Vengeance for Vengeance / Vendetta per vendetta (Mario Colucci, 1968)

Would anyone be kind enough to send me a dvd-r copy of this? Maybe a trade for a dvd-r of the ruthless four.

Hi Folks ,
as promised to the Reverend for his generosity in providing me with the movies Vengeance for Vengeance and $10,000 for a Massacre , here are my humble two pence worth .
Vengeance for Vengeance : sadly , with the early demise of Miss Nusciak , the film sank into a vapid yawn . And this , after such a promising start .
$10,000 dollars for a Massacre , on the other hand , proved to be a much meatier dish . It retained its appeal to the end , being a much heftier production all round .With plenty of play and substance for the main characters ( including the luscious Loredana who managed a bit more longevity in this one before expiring ), there was colour , texture , sound and drama , and the plot fair cantered along . A fine discovery , thanks , again , to the good Reverend .
As I am not an afficiando of the genre , by any means , I can only say I like what I like , and I liked $10,000 dollars a lot , was dissapointed with Vengeance , and neither one came close to Django and certainly nowhere near The Outlaw Josey Wales ( which might not even be a Spaghetti Western anyway ). However , I am open to rebuke and chastisement and hope I havenā€™t hurt anyones feelingsā€¦!!!
Adios Amigos for now

You are right, that is not a Spaghetti Western. There was absolutely no Italian (or Spanish) involvement in the production of that film whatsoeverā€“and without that, it canā€™t be a Spaghetti Western.

Glad you liked $10,000 BLOOD MONEY (aka $10,000 FOR A MASSACRE) that is one of my all-time favorite Westerns from any country!

[quote=ā€œmahlstick, post:42, topic:1053ā€]as promised to the Reverend for his generosity in providing me with the movies Vengeance for Vengeance and $10,000 for a Massacre , here are my humble two pence worth .
Vengeance for Vengeance : sadly , with the early demise of Miss Nusciak , the film sank into a vapid yawn .[/quote]
Youā€™re welcome ā€¦ but wrong :wink:

Seems reasonable - I think V4V is one of those gems you appreciate when youā€™ve sunk yourself into the genre a bit. Itā€™s not gonna be as accessable or as ā€˜professionalā€™ a job as TOJW - but I, on the whole, prefer these budgety b-level spaghettis.
No ā€œrebukeā€, no ā€œchastisementā€ and no hurt feelings amigo, and Iā€™m pleased you had the opportunity to see more of dear Loredana - oh poor Loredana :'(.

[quote=ā€œmahlstick, post:42, topic:1053ā€] Vengeance for Vengeance : sadly , with the early demise of Miss Nusciak , the film sank into a vapid yawn . And this , after such a promising start .
[/quote][quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:44, topic:1053ā€]Youā€™re welcome ā€¦ but wrong ;)Seems reasonable - I think V4V is one of those gems you appreciate when youā€™ve sunk yourself into the genre a bit.[/quote]

Watched this again last night, and am pleased to report that Iā€™m still thrilled by it. Itā€™s slow, maybe - too slow or too boring for our Brother above, but I think itā€™s one of those films that will appeal more to those who have soaked themselves a bit into the genre. I think the relationships - between Chaliko and both women, and between Irelandā€™s major character and his mexican right-hand man are excellent. The major is seen as cold and ruthless, but something has instilled loyalty into the Mexican, and we now see the major more in those spaghetti shades of grey that we love. Irelandā€™s gang are great, as Iā€™ve mentioned before - the only truely honourable one of the motley crew is the Mexican. The sadistic reverend :o and the dandy coward 8) :stuck_out_tongue: are brilliantly despicable.
Good end shootout, as in the bar, with pistols borrowed from a Fidani flic, that only ran out of bullets when a dramatic pause was needed - otherwise I wasnā€™t bothered by any plotholes that may have been previously mentioned. Unusual end as well.
Itā€™s still a goody folks.

Watched this spag recently, and quite agree with some of the above comments! Itā€™s a low budget film with not much of a plot, but despite that it was ok. Moody and gritty with John Ireland as the baddie. Didnā€™t care much for Gianni Medici acting performance and with a better script, this could have been a much better film. Soundtrack is good though! 5/10

The music to this one I had heard via CD in the past, but had forgotten what film it belonged to. Excellent score and one of the composers best western scores I have have heard so far. Story of revenge is simple, but effective. Was trying to figure out of the main characters who prefered revenge the most, a tough call. John Ireland is excellent as ever, but think I prefer him as the good guy. They like the whipping scenes in this one and is just one of the elements that make this a gritty Spaghetti.

I do not know why, but Shanikoā€™s sneering laugh towards the end reminds me of the final appearance (a figment of Bobby Cooperā€™s imagination) of Darrell, the crazy mechanic played by Billy Bob Thornton in U Turn.

Vendetta per vendetta is, as the honorable Reverend Danite so eloquently put it years ago, ā€œyet another unhealthy slice of dark, moody and violent spaghetti-pieā€. It might not be in anyoneā€™s top twenty (it is in my alternative top twenty though). But it is certainly a strong contester for two other prizes; one for the longest whipping scene and the other for most rounds fired in a revolver duel without reloading in any spaghetti western ever.

As nobody has bitten my head off after my last (and first) review on the SWDB, I have tried another one.

2 Likes

Terrific review, Morgan.

ā€¦Thanks a lot, mate!

Yeah, a great read Morgan. Thanks. Keep ā€˜em cominā€™.

That Shaliko character got seen in this during Spagvember, and then he reappeared as a henchman in The Last Killer watched soon after, which I hadnā€™t previously noticed (althoā€™ I knew Iā€™d seen him in summat else). Apparently heā€™s in Red Sun as well but I canā€™t remember much about that oneā€¦
Anyway, I know itā€™s been previously mentioned, but he was married to dear Loredana - lucky bastard!

Thank you, Reverend. It didnā€™t make it tp the SWDB Main Page, though! :grinning:
Yeah, he must have been a lucky manā€¦

Great work. I overlooked it, will put a link on the Main Page later today

Done

(I needed a few characters)

Hi scherpschutter
Thank you for your help, and also for encouraging words. You will realize that for a newcomer to (non Leone) SWs like I am, to post a review on the SWDB, I feel a little like the kid lecturing his father on how to reproduce (I donā€™tā€™ know if you have this saying in your country). So if you have suggestions and/or criticism, I would appreciate it.
Next, I am thinking of reviewing Los buitres cavarƔn tu fosa, it also lacks a review.
Du you by the way know if there is a guy at the Forum named Tomas Knapko? He reviewed a Rope at Dawn some time ago?
Best regards
morgan

Edit: This was an email. DidnĀ“t know it would end up on the filmā€™s page. morgan

I think Tomas is on the forum, donā€™t know under what name. He is a friend on facebook, so if you have a message, I can get in contact with him

It sounds, by the comments here, like a possible top 20 SW or near so for me, since I for example like a moody, tense atmosphere and good appropriate SW music. Somewhere in the quality range between Requiem For Gringo and Mannaja would be to my satisfaction.

However there is obviously no official DVD or Bluray releaseā€¦

It does actually have an official DVD from Italy but Italian audio only. If you want a copy in English, I have one. Itā€™s the print from the DVD with the English audio added from the Greek VHS.

Thanks, I later viewed a Youtube copy and I found the film to be fairly good but maybe not able to reach my rank 7+ out of 10 criteria more likely a 6, so in this case I will probably await with further action.