What are your opinons on dvd extras?

Count me in as well. I don’t own the DVD so far, but i watch it everytime it’s on the TV.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16662_5-innovative-ways-hollywood-screwing-you-over.html

The hazards of double dipping is exemplified in this little short:

Watch it if you haven’t, it’s excellent.

An excellent film which pretty much negates everything I’ve ever said about the futility of remakes.
Or maybe it’s the exception that proves the rule.
I’ll go with the latter.

I love many kinds of extras. The interviews, the trailers, the mini documentaries. I love to watch every bit of moving SW information.

I don’t like the text based extras of the photo shows. They a re boring and mostly superfluous, although I used one photo of the simpel Arriva Sartana for my desktop…

I like the extras, as long as it’s something other than the bare bones “trailer and stills” type.

I don’t care for the commentaries that accompany the film, I find it highly distracting and haven’t been able to sit through more than 5 minutes of one, even in my favourite films.

I love to watch documentaries and stuff when it comes to old genre films I like (sw, giallo etc) but with new stuff I don’t really care about them. Have you noticed that all the documentaries are more like promo material in the new movies? Everyone are always praising the film and crew and everything. It’s so much more fun to watch guys remembering the movie they made 25 years ago. People are ready to say what they really thought about it and the other actors etc.

Usually I’ve been disappointed with commentary tracks (OUTITW and OUTITA are good examples of bad commentary tracks) but I love Werner Herzog’s commentaries, he’s such a funny guy.

I rarely watch the extras. It happens sometimes though, when I finished watching the movie and I’m in a lazy mood. When the main menu then returns I sometimes go to the extras in order to postpone putting another dvd in the player.
Most of the time featurettes or interviews are not good or just plain boring. Of course it also depends on the person that’s being interviewed or the subject matter of a featurette. Tomas Milian interviews for instance are a lot of fun to watch.
I never watch a film with the commentary track on.

I don’t have the time to watch all these extras and audio commentaries. So I watch only about 10 or 20 % of them. I nevertheless prefer to buy Special Editions, if not only for their often more beautiful design.

Most interesting are the deleted scenes on the newer movies, as they show something about the creative process.

[quote=“alk0, post:21, topic:1661”]Count me in as well. I don’t own the DVD so far, but i watch it everytime it’s on the TV.
[url]http://www.cracked.com/article_16662_5-innovative-ways-hollywood-screwing-you-over.html[/url][/quote]

I have to watch the DVD of this because where I’m from, the TV version is extremely cut. I hate watching TV airings of movies in general because they rarely ever show it uncensored and uncut.

I love watching SW interviews and docs even though they are very boring because it gives you a chance to find out what they look like and what they are up to nowadays.

I have to say the most boring interview for me must’ve been Lou castel on the wild east kill and pray disc. He and the interviewers were mumbling gibberish half the time. But still I found it interesting!

in theory the extra stuff is good, but apart from postergalleries and sometimes cinematrailers i never watch them… I love reading interviews with old directors and actors in fanzines, but find them very boring to watch, if it´s not Tomas Milian or Umberto Lenzi of course!
I prefer the “extras” on old rental vhs-tapes, i.e. the video label intro + trailers for 80s videoreleases, haha!

I forgot one thing, I generally don*t watch the audio commentaries…

Excellent points… I have the same problems with newer films. Also run into this sometimes on mainly Anchor Bay releases of older horror movies. They like to put the old promo material on the discs as extras instead of doing new interviews… so its some promo spot from the 80s when the movie was released… kind of interesting to watch sometimes, but more often just fluff

I really like interviews with Enzo Castellari, Franco Nero, the Mario Caiano interview on Shanghai Joe is great… Tomas Milian gives good interviews but I usually find my opinion of him being kind of annoying backed up, as he comes across as quite caught up in himself being great…

The interview on my Four of the apocalypse with him is just like that. He might be a big actor, but he also seems to be a big %&$§*#

Exactly… every interview I see him in is like that… I enjoy the information but now I always see him as an ass when I’m watching his films

If he was going to be an ass, he should of taken some lessons on how to do it properly from Kinski :smiley:

Indeed. Kinski was a manic, but a nice maniac.

Great seeing lots of love for Capenter’s The Thing. I love the movie and the extras on the DVD are top notch.

The type of extras I enjoy seeing are deleted scenes, lengthy making of documentaries (not the 5 minute ones that are a waste of time), and humorous commentaries. I too hate when people talk out of their ass on commentaries.

I like funny commentaries as well… I can’t usually find the time to watch a film with the commentary on, but I have enjoyed them when I’m able to. Once it gets rolling, it keeps my attention surprisingly well- as long as its a good commentary that is

He likes his work but he’s not very serious and he doesn’t just praise himself, I don’t think he comes across as an ass.

So, it seems to be in the eye of the beholder…