What book are you reading tonight?

(Bible Joe) #541

Hmm, yeah, I’ll probably pick it up sometime in the future.

(Marvin W. Bronson) #542

I’ve visiting a few books in the BUCKSKIN series by Kit Dalton. I really enjoy Chet Cunningham’s sparse style. It fits his oaters good.

(Asa) #543

Top 5 King? Difficult. I love most of them, for all manner of reasons. If pushed though (and from his proper novels only):

1. The Stand (the full, uncut version)
2. 'Salem’s Lot
3. Pet Sematary
4. The Shining
5. Danse Macabre
(a nonfiction piece looking at horror as a genre from 1950-1980. How I WISH he would follow this up with a look at horror from 1980-2010)

I REALLY love his short-form stuff, though. Night Shift, Skeleton Crew (the very best book he’s ever produced, IMO), Nightmares & Dreamscapes (featuring Crouch End, my favourite King short story of all), Everything’s Eventual, Just After Sunset… even the novella collections like Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight or Full Dark, No Stars, I can’t get enough of these short stories and I re-read these books WAY more than I do his full-length pieces.

(Marvin W. Bronson) #544

I concur about DANSE MACABRE. It would be nice if he put out a second volume.

And I also really enjoy his short story/novella outputs. Like you, I usually find I read those more than his novels.

(Filmlovr1) #545

I just completed two nonfiction books:

Laurel Canyon: The inside story of rock and roll’s legendary neighborhood, by Michael Walker.

Kicking and Dreaming: A story of Heart, soul and rock &roll, by Ann & Nancy Wilson, with Charles R. Cross.

(Marvin W. Bronson) #546
Kicking and Dreaming: A story of Heart, soul and rock &roll, by Ann & Nancy Wilson, with Charles R. Cross.

That sounds interesting. Any good?

(Filmlovr1) #547

Yes, it is pretty good, IMO. It’s written in a point-of-view style, with Ann and Nancy (and others involved) telling their experiences. It has a fair amount of ‘inside dirt’ on the music industry as well as comments (some positive and others not so positive) about certain other groups/singers, etc., they’ve worked with/encountered. I love reading about how successful people get their inspiration, rise to success in their fields, and how they are affected by those changes in their lives.

(Bill san Antonio) #548

Horror short stories by Guy de Maupassant. So far they’ve been really good.

(Marvin W. Bronson) #549

Thanks! I used to really like Heart. I might give this a day in court.

(Filmlovr1) #550

As someone who grew up in the '70s and liking their music, at the time, I never even considered that Heart was the groundbreaking group that they were. They were so good, I didn’t think of them as the first female-led rock band in a male-dominated industry; I just thought, ‘That’s great stuff!’

(Marvin W. Bronson) #551

The fact that they were chicks always stuck out at me. I thought it was a great move to thrust them forward in the spotlight. They could really rock in the 70s. I didn’t care for their later 80s material, though. By that time I had already fallen out of love with them. sigh

(Filmlovr1) #552

I agree that their best stuff was in the '70s. One of their few '80s hits I liked was These Dreams.

(Marvin W. Bronson) #553

Dirk Fletcher SAVAGE SISTERS

(Col. Douglas Mortimer) #554

Yeah I actually prefer King’s short story stuff to the novels, but I like the novels too.

Great stuff!

(ENNIOO) #555

Just started to read “Actors of The Spaghetti Western”…interesting stuff.

(Filmlovr1) #556

Sounds cool. Thanks for mentioning this.

(Marvin W. Bronson) #557

That does sound interesting. Who wrote it?

(Mickey13) #558

(Marvin W. Bronson) #559

I enjoy the work of Kafka that I’ve read. Very imaginative writer.

(Stanton) #560

Yes, Kafka is great, very entertaining stuff. At least most of his short stories and The Trial.