Western novels

I think one of the reasons i became interested in westerns was as a kid going into my brothers bedroom and starring at those great covers of his louis lamour collection, .later i actually began to read the books and started reading max brand,zane grey and others.does anyone read westerns,and if so who are your fav authors?

There is/was a german author(actually it’ a pseudonym for 2 writers, each one very good) named Robert Ullman who is much better than every other one I’ve read. There are about 240 novels, written between 1956 and 1975, and the astonishing thing about them is, only a few of them are mediocre.
There are often unusual storys with smart dialogue, and you never know how it ends. A clever fusion of realistic detail and mythological approach. Some of them are real extraordinary.

And of course they are very different from a spaghetti western.

Hi,

right now I’m reading “Whispering Sands”, an anthology of gold-rush type western stories by Earl Stanley Gardiner. Very enjoyable and I think SW fans would appreciate them.

I just finnished reading “Hombre” by Elmore Leonard, it was good but a bit different than the film.

A very Spaghetti Western feeling novel is “Incident at Twenty Mile” very bizzare story by Trevenian check it out.

Hombre is indeed a good novel, and the film, which is the better one in comparison, owes much to Leonard’s book.

The Joe Millard novels are quite good :slight_smile:

I’d recommend anything by Thomas Eidson. ‘St Agnes’ Stand’, ‘All God’s Children’, Hannah’s Gift’ or ‘The Last Ride’ which was filmed as ‘The Missing’ with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett. He’s a modern writer who constructs great stories set in the west. I enjoyed all of them.

[quote=“Phil H, post:7, topic:446”]I’d recommend anything by Thomas Eidson. ‘St Agnes’ Stand’, ‘All God’s Children’, Hannah’s Gift’ or ‘The Last Ride’ which was filmed as ‘The Missing’ with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchett. He’s a modern writer who constructs great stories set in the west. I enjoyed all of them.[/quote]sounds good i’ll have to check him out,i enjoyed the missing.

Which writer’s have a style closer to SPaghetti Westerns than AMerican ones? If I was gonna start anywhere it would be there…