What book are you reading tonight?

Kafka is god, period. The Castle and The Metamorphosis are absolutely stunning. I’ve yet to read his Amerika.

If you like his other work, I think you’ll enjoy it, too.

I’m certain that I will, but as far as I know, it’s the least mind-bending of his three novels, The Castle being his most oneiric effort (and my most favourite). Personally, I venerate The Castle, for it is so metaphysical, so lushly atmospheric and chilly in its airy form.

For me The Castle was repeating the same motives too much. I got a bit tired while reading it.

Used to be one of my favorite writers during my teens, and I’ve read all his fiction stuff except The Castle. Maybe it’s time to finally check that out.
My favorite of his works used to be Amerika. Marvellous stuff.

I’m going through some of THE TRAILSMAN series by Jon Sharpe.

why not to add another book to the pile - Gustav Meyrink - Valpurgis Night - one of my all time favorite writers

Umberto Eco’s The Name of the Rose, which despite being first published in 1980, thirty four years ago, I still think of a as a “modern novel”. Incredibly written and cements my burgeoning interest in Italian literature that began by reading the works of Giuseppe di Lampedusa; I’ve ordered Dante’s The Divine Comedy, but now I’m looking for other recommendations for great Italian novels. Can anyone here help with my new quest?

I’m not familiar with Italian literature, but I loved some of Alberto Moravia’s novels, especially one of his first works, Time of Indifference from 1929.

Also, one of the best books I ever read happens to be Italian, Curzio Malaparte’s La pelle (The Skin, 1949). The writing is a force of nature, its style seemingly something completely original (original in the unprecedented sense of Kafka or the late Joyce) and it might also be the most harrowing thing I’ve ever read (including De Sade and his disciples…).

Just started reading Kevin Grant’s ANY GUN CAN PLAY with which I’m going to spend most of my evening. 8)

Jon Sharpe DEAD MAN’S TRAIL

I finished reading The Good, the Bad, and the Very Ugly: A Hollywood Journey by Sondra Locke.

I found this quite interesting, and it’s very well-written. This was not ghost-written; Sondra Locke proved to be a very adept writer for (as far as I know) a one-time author. She documents her childhood in Shelbyville, Tennessee; her friendship and subsequent marriage to Gordon Anderson; her start in acting and her discovery by Warner Brothers; her relationship with Clint and subsequent breakup/lawsuits involving Clint and Warner Bros; and overcoming breast cancer.

TBH, I’m certain this book will piss off many diehard Clint Eastwood fans. To me, at least, the book has the ring of truth to it. It doesn’t take away from my enjoyment of the Eastwood works that I’ve always liked. But it reveals another side that, if accurate, puts him in a very different light from the screen icon most identify him as.

I actually found the parts about Clint to be the least interesting. Sondra’s marriage with her husband Gordon (who is gay) certainly seems odd until you really learn the reasons and history behind it. He sounds like a fascinating individual, and Sondra recounts many paranormal incidents that occurred with and around him. Whether one believes in such things or not (and having experienced the unexplained on several occasions myself, I’m very open to it), it can make someone think.

Unfortunately, the book is out of print, but I was able to get it for not much more than its original cover price (it was from 1997).

I’m hooked that period with Lee Child’s books.Especially those with the character of Jack Reacher.

Jon Sharpe SILVER SLAUGHTER

Jon Sharpe MACHINE GUN MADNESS

My latest MS.

I also just ordered 30 oater mmpbs from eBay for $35. Looking forward to getting them in the mail!

Zeke Masters THE BIG GAMBLE

Coreyography, by Corey Feldman (2013).

A very interesting autobiography by Corey Feldman, the former child star most famous for the '80s hits The Goonies, Stand By Me, and The Lost Boys. Apparently, he was a natural at acting, because it doesn’t appear that he ever had the need to formally study acting. He went through a lot, and the book contains some very hard truths about Hollywood behind-the-scenes, especially as it pertains to child actors. He recommends that parents keep their children out of Hollywood and to let them live a ‘normal’ life. It’s not your typical self-indulgent autobiography like many celebrities put out (or have put out for them).

Prior to reading his book, I had felt that Corey was a talented actor, but now I give him a lot of credit for telling his story. He is still working today, though more quietly than before. I got my copy from one of Amazon’s other sellers, and oddly enough, it appears to have been signed by him. The book’s brand new, so I can only guess that he signed a bunch of them at a book store appearance and this is one of them.