’t complete either but it runs 116 minutes and the english audio is restored to those “mute” scenes. Very well made in overall and a great movie.

And what comes to topic. For me Milian is the man although I haven’t seen his Italian crime thrillers yet. But in SWs he really hits it. I like every smallest detail in his performances in front of camera. He often “steals the show” completely but in a good way. True genius what comes to acting. Very much like Kinski but maybe a little easier to like.

What about ‘Kill Django, if you live, shoot’ and ‘4 of the Apocalypse’ ???

Tomas Milian is fantastic, especially in SW’s. He also really good in Fulci’s Don’t torture a Duckling and Lenzi’s Almost Human. But, my favourite are the Er Monezza and Nico Giraldi cop movies. Anyone else seen them?