What are your unpopular Spaghetti Western opinions?

I didn’t find a similar thread so we go.

1. Django is a great film… but I don’t know, not personally one of my favorites.

2. Not directly related but there’s a connection: Sartana was inspired by James Bond. I hate James Bond but absolutely love Sartana.

3. Lots of people on this forum dislike comedy westerns but I think they’re awesome and entertaining.

4. Danton brothers (Fred, played by Anthony Steffen and Johnny played by Mark Damon) from “Dead Men Don’t Count” don’t get enough love around here. If you’re having a bad day, just watch this duo for awhile and you’ll feel better :smiley: Steffen and Damon were both also in “A train for Durango”, for those who want to see more of these two together.

6 Likes

I think Cut throats nine is great

5 Likes

Here’s a few off the top of my head…

1. I don’t think Brett Halsey has done enough to warrant him a place in the hall of fame over the likes of Damon and Hill. His only good film is Today we kill…tomorrow we die.

2. I’m not a huge fan of Django Kill, even though it remains in the top 20.

3. Bad dubbing doesn’t bother me too much.

4. I like Hunt Powers (probably more than I should considering his dreadful Fidani films).

pretty good thread idea :+1:

2 Likes
  1. I don’t see what’s that great about The Great Silence.
  2. Alive or Preferably Dead is a good and entertaining movie.
  3. Eli Wallach steals the show in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He carries the movie.
  4. Charles Bronson is boring to watch and not convincing as a gunfighter.
3 Likes
  1. Leone was a slightly overrated, plagiarizing ego maniac.

2. Tonino Valerii and Ferdinando Baldi were better spaghetti western directors on the whole than Sergio Corbucci.

3. If I can’t have a high quality Blu-ray release of a movie, I am quite happy with whatever I can find, no matter how bad the transfer, if it’s a spaghetti I haven’t seen before.

4. A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die is a great spaghetti western and the majority that say otherwise most likely have never seen the un-cut release.

5. The Taste of Violence is most definitely, beyond the shadow of a doubt a spahgetti western. (That’s right @stanton! :laughing: :wink:)

4 Likes

:rofl: Brilliant! … I think you’re off everyone’s Christmas card list after that F Bomb - nice one.

6 Likes

A Reason to Live, a Reason to Die is one of the coolest movies out there. It’s a perfect movie with a perfect score.

3 Likes

Uncontroversial:
Leone was a vastly underrated, plagiarizing ego maniac.
Cut Throats Nine is cool
A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die is cool

Controversial:
Django is overrated.
Django Kill is overrated.
Bronson was a bit wooden.

5 Likes

Srill have no idea what the consensus is about this movie on here, but Shoot the Living, and Pray for the Dead is one of the best Spaghetti Westerns ever made and trumps some other ones currently in the top twenty.

4 Likes

Very well may have seen the cut release and I still put that in my top twenty. That scene where Eli gets them away from the Confederate soldiers by pretending the war has ended is one of the best in any Spaghetti Western.

2 Likes

I’d go along with this. It’s vastly influential, but not nearly as excellent a film as its reputation would indicate.

4 Likes

Totally agree. #5 on my list.

1 Like

Once Upon a Time in the West is dull. It contains some cracking set-pieces, yes, but It goes on and on and on, and those individual theme tunes are deeply irritating.

(I think that’s the only non-consensus view I’ve got)

3 Likes

moderator privileges revoked :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

You are right. In the beginning you only hear the harmonica when Bronson is playing the harmonica. And that was cool!. But then the tune keeps coming back, even when he’s not playing. Really dissapointing. It becomes irrittating and the movie is tedious in the end. To me, it’s still a good movie, but not a favorite.

4 Likes

This opinion is more insightful than unpopular. There is nothing to agree or disagree with. It’s just how it is.

1 Like

Great idea for a thread.

1. A Bullet for the General is pretty weak. Great in a lot of departments (music, direction and story mostly) but I think the characters are drywall and the ending is daft.

2. Starblack is pretty great. A bit strange and corny yeah, but I thought it was good fun.

3. This probably won’t surprise people but I think The Price of Power is one of the absolute best westerns ever made in any capacity.

4. I think the likes of Sabata, Sartana and They Call him Cemetery all suck.

5. I think Keoma sucks too, but I like almost every other Castellari film I’ve seen and consider myself a big fan of his. Johnny Hamlet is my 8th favourite spag and I love his Euro-Crime films especially. Just strange I hate what he, Nero and others consider to be their best film.

3 Likes

Same. I think it’s a fine piece of art considering the low budget is so obvious. Vari’s other westerns that I’ve seen though (A Hole…, Degueyo and The Last Killer) not so much.

Can’t say I’d agree with this though. I’d agree Valerii’s style was more polished and that he was more consistent, but his films weren’t as groundbreaking for not just spaghettis but westerns in general like Corbucci’s. I can agree with others about Django somewhat…it hasn’t aged as well as The Mercenary or The Great Silence.

I agree with you entirely on taking what you can when it comes to obscure cinema. I have loads of bootlegs in my eurocult collection and it doesn’t bother me.

2 Likes

I guess that’s why this post is for “unpopular” opinions. :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

I admit my opinion of Corbucci is tainted by the level of cruelty he showed toward horses in his films. There was no reason for some of the things that he did other than shock value and torturing horses is a cheap, lazy, and inhuman(e) way to attain this film element.

Hope you don’t mind me asking, but could you explain a little further on this - who was he plagiarizing other than Kurosawa in FoD? And what makes him a ego maniac you think?

1 Like