VOTE For Your BEST 15 DIRECTORS SW/EURO WESTERNS

VOTE FOR YOUR BEST 15 DIRECTORS SW / EURO WESTERNS

Magnificent Directors From Italy , Germany and Spain Dominate this Exciting Category.

ALFONSO BRESCIA JOAQUIN ROMERO MARCHENT SERGIO LEONE HARALD REINL

I haven’t submitted my votes yet, SD, since you clearly forgot to nominate Giulio Petroni (Death Rides a Horse, Tepepa)

Sorry Scherp !
I had Petroni written , then I said Harald Philipp dont forget him and erased Petroni :smiley:
I like Giulio Petroni and he is included now. :slight_smile:

Please add

Colizzi
Guerrieri
Cicero
Vancini
Questi
Martino

and yes, yes
Barboni alias Clucher

SD: I couldn’t find Lucio Fulci, whyhe is not on your list? Please add him to your list and of course Enzo Barboni is a Must! :slight_smile:

Bruno Corbucci, the Brother of Sergio, directed also some western.

@ Stanton and Paco

Most of those Stanton add ons were 1 Film Directors ! But I have ADDED and others too :o
Lucio Fulci for Paco as Lucio Fulci is such a GREAT HORROR/Giallo/Cult director :smiley:

NOW get Voting Please I think every LIKELY SW/Euro Director is now included !!

And he made good SW too !

I voted : Corbucci, Leone, Marchent, Reinl, Baldi, Girolami, Lupo, Sollima, Tessari, Valeri, Petroni, Barboni, B. Corbucci, Fulici and any other for DAMIANO DAMIANI (SD: How could you forget him?). :slight_smile:

SD: Please delete Dario Argento, he never directed a Western! Tinto Brass directed one: Yankee (1966).

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:8, topic:917”]I voted : Corbucci, Leone, Marchent, Reinl, Baldi, Girolami, Lupo, Sollima, Tessari, Valeri, Petroni, Barboni, B. Corbucci, Fulici and any other for DAMIANO DAMIANI (SD: How could you forget him?). :slight_smile:

SD: Please delete Dario Argento, he never directed a Western! Tinto Brass directed one: Yankee (1966).[/quote]

VERY GOOD Voting Choices Paco , thanks for voting and for your postings on ADD etc

Damiano Damiani :BULLET FOR THE GENERAL 1967 (Great) I missed him how ? :o In Now.
Dario Argento ; CO Director on FIVE MAN ARMY 70 & TODAY ITS ME TOM. YOU 68 :smiley:
It is not 100% confirmed but he is in as he is MASTER of GIALLOS :smiley:
Tinto Brass : Only 1 Film really should stay out but I will ADD as you are GOOD Voter
:smiley: :wink:

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO, post:9, topic:917”]Damiano Damiani :BULLET FOR THE GENERAL 1967 (Great) I missed him how ? :o In Now.
:smiley: ;)[/quote]
Maybe you forget him because he did [glow=red,2,300]Un genio, due compari, un pollo[/glow] too!
:smiley:

Maybe Paco that Genio is a bit funny (or not)
:smiley: ;D
Seriously though there are so many great deserving talented names to remember :slight_smile:

CURRENTLY IN THE TOP 5 POSITIONS :

RAFAEL R. MARCHENT SERGIO MARTINO S. LEONE S. CORBUCCI M.BAVA S.SOLLIMA

But in which order ?? VOTE Now to find out and change the scores.

[quote=“SARTANA DJANGO BALLADS, post:9, topic:917”]Dario Argento ; CO Director on FIVE MAN ARMY 70 & TODAY ITS ME TOM. YOU 68 :smiley:
It is not 100% confirmed but he is in as he is MASTER of GIALLOS [/quote]

About Argento…
Some friends of mine and I talked with Peter Graves a little over a year ago and he said that Dario Argento had nothing to do with the making of FIVE MAN ARMY. He said that the whole movie was directed by the American, Don Taylor, regardless of what rumors have been perpetuated throughout the years.

Also, Brett Halsey (Montgomery Ford) told us the same thing in regards to TODAY IT’S ME…TOMORROW IT’S YOU. He said that Argento might have had a small role in the writing of the screenplay; but, that was all.

And Sergio Donati says that Argento didn’t really work on any of the drafts of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Donati says that Argento was merely at one of the story conferences for Leone’s film and contributed a small amount to the film in that way.

But, I cannot argue at all that Argento made some classic Giallos!!

Anyway…

Nice poll!!
I voted for (in random order): Leone, Corbucci, Sollima, Petroni, Castellari (Girolami), Guerrieri (truly an underrated director, in my opinion!), both Marchents, Baldi, Baldanello, Tessari (for his Ringo films, if nothing else!), Giraldi, Valerii, Parolini (on the strength of the very first, and in my opinion the best, Sartana film!), and Cardone.

[i]Edit:

No need to update the poll, amigos; but, I just happened to think of another director I like very much that is often overlooked and underrated.
That is Aldo Flori, the man that gave us ANDA MUCHACHO SPARA! (w/Fabio Testi) and FIVE GIANTS FROM TEXAS (w/Guy Madison)…two of my favorites! I just wanted to mention him.

Your research and facts about DARIO ARGENTO and SWs are much appreciated Chris.
It is a grey area but as you have relayed some first hand knowledge and talked with
actual top actors involved like Graves/Halsey, then I think we must go with your post.

Good voting again and a wide range of directors was chosen indeed.
Aldo Flori I agree is a very good SW director and should be included in future polls.
Five Giants From Texas with Guy Madison is also a top class SW in all departments. :slight_smile:

PS. Alas this Poll I fear cannot be added to :’(

you have missed out sam peckinpah…

altho strictly speaking he does not qualify, “the wild bunch”, in the spiritual sense of the word was the most spectacular spaghetti western of all time… i think it had all the essential ingredients plus some extra ones… on the one hand it could be seen as misogynist because all the women are bitches and whores, but in reality it is ultimately a feminist statement because everyone only finds themselves acting in such a negative way because men are in charge.

“Cross of iron” of course is not even a western in any obvious sense of the word…but again i think it holds the usual essential ingredients. I could go into some of its more subtle irony, but might get myself into trouble… :-\

I am happy to miss Peckinpah as he has NIL to do with SWs. He is on the USA /DE poll.

I am awaiting instead some good suggestions for additional great GERMAN Directors.

My favorite directors are…

Giulio Petroni
Ferdinando Baldi
Sergio Corbucci
Robert Hossein
Tonino Valerii
Bruno Corbucci

mine are

the three Sergio’s (Leone, Corbucci, Sollima), Tonino Valerii, Giulo Petroni

1. Sergio Leone
  2. Segio Corbucci
  3. Giuseppe Vari