What are your interest other than spags?

Wow, you’re an interesting guy Chris.

Just forgot to add my favourite authors:

HP Lovecraft, Guy De Maupassant, Victorian and Gothic horror.

OK, since this topic has been revived I thought I’d share my other interests too.

Musically, I too was a Punk in the seventies and particular favourite bands were The Pistols, The Damned, Clash, Saints, Ramones, Souixsie and the Banshees, The Buzzcocks, Magazine, The Undertones, The Jam and The Skids amongst others. As all Punks of that era in the UK will tell you, if you were into Punk you were into Reggae too. The two went hand in hand and if you went to the clubs in London to see bands the music played between sets was always reggae. As a result I’ve always been fond of Bob Marley, Dennis Brown and I Roy as well as all of the Jamaican classics of the sixties and seventies, in particular Jimmy Cliff and Desmond Dekkar.

As I got older my musical journey took me in all sorts of directions but the general route was Blues (BB King, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, George Thoroughgood, Stevie ray Vaughan) to Soul (James Brown, Otis Redding, Curtis Mayfield) to Jazz (too many to list but including Miles Davis, Coltrane, Lee Morgan, Horace Silver and Jimmy Smith) and then back to the pre punk rock of my youth (Led Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Bad Company, Rory Gallagher) which I rediscovered recently and am loving all over again. On top of all this I obviously love the soundtracks to Spaghetti Westerns and am a huge Sinatra fan. Who would have thought? Sex Pistols to Sinatra. It’s a funny old life eh?

As for other stuff, I am a film buff in general and am a big fan of all sorts of stuff from the comedy of Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Woody Allen and Monty Python to Hard Boiled thrillers and gangster pictures of the 30’s and 40’s, Westerns in general, The Coen Brothers, Bond films…and on and on and on.

I work in the Travel industry and have always loved travelling. Currently, I run a company selling holidays to China which has sparked a new interest in that direction. It really is a fascinating country of contrasts.

And lastly, my reading tastes are as eclectic as my music. Favourites include: Gunther Grass, Steinbeck, P G Wodehouse, Kerouac, J B Priestly, Mervyn Peake plus a whole host of crime fiction from Raymond Chandler to Tony Hillerman.

Sorry to ramble on so long. Once I got started it just semed to go forever! :slight_smile:

All kind of things people usually find boring: philosophy (especially Hume, Russel, Wittgenstein and Popper), history, 19th century literature (Dickens, Dostojevski, Gogol), foreign languages (I’m learning arabic at the time), politics …
And, oh yes, I love soccer and beautiful women.

Well besides spaghettis i am into movies, of course. Not any special genre, but i tend to go to european or in general arthouse movies when going to the cinema. Some exceptions(for example 300, which i liked)but mostly no blockbusters.
I absulotely love music and going out at night and dancing in clubs. Mainly to electronic/techno music, but pretty much open to everything(drum n bass, regea dancehall; ever heard of bucovina club, balcan music mixed with eletronic beats). And no i dont do drugs, if the music is really good i dont even drink at those parties.
Besides that i like playing and watching football(yes sherpschutter, spaghettis are european so its called football here ;)) i used to play in kreisliga c which is the second lowest(10th)league in germany, i also like to watch football when i get the chance live in a stadium, my club is the 1.fc Cologne(we just won 4:1 but my internet stream broke down in the second half). hope to get playing here in heidelberg where i just moved to make my master in molecular and cellular bioscience. That of course also interest me.
I am also into documentaries or semi-documentaries(if that exist my example being the book killing pablo about pablo escobar, but not written in a documentary style.)
Ohh yes i also love carnival, in the rhineland where i come from, but there i do drink a bit more, hehe.
ohh languages are also interesting, i speak spanish a bit and some english…
travelling is also cool, but i really enjoy living in a place rather than just visit it, or the best is if you know some people their who can show you their country/city

Football, Fussbal, I know, I’m european too.
And you’re internet stream broke down right now, the first time in … well, a long time that die 1e F.C. Koeln won a game? How bad.

Without kidding: what exactly happened to your team? I remember they once (or even more than once) had one of Germany’s strongest teams; I remember players like Wolfgang Overath, Dennis Loehr, a Yugoslavian Goalkeeper called Soskic … And if i’m right they reached the semi-finals somewhere in the '70s …

It’s a bit off-topic, I guess.

Talking about cinema, i saw ‘Das Wunder von Bern’ (I think that was the title) the other day, about the World Cup final against the marvellous Magyars in 1954; a nice film, even if the ‘football-scenes’ weren’t completely convincing. But the boy and Sepp Herberger where OK.
I told you, i like football.
Hopefully your stream will work within 16 months …

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:25, topic:284”]Football, Fussbal, I know, I’m european too.
And you’re internet stream broke down right now, the first time in … well, a long time that die 1e F.C. Koeln won a game? How bad.

Without kidding: what exactly happened to your team? I remember they once (or even more than once) had one of Germany’s strongest teams; I remember players like Wolfgang Overath, Dennis Loehr, a Yugoslavian Goalkeeper called Soskic … And if i’m right they reached the semi-finals somewhere in the '70s …

It’s a bit off-topic, I guess.

Talking about cinema, i saw ‘Das Wunder von Bern’ (I think that was the title) the other day, about the World Cup final against the marvellous Magyars in 1954; a nice film, even if the ‘football-scenes’ weren’t completely convincing. But the boy and Sepp Herberger where OK.
I told you, i like football.
Hopefully your stream will work within 16 months …[/quote]well we have a topic on football, its called what is your favourite football team. as with most of the stuff here we have different topics for.
except the art thing. i am not that much of an artist, cant draw nor play any instrument. i like most art, modern art better, if it is not a strange performance art. And i like fotos and graffiti, anybody knows banksy? i just discovered him through my girlfriend, and gave her a book about him for her birthday. really cool. I liked snapping some pics with my cheap digicam, but now it is drowned in milk since i hab an accident wiht my bike. when my girlfriend comes i can take some pics of heidelberg where i just moved to, and act like the thousands of tourists that swarm the citiy. if the get on my nerves i feel that i could act like michael douglas in falling down.

Not at all - just put down ‘Wittgenstein’s Poker’, an account of his and Popper’s only face to face meeting (and just as explosive and philosophically confused as Milian/Volonte’s).
Anyway … Art, art and some more art, followed by beer and a curry. Spaghetti Westerns (no other genre will do it) exist primarily to stop me doing and reading about art-stuff, and to keep me out of the pub. (I dont care what sort of art it is - I’ve dabbled with ‘traditional’ portraits in oils, taught it, just done a masters in philosophy and history of sculpture, tattooing(only on myself and friends(and they’re still my friends)) … I’ve even got a ‘wonky’ sparrowhawk after it broke it’s neck flying into a window and encouraged me to try my hand at taxidermy. But airbrushing is my main thing and earns me the odd crust.
Music is usually incidendal and a soundtrack to what goes on - but if I have a choice it’ll be a spag collection or Morricone, heavy rock, ska or blues/soul … but my mind and ears are usually open to allsorts. Which reminds me… Just had a listen to your surf-music Chris and loved it. The whistlin is genius … Cd’s available??
… oh yeah … ‘n’ nuns (I am a fuckin man of the cloth after all)

(‘n’ football just aint the same game. Since Vialli left Chelsea and Rushden and Diamonds went back to the conference… it jus makes me wanna cry!)

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:27, topic:284”]… oh yeah … ‘n’ nuns (I am a fuckin man of the cloth after all)

[/quote]

Had a shot at taxidermy too, but what looked like a penguin turned out to be a nun. I’m in the nun-cloth-thing too since then, my favourite non-western being La monaca di Monza.

[quote=“Reverend Danite, post:27, topic:284”]Which reminds me… Just had a listen to your surf-music Chris and loved it. The whistlin is genius … Cd’s available??
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind remarks, Reverend! No CD’s available, at this time, though. The only recordings that are available (that I am aware of) are the ones on the MySpace page and those were done live in the living room of my house back in 1998.
If I can ever drum up any other recordings, I will let you know, amigo!