What are the criteria for movies in the sw-database?

I have not seen it yet, but have in my to watch pile.

Itā€™s filmed in Italy

[quote=ā€œBad Lieutenant, post:102, topic:457ā€]Itā€™s filmed in Italy[/quote]Which doesnā€™t make it a sw in my eyes.

Is this film really western? There seems to be police cars in the poster.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Cane_arrabbiato

Not a western for sure in my view, and have viewed a couple of times. Set in modern day, well modern day when the film was made in the mid 80ā€™s.

Maybe Iā€™ll add some ā€œthis is not a westernā€ tag or something to the page then.

Actually, we should delete itā€¦ Seb?

Maybe it is a half-western. Set in the present, but with many western elements.

The story seems to be from a western.

all depends on what you consider ā€œwesternā€, if thereā€™s people on horses in the west then maybe okayā€¦ but itā€™s not really set in the old west I supposeā€¦

Man, Pride, Vengeance or La colera del viento arenā€™t either.

Question is if it contains enough western elements to call it at least a half western. Ennio may know ā€¦

Alot of car chases in the film. Also a helicopter is used in a chase sequence. Automatic weopons also used. Some guys wear cowboy hats and the main guy wants his horses back, but does not feel like a western to me. The story is similar to a western, but still not enough elements for a half western in my view. Some people may think it has more western elements than me, but for me it a modern day chase film with a story similar to one used in many westerns.

The itā€™s not a western. Otherwise we could add Kill Bill, too. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Kill Bill is not an European film :wink:

uuuh lawyered

Btw: what about two British co-productions with Guy Pearce: The Proposition and Ravenous. The first is an outback western and the second one could be considered horror western and itā€™s set during Mexican-American war if I remember correctly. Iā€™d say letā€™s add them for the sake of completeness. Any other opinions and comments?

Havenā€™t seen Ravenous so canā€™t comment on that but The Proposition doesnā€™t qualify in my opinion. Westerns need to be set in North America as far as Iā€™m concerned. Iā€™m sure there are those who disagree (we have had this discussion regularly over the years I think) but that would be my call on it.

I havenā€™t seen Ravenous yet, but from what I read it is an Euro western.

The Proposition is maybe a half western, and is an Australian film anyway.

The Proposition is UK co-produced and western in style, but not a western technically. Same as, for example, Ned Kelly.

A film like Dead Man would be a more likely candidate, due to it being a western. But, the German money in it aside, it is purely an American film.

But there are cases more borderline than that, which would be nice to discuss.

Havenā€™t seen Ravenous, by the way.

For me personally, The Proposition definitely qualifies as a western (Wikipedia tells me that westerns set in Australia are known as ā€œmeat pie westernsā€, although I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever heard the term), and tbh is one of the best Iā€™ve ever seen. But I can fully appreciate the argument that a western set geographically outside of North America (or, being even more fundamental, outside the ā€œwild westā€) cannot by definition be a ā€œwesternā€. Itā€™s a bit like the argument about champagne coming from anywhere other than Champagne. On the other hand I donā€™t think it belongs on this, the Spaghetti Western Database. I mean, itā€™s just instinctive, I donā€™t feel that there should be a dollar or a percentage threshold that confirms a movie as either ā€œqualifiedā€ or ā€œDISqualifiedā€. Itā€™s just that in the instance of The Proposition, the Euro involvement isnā€™t obvious enough, for me.

But, bear in mind I know cock-all about cock-all. I put my jumper on inside-out this morning. :slight_smile:

Two recent Italian productions (1 feature length film with Castellari and 1 short):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIL-2FNhB-k

http://www.farwest.it/?p=13902[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIL-2FNhB-k