Vengeance Is Mine / Per 100.000 dollari t’ammazzo (Giovanni Fago, 1967)

Not really, He has a full light beard here

Does anybody have the Brazilian DVD for sale?

Is it specifically the Brazilian DVD you’re after or just any English dubbed version? I don’t have one to sell myself but iOffer have a DVDR for sale and I’m pretty sure it’s where I got mine a few years ago.

I’m after the actual Brazilian DVD. Already have the Franco Cleef DVD-R and the Koch box set. I just want to own an official English language DVD.

There are plenty of sellers on MercadoLivre (Brazilian ebay)

I can watch the opening scene of this movie on repeat, I think it stands out as one of coolest openings of the genre, and it’s got to be the English dub “Haahhaha So you’re ready for the grave digger aah?! BANG

1 Like

Love this film! It’ll never leave my top 20. I wish Koch or Arrow would release this and 10,000 Dollars for a Massacre on Blu-ray.

1 Like

It would seem like a no brainer for Arrow to put out these 2 Garko classics … as there are excellent prints and clean English audio, not to mention the leading man is still around to give an interview! … Hope it happens :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Saw this cute fotobusta in the background while watching Lamberto Bava’s A Blade in the Dark (1983).

4 Likes

I noticed that, too!

Vengeance Is Mine is fairly entertaining IMO with a slightly different revenge plot, but a bit dragging especially in the last few scenes. Maybe some detail of the flash back is not easily understood. Otherwise the story is very simple and with a very nice mood and fine acting. It looks very good and definitely not cheap.
Garko’s character was more entertaining in Blood At Sundown/One Thousand Dollars on the Black (Alberto Cardone) (7/10).
The music very good sometimes but far from always.
Overall I think this is another (weak) 6/10 SW and rank 69 in my SW Top 75 might be fair. It is probably the combination of story and actors that not quite satisfy my taste enough (and I rate the “twin SW” 10,000 Dollars Blood Money even lower).

67 John The Bastard (Armando Crispino)
68 Death Played the Flute /Requiem For A Bounty Killer (Angelo Pannaccio)
69 Vengeance Is Mine/$100,000 for a Killing (Giovanni Fago)
70 And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (Juan Bosch) music Bruno Nicolai
71 Death Walks In Laredo/Three Golden Boys/ The Pistol, The Karate And The Eye (Enzo Peri) music Marcello Giombini

2 Likes

After a few watchings more I must confess that I was too critical. I even like the flash back scenes by the sea coast mainly because of the music and arty style like in the beginning of Johnny Hamlet.
Very nice cinematography.

I increase my rating to a (weak) 7/10.

1. Hate Thy Neighbor (Ferdinando Baldi) 1968
    x44 Django The Last Killer (Giuseppe Vari) music Roberto Pregadio 1967
    45 Long Days Of Vengeance (Florestano Vancini ) music Armando Trovajoli/Ennio Morricone 1967
    46 Vengeance Is Mine/$100,000 for a Killing (Giovanni Fago) 1967 music Nora Orlandi

Intro scene with Fernando Sancho and his men in church is dynamic and playful. Too bad such scenes in the rest of the movie are too few to mention. There are some nice shots here and there, but there is also too much theatrical drama where there should be more action. I liked the flashback scenes, they were emotional and poetic. Template for all the flashback scenes in spaghetti westerns was off course set in For a Few Dollars More, but it is maybe the ones in Duck, Your Sucker that made greatest effect within the movie, and the ones here remind me of DYS (which was shot 4 years later). One could say that the woman from flashbacks disappeared in the similar way as the one from DYS, but in the later it is clear that John is forced to be on another continent, while there is no such resolution in this movie, which is a shame, makes that idea look half-baked.

@trouble_jw Let us know what you think of this one if you watch the version on YouTube.

I shall do! Thank u :slight_smile:

Vengeance is Mine has been updated to the new layout (3.0). Let us know if you can add anything: pictures, posters, trivia, facts, figures, links, etc…

Here’s another new poll. Top of the page, first post. :+1:

2 Likes

Been waiting for this one…thanks.

1 Like

Two years later Vengeance Is Mine has grown even more for me, though still with a 7/10 rating. It is a really solid SW in most aspects IMO. The execution of the revenge theme is well balanced and done with some finess and depth in the characters and story, good direction and cinematography, fine SW leading actors and very nice music by Nora Orlandi.

28 A Stranger In Town/A Dollar Between The Teeth (Luigi Vanzi) 1967
29 Django (Sergio Corbucci) music Luis Bacalov 1966
30 Vengeance Is Mine/$100,000 for a Killing (Giovanni Fago) 1967 music Nora Orlandi
31 Challenge Of The Mackennas/Badlands Drifter/Amen/A Dollar and a Grave (León Klimovsky) music Francesco De Masi 1970
32 The Dirty Outlaws / El desperado (Franco Rossetti) music Gianni Ferrio 1967

4 Likes

Opened my ‘Blood Money’ box-set last night, and watched ‘Vengeance is Mine’ (1967) for the first time.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, even more so than Garko and Camaso’s other offering, ‘$10,000 Blood Money’, which is also excellent, but in a different way.

‘Vengeance’ features another haunting and most beautiful music score by Nora Orlandi, superb acting from the cast, dream-sequences, vengeance, retaliation, family loyalty/betrayal, loss, brutality, and moments of regret. Not to mention a dazzling display of SW regulars such as Fernando Sancho and Piero Lulli popping along to spice up the tense proceedings.

The story, brother against brother, may have been done before, but seldom with so much verve and style.

I have to admit to not being a particular fan of Claudio Camaso (Volonte); but, in this he excels, as does Gianni Garko. Here, we have two tortured souls who each have their own way of dealing with the unlucky poker hand that they have both been dealt in life…a hand of misfortune that has set them on opposing sides, and destinies that can only result in the inevitable conclusion of brother against brother.

In a warped SW kind of way, it is a ‘Family’ film, because it deals with the ultimate in a fractured, emaciated house-hold that is torn apart by truth and inevitable tragedy, and thereby starved of life and purpose.

As other reviewers have commented: It is ‘Cain and Abel’ tale set in the arid deserts of Almeria.

Note: When viewing ‘Vengeance’, I opted for the Italian audio, with English subtitles. It seemed preferable to the English dub. Sometimes, the Italian audio makes all the difference in the world…one only has to hearken back to the atrocious English dub for Corbucci’s ‘Django’… :unamused:

I was very surprised by just how good this SW fable was; and, for a first-time viewing, it was a very memorable one. Next time, very soon, I’ll be watching it with an audio commentary.

Very pleasantly surprised with this shining diamond in the rough…
A resounding and hearty thumbs up from me. :cowboy_hat_face:

If you haven’t watched this yet, then please do…a tale of woe that could have been written by the Bard himself.

9 Likes